Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

First time build need confirmation / help

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
July 26, 2013 8:09:28 AM


Hey all, getting ready to make my first build and that too, a hackintosh! I already have an optical drive, SSD, and 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM so this is all i have so far:

- Rosewill FBM-01 Dual Fans MicroATX Mini Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811147123
$29.99


- EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST SuperClocked 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130910
$164.99 - $10 MIR = $155


- FSP Group FSP450-60GHS(85)-R 450W Micro ATX12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Intel Core i3/i5/i7 Compatible Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817104132
$59.99


- MSI Z77MA-G45 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$109.99


- Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P
Item #: N82E16819116782
$179.99

Subtotal: $544.95 - $10 MIR = $535



My only two main concerns are:

1) Is the graphics card TOO BIG for that case? If not, will the cooling be sufficient enough or should i highly consider water cooling for the GFX card?

2) Will the 450 watt PSU be enough for all that hardware?


If you have suggestions, im all ears. Such as, better hardware for same price (considering this is a hackintosh build). The more i can learn the better.

Thank you!
July 26, 2013 10:15:36 AM

I definitely agree with Axl about going Haswell, but I will disagree about using a Xeon in this build. It's completely unnecessary for gaming.

I would do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4430 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($103.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($67.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $678.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-26 13:15 EDT-0400)
Related resources
July 26, 2013 10:39:36 AM

Quote:


Moderator

I definitely agree with Axl about going Haswell, but I will disagree about using a Xeon in this build. It's completely unnecessary for gaming.

Yeah you do that. But that is your personal opinion. For gaming it is good to have faster cpu that keeps working better longer time to future. Now we know this. In couple months there is coming out new PS4 and Xbox and they will use 8 core cpu. This means that you need for gaming more treads and better cpu than 4430.
I think it is better buy more power for same money. But g-unit is moderator and have his own agenda for "helping people to have not so good and fastpc to use. Maybe he thinks that you want to upgrade more often.
Otherwise, it is difficult to justify or understand his recommendations in this section

Best solution

July 26, 2013 2:28:07 PM
Share

AxlFone said:

Yeah you do that. But that is your personal opinion. For gaming it is good to have faster cpu that keeps working better longer time to future. Now we know this. In couple months there is coming out new PS4 and Xbox and they will use 8 core cpu. This means that you need for gaming more treads and better cpu than 4430.


This has been debunked hundreds of times - what's going in the consoles is a glorified AMD A10, the "8 cores" in the processor are essentially four CPU cores and four GPU cores, that does not mean that the console is going to get a better processor than the PC. Any console will never be even remotely in the same vicinity as a PC. The consoles are solely for the purpose of playing games, the PC has more use than that. I'm just getting really tired of console fanboys bringing out the "console = PC" argument. They're not close, and never will be. Consoles have to meet a price point and PCs don't.

Quote:

I think it is better buy more power for same money. But g-unit is moderator and have his own agenda for "helping people to have not so good and fastpc to use. Maybe he thinks that you want to upgrade more often.


That's not what I'm saying at all. I do not agree with the choice of a Xeon, never have, never will, and it's not a gaming processor. And especially not for a low budget rig. No matter what Tech Power Up tells you. An i5 is really all you need.
July 27, 2013 6:19:15 AM

Thank you so much for the replies and help and please bear with a relatively noob

Like i mentioned, i was primarily focusing on building a hackintosh and upon researching, i was led to believe that ivy bridge works better "out of box" for hackintosh as compared to sandy/haswell. Is that not true?

Also my other concern was keep cost around or under $500. Im not looking to play all games on "ultra", i can suffice with high for some of the extreme resource eating games.

Sorry i should have mentioned the cost range in my first post. And the only parts i need are the Mobo, processor, graphics card, case and PSU

Thank you so much for the help
July 27, 2013 7:46:54 AM

Quote:
That's not what I'm saying at all. I do not agree with the choice of a Xeon, never have, never will, and it's not a gaming processor. And especially not for a low budget rig. No matter what Tech Power Up tells you. An i5 is really all you need.
My builds: Home PC:


Actually it is. Really good cpu for budget build. Because it is cooler it do have HT and 8 treads.
You can have better cpu if you do overclock than 4670k / 3570k at same price.
Here comes the save. you do not need OC able mobo or cooler. And you still have more power on cpu than 2011 3820
And this means that you do not need upgrade so soon. Stll i3 with HT can handle games. Same thing is then when you need to upgrade the 3570 or 4430 and HT cpu is still working fine. Cooler cpu means more quiet build. What more you can ask for?

Quote:
i was led to believe that ivy bridge works better "out of box" for hackintosh as compared to sandy/haswell. Is that not true?


maybe so. They are older so maybe better drivers. If ivy works then xeon must work. Same cpu as the lga 1155 3770
I think is more motherboard issue if it works or not. So maybe best look that. Network adapter and sound card are maybe the issue? Hope you get this build working fine :) 

!