Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Is it really worth upgrading to Windows 8 for DirectX 11.1 for Battlefield 4?EDIT:Upgrade to GTX 760 enough for Battlefield 4?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
July 26, 2013 10:49:55 AM

What am I gonna miss if I'm using DirectX 11 in Windows 7? Is there is any tweak to completely upgrade to DirectX 11.1 in Windows 7?

EDIT: Is an upgrade to GTX 760 enough for Battlefield 4?
July 26, 2013 11:13:30 AM

I think it depends on, do you like windows 8? (If i remember correctly, 8.1 was going to support either 11.1 or 11.2)
If you like windows 8, then why not?
But the support for 11.1 is only listed to improve CPU performance some. So if you have a weak CPU, than maybe? but then would it be more efficient to spend the extra money you would spend on windows 8 (or 8.1, idr) on a better processor.

just my 2 cents
-Connor
July 26, 2013 11:24:39 AM

cdburner5911 said:
I think it depends on, do you like windows 8? (If i remember correctly, 8.1 was going to support either 11.1 or 11.2)
If you like windows 8, then why not?
But the support for 11.1 is only listed to improve CPU performance some. So if you have a weak CPU, than maybe? but then would it be more efficient to spend the extra money you would spend on windows 8 (or 8.1, idr) on a better processor.

just my 2 cents
-Connor


I don't like Windows 8.

Will there be a major improvement in graphics in 11.1? Will I miss out a lot in games which utlize 11.1(like Battlefield 4)?

Here are my hardware specs:

MSI GF615M-P33 AM3 Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 970 3.5 GHz Processor
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
EVM 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) RAM
500 GB Seagate Barracuda HDD(Boot Partition is here) + 1 TB WD Blue HDD
LG Super Multi DVD Writer
LG Flatron E2240T 22 inch Monitor.
XFX Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 1 GB DDR5 (upgrading soon to MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 760 Twin Frozer OC 2 GB DDR5 - DirectX 11.1 ready)
XFX PRO550W PSU
Frontech Keyboard and Logitech Mouse(both wireless)

Related resources
July 26, 2013 11:27:31 AM

It's your call...Hell who knows when games will use 11.1. Currently most games are only using up to 10, this might change with the new gen of consoles coming out as they start porting to pc, vise versa. But to tell you the truth your not going to be missing out on much. Windows 7 has partial 11.1 support for shading.

"The following functionality has been added in Direct3D 11.1, which is included with Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Server 2012. Partial support for Direct3D 11.1 is available on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 via the Platform Update for Windows 7, which is available through the Platform Update for Windows 7."

Full support will be on Windows 8 and 8.1
July 26, 2013 11:33:11 AM

Only thing I would change on your build might be monitor, your is 5ms response, might go with a 2ms 120hz. But it's not worth throwing money at, since they one you have is decent. I would go SSD for primary boot partition, and install the game there and all your other games on your mechanical drives. This would give you fast load, response time on the game, and overall on your OS. And possibly your motherboard and cpu and memory, I say this cause your going to upgrade your video card, to get the most out of it your gonna need to upgrade that pci-e card slot.

update-your mobo is going to be your bottleneck with that new video card.
July 26, 2013 10:54:14 PM

lostsurfer said:
Only thing I would change on your build might be monitor, your is 5ms response, might go with a 2ms 120hz. But it's not worth throwing money at, since they one you have is decent. I would go SSD for primary boot partition, and install the game there and all your other games on your mechanical drives. This would give you fast load, response time on the game, and overall on your OS. And possibly your motherboard and cpu and memory, I say this cause your going to upgrade your video card, to get the most out of it your gonna need to upgrade that pci-e card slot.

update-your mobo is going to be your bottleneck with that new video card.


I've already ordered the new card. Anything more is beyond my budget :( . Is it really that bad to use the new card with my current setup :ouch:  :??:  (PCI-E 3.0 being backwards compatible but PCI E 1.0 slot will limit the speed) Should I cancel the order?

Can I expect higher frame rates in games if I purchase a new mobo(please suggest one) with PCI E 3.0 support(GTX 460 which I have is PCI E 2.0)?

About DirectX 11.1 and Windows 7:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/02/26/direc...

I don't think there is any major significance of XINPUT 1.4 or XAudio 2.8 in terms of gameplay experience. What is your opinion on this?

July 27, 2013 6:15:51 PM

avimanyu786 said:

I've already ordered the new card. Anything more is beyond my budget :( . Is it really that bad to use the new card with my current setup :ouch:  :??:  (PCI-E 3.0 being backwards compatible but PCI E 1.0 slot will limit the speed) Should I cancel the order?

Can I expect higher frame rates in games if I purchase a new mobo(please suggest one) with PCI E 3.0 support(GTX 460 which I have is PCI E 2.0)?

About DirectX 11.1 and Windows 7:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/02/26/direc...

I don't think there is any major significance of XINPUT 1.4 or XAudio 2.8 in terms of gameplay experience. What is your opinion on this?


Honestly I wouldn't worry TOO much
There IS a pretty big difference in transfer speeds between pciE 1.0 and 3.0 (2.5 GT/s and 8 GT/s respectively), however, I'm not sure that will hurt the performance too much (looking at some charts online, going from x16 to x4 (not exactly the same, but its roughly similar) you can expect to see (UP TO) a 30% drop in frame rate (with a 570/6970) Link to article Now in reality you would likely see very little difference, so don't be too allarmed

However, I would be a tad worried about your processor, I have a 965 and it is really starting to show its age =[
I would expect that BF4 would be playable with what you will be getting, but I would expect the CPU to bottleneck you. If budget is an issue you could look into a SB i5 and a lower end mobo, which you should be able to get somewhere around $300 for something decent, or you could likely bush that lower if needed

and finally, I would not expect switching from DX11 to DX11.1 to add anything in the line of extra graphics effects (looking at the list of changes its not all that much, as opposed to 10 to 11 adding tessellation and other fun stuff), so to answer your question, if you don't like windows 8, then no, it is not worth it. (besides, you would have to reinstall all your programs, buy win8, and all that fun stuff)
July 27, 2013 8:43:13 PM

cdburner5911 said:
avimanyu786 said:

I've already ordered the new card. Anything more is beyond my budget :( . Is it really that bad to use the new card with my current setup :ouch:  :??:  (PCI-E 3.0 being backwards compatible but PCI E 1.0 slot will limit the speed) Should I cancel the order?

Can I expect higher frame rates in games if I purchase a new mobo(please suggest one) with PCI E 3.0 support(GTX 460 which I have is PCI E 2.0)?

About DirectX 11.1 and Windows 7:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/chuckw/archive/2013/02/26/direc...

I don't think there is any major significance of XINPUT 1.4 or XAudio 2.8 in terms of gameplay experience. What is your opinion on this?


Honestly I wouldn't worry TOO much
There IS a pretty big difference in transfer speeds between pciE 1.0 and 3.0 (2.5 GT/s and 8 GT/s respectively), however, I'm not sure that will hurt the performance too much (looking at some charts online, going from x16 to x4 (not exactly the same, but its roughly similar) you can expect to see (UP TO) a 30% drop in frame rate (with a 570/6970) Link to article Now in reality you would likely see very little difference, so don't be too allarmed

However, I would be a tad worried about your processor, I have a 965 and it is really starting to show its age =[
I would expect that BF4 would be playable with what you will be getting, but I would expect the CPU to bottleneck you. If budget is an issue you could look into a SB i5 and a lower end mobo, which you should be able to get somewhere around $300 for something decent, or you could likely bush that lower if needed

and finally, I would not expect switching from DX11 to DX11.1 to add anything in the line of extra graphics effects (looking at the list of changes its not all that much, as opposed to 10 to 11 adding tessellation and other fun stuff), so to answer your question, if you don't like windows 8, then no, it is not worth it. (besides, you would have to reinstall all your programs, buy win8, and all that fun stuff)


With my current setup, I'm able to play Battlefield 3 at 1920x1080 ultra settings with ease. If I upgrade to an MSI GTX 760 4 GB with a PCI-E x16 3.0 mobo, I should be able play Battle field 4 quite well at the same resolution. If the need arises I can overclock the 970 processor as I have an aftermarket Hyper 212 Evo.

Best solution

July 28, 2013 4:25:57 PM
Share

Well, I guess it is less CPU intensive than I thought.
Well before you upgrade your mobo, I would see how it runs, and if it runs well then I would hold off, and when you have the money, upgrade your CPU and mobo at the same time, as there is really no upgrade options for AM3 (there is a few for AM3+ but I don't think they are top of the line anymore, so I wouldn't think it would be a smart upgrade.)
July 28, 2013 10:40:17 PM

Thanks for clearing all the doubts.
July 31, 2013 7:04:48 AM

Just got my GTX 760(Asus OC edition as MSI version was not available)... games are running really smooth...even Crysis 3(at highest settings)!!!

Moreover I've no regrets about not getting the MSI version. Asus is more than enough for my setup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1739108/asus-gtx...
July 31, 2013 9:45:37 AM

avimanyu786 said:
Just got my GTX 760(Asus OC edition as MSI version was not available)... games are running really smooth...even Crysis 3(at highest settings)!!!


Awesome! Glad its working out for you! :D 
-Connor
July 31, 2013 9:30:45 PM

cdburner5911 said:
avimanyu786 said:
Just got my GTX 760(Asus OC edition as MSI version was not available)... games are running really smooth...even Crysis 3(at highest settings)!!!


Awesome! Glad its working out for you! :D 
-Connor


Thanks a lot :dawa:  !
August 1, 2013 6:27:57 AM

My advice just get the GPU, you already said you don't like Windows 8 ( I love it but that's just me... literally no one likes it but me ).

By the time DX 11.1 or the next Direct X is really relevant there would probably be a newer version of Windows which would be more suitable for you.

I also agree with lost
lostsurfer said:
Only thing I would change on your build might be monitor....
August 1, 2013 7:21:33 AM

Christiaan Lourens said:
My advice just get the GPU, you already said you don't like Windows 8 ( I love it but that's just me... literally no one likes it but me ).

By the time DX 11.1 or the next Direct X is really relevant there would probably be a newer version of Windows which would be more suitable for you.

I also agree with lost
lostsurfer said:
Only thing I would change on your build might be monitor....


Thanks... Its not that I'm completely against Windows 8. I just don't like the fact that there have been many major changes in the GUI of Windows 8 compared to 7. That is why I stick to 7. Also I'll miss out on the new touch screen features of Windows 8 as I don't have touch screen. Moreover, some components of DirectX 11.1 are also available for Windows 7 as well. The 22" monitor I have is big enough for me(at least for gaming at 1920x1080). I also have an option for using the 32" TV(with HDMI) at home. Tested already :)  !

I'll stick to my current build for about 2-3 years. After that I'll upgrade the mobo to one with a PCIe x16 3.0 slot and then also the cabinet. As of now I've restructured the side panel of the cabinet to accommodate space for the Hyper 212 Evo CPU cooler.
August 1, 2013 10:44:40 AM

[/quotemsg]I also have an option for using the 32" TV(with HDMI) at home. Tested already :)  ![/quotemsg]

The moment you get that new card use a HDMI cable and use the TV! trust me gaming on a TV is the new best thing, no more irritating bezel. I game on a 46@ the only time my eyes hurt is when I try and Facebook 7 ft away from the TV.

I don't utilize Windows 8 touchscreen myself but it is slightly although by a hairline fracture faster than Windows 7 it is only now coming out with drivers for almost everything so if you want to get it now is a much better time than 9 months ago.

Wasting money on a new OS is fruitless when you can save up a little more and buy another card and run SLI or Crossfire, in your case SLI (good choice ;)  )
August 3, 2013 5:04:21 AM

Christiaan Lourens said:
I also have an option for using the 32" TV(with HDMI) at home. Tested already :) ![/msgquoted said:


The moment you get that new card use a HDMI cable and use the TV! trust me gaming on a TV is the new best thing, no more irritating bezel. I game on a 46@ the only time my eyes hurt is when I try and Facebook 7 ft away from the TV.

I don't utilize Windows 8 touchscreen myself but it is slightly although by a hairline fracture faster than Windows 7 it is only now coming out with drivers for almost everything so if you want to get it now is a much better time than 9 months ago.

Wasting money on a new OS is fruitless when you can save up a little more and buy another card and run SLI or Crossfire, in your case SLI (good choice ;)  )
]I also have an option for using the 32" TV(with HDMI) at home. Tested already :)  !


