Far Cry 3 Crashing on startup

Recently I have run into an annoying problem with Far Cry 3 on my new gaming rig. I was messing with an overclock on my cpu, just testing some things out but when i brought the cpu back to stock, Far Cry 3 wouldn't launch anymore. It will just give me a black screen then give me this error code:
Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: farcry3.exe
Application Version: 0.1.0.1
Application Timestamp: 51226a37
Fault Module Name: FC3.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.1.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 512269f5
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 002aa2a6
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Ive done some research and it is defiantly a hardware error but i couldn't get a definitive answer. Ive gone through my BIOS to check to see if anything looks abnormal but I couldn't find anything. Ive also tried to reinstall and overclock my cpu again but it still didn't help. Everything else on my computer runs fine. Is there something in my BIOS that I might have enabled that I shouldn't?? Can anyone please give me some help??

Computer specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9 ghz
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
Video Card: Sapphire HD 7950
RAM: Team Dark 8gb DDR3 1600mhz
10 answers Last reply
More about cry crashing startup
  1. sscot600 said:
    Recently I have run into an annoying problem with Far Cry 3 on my new gaming rig. I was messing with an overclock on my cpu, just testing some things out but when i brought the cpu back to stock, Far Cry 3 wouldn't launch anymore. It will just give me a black screen then give me this error code:
    Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: farcry3.exe
    Application Version: 0.1.0.1
    Application Timestamp: 51226a37
    Fault Module Name: FC3.dll
    Fault Module Version: 0.1.0.1
    Fault Module Timestamp: 512269f5
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 002aa2a6
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 0a9e
    Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
    Additional Information 3: 0a9e
    Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

    Ive done some research and it is defiantly a hardware error but i couldn't get a definitive answer. Ive gone through my BIOS to check to see if anything looks abnormal but I couldn't find anything. Ive also tried to reinstall and overclock my cpu again but it still didn't help. Everything else on my computer runs fine. Is there something in my BIOS that I might have enabled that I shouldn't?? Can anyone please give me some help??

    Computer specs:
    CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9 ghz
    Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0
    Video Card: Sapphire HD 7950
    RAM: Team Dark 8gb DDR3 1600mhz

    Try clearing your CMOS (reset BIOS settings). It should fix your issue. Remember, if you have a RAID array, it'll be erased so back it up. Also, set your SATA controller back to AHCI if you have a SSD in your system.
  2. I tried clearing the CMOS, I even tried removing the battery on my motherboard for 10 minutes but it didn't do anything.
  3. sscot600 said:
    I tried clearing the CMOS, I even tried removing the battery on my motherboard for 10 minutes but it didn't do anything.

    If your RAM is still set to XMP that might be causing the issue, but I don't see why it would be like that because you reset CMOS.
    Can you give us the details of your overclock? What voltage/frequency was the CPU and RAM? Did you also overclock the GPU?

    Also, what model PSU are you using?

    Try plugging in the speaker included with your motherboard to the front panel connector labeled "SPEAKER" and listen for beep codes during POST. You can also try flashing your BIOS to the newest version and see if that helps.

    As an added note: I just noticed your mobo only supports PCIe 2.0, while your GPU is PCIe 3.0. The performance difference is very marginal, and I doubt it could cause incompatibility with certain games, but nevertheless it might, in which case you'd have to swap out your mobo for a new one (last case scenario).

    In a worst-case scenario, you may have damaged some portion of your hardware, be it RAