7850 freaking out!

XSoloDolo

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
My 7850 will play bfbc2 for about 2 mins and then all of a sudden the game will just spaz out and crash with the textures going all wonkey for a split second and when i crash to the desktop all my programs keep crashing and when i try to watch a video the sound is really messed up and the video is all purple and yellow and green and pixelated. Does this mean i need a new card?

Solution
Hmm it does sounds like the GPU has taken damage for that overclock. Since it was already overclocked from manufactor you may have stretched it too far. I guess your temperatures are fine? Are you sure that your overclock on the CPU is stable?

XSoloDolo

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

computer specs:
Processor: Phenom 2 X4 965 Be @ 4.0ghz

VideoCard: HD 7850 oc @ 1050

MotherBoard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 am3+

PowerSupply: RoseWill Green RG630-S12 630 watt

Case: NZXT Gamma

WirelessCard: Asus N15

Cpu Cooler: Antec Kuhler h20 620

Yes i have overclocked the card but it was running just fine up until now and as soon as the game started crashing, which wasn't as bad at first just a crash to the desktop and that's it, i put it back to the original clock and shit hit the fan after that.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Hmm it does sounds like the GPU has taken damage for that overclock. Since it was already overclocked from manufactor you may have stretched it too far. I guess your temperatures are fine? Are you sure that your overclock on the CPU is stable?

Solution

XSoloDolo

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

i'm not sure i can try to put it back to stock but i doubt that is the issue. Some of the graphical glitches were pretty obvious as a failure on the gpu end i.e the wierd checkerboard neonish colored artifacts whenever I tried to play any video. I guess what I was trying to ask on this thread was weather or not something like that could be fixed because it seemed like a very unorthodox failure due to the fact that I was stable on that overclock for a sold month and a half and then it just crapped out and didn't show the suttle artifacts and just straight up failed and wouldn't even try computing any graphical caluculation the cpu was throwing at it.

Mahisse

Distinguished
Yeh it is most likely the GPU that died on you. The CPU overclock question mostly came because you described the whole system as unstable. You can just make a quick test and plug the monitor into the on-board GPU just to rule it out.
But yeah it sounds like you should try to return it if you still have a warranty. No need to mention that you overclocked it yourself(!).
The only thing you can do except returning it is "baking" the card but obviously not recommended at all. Baking is literally putting the card into an oven and hoping that the soldering will re-attached correctly to the components. There are several ways of doing this. You can also use a heat gun... But again, not recommended. especially if you can return the card.

XSoloDolo

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

Ok so I put my CPU back to stock and turns out it was my CPU overclock that was screwing everything over and I actually remember today was when I overclocked it and extra 100 mghz i only had like an hour of sleep when I did that and I took a long nap today and totally forgot that I did so long story short you were right it was the CPU. Thanks for the suggestion I almost bought a new card too!