The moment you get that new card use a HDMI cable and use the TV! trust me gaming on a TV is the new best thing, no more irritating bezel. I game on a 46@ the only time my eyes hurt is when I try and Facebook 7 ft away from the TV.

I don't utilize Windows 8 touchscreen myself but it is slightly although by a hairline fracture faster than Windows 7 it is only now coming out with drivers for almost everything so if you want to get it now is a much better time than 9 months ago.

Wasting money on a new OS is fruitless when you can save up a little more and buy another card and run SLI or Crossfire, in your case SLI (good choice ;)  )


Totally agree with you...gaming on a widescreen TV is definitely amazing :)  ! As of the OS I'm fine with Windows 7.

If I plan to buy another 760(for SLI) after 3 years will it still be available? How much price drop can I expect if yes?


August 3, 2013 12:40:37 PM

Quote:
If I plan to buy another 760(for SLI) after 3 years will it still be available? How much price drop can I expect if yes?


Please never do this... :no: NEVER. Do not buy 3 year old tech unless you really have to, 2 years max for a GPU unless you buy a card that use to be top of the line 3 years ago, but still it's not recommended. Rather buy the 760's replacement (760 being the bottom of the line top range new cards) Titan & 780 being the top, but due to price not remotely worth it. PRice drop will be significant since it will be 3 generations old, however don't expect it to be free.:p 

With Haswell & Maxwell being the new big thing I am sure in 4 years the next gen should be out including DDR4 Ram should become relevant in most systems by then so rather play games for an extra year on medium-low and buy a new card the year after that, by new I mean a VGA that's state of the art at the time of purchase.

If you disagree, it's up to you but my recommendation is the above :) 
August 3, 2013 10:27:00 PM

Christiaan Lourens said:
Quote:
If I plan to buy another 760(for SLI) after 3 years will it still be available? How much price drop can I expect if yes?


Please never do this... :no: NEVER. Do not buy 3 year old tech unless you really have to, 2 years max for a GPU unless you buy a card that use to be top of the line 3 years ago, but still it's not recommended. Rather buy the 760's replacement (760 being the bottom of the line top range new cards) Titan & 780 being the top, but due to price not remotely worth it. PRice drop will be significant since it will be 3 generations old, however don't expect it to be free.:p 

With Haswell & Maxwell being the new big thing I am sure in 4 years the next gen should be out including DDR4 Ram should become relevant in most systems by then so rather play games for an extra year on medium-low and buy a new card the year after that, by new I mean a VGA that's state of the art at the time of purchase.

If you disagree, it's up to you but my recommendation is the above :) 


Ok...Thanks for the suggestion :)  ! Its better I'll go for a complete upgrade and build a new rig after 2-3 years. Is it better to stick to a single card solution to avoid micro stuttering issues in SLI configurations?
September 28, 2013 11:59:48 PM

As Battlefield 4 will work better on windows 8, what will the extra features be if using windows 8 better lens flare, texture etc. or will there just be a slight increase in fps.
October 18, 2013 8:15:47 PM

avimanyu786 said:
Just got my GTX 760(Asus OC edition as MSI version was not available)... games are running really smooth...even Crysis 3(at highest settings)!!!

Moreover I've no regrets about not getting the MSI version. Asus is more than enough for my setup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1739108/asus-gtx...


By what you're saying, do you mean that the MSI version is better than Asus?
October 22, 2013 4:36:07 AM

lemons13579 said:
avimanyu786 said:
Just got my GTX 760(Asus OC edition as MSI version was not available)... games are running really smooth...even Crysis 3(at highest settings)!!!

Moreover I've no regrets about not getting the MSI version. Asus is more than enough for my setup.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1739108/asus-gtx...


By what you're saying, do you mean that the MSI version is better than Asus?


The MSI version was my first choice. Unfortunately it wasn't available in the local stores. So I got the Asus version and I'm pretty satisfied with it. Later in that link I saw that the Asus card has been recommended as some issues have been reported on the MSI version. But I've also read in other posts in this site that the MSI version is the best(performance wise) and also the most silent card.
The Asus card is having a Direct CU II feature and an auto fan cleaning system. Every aftermarket cooler has its own USP.

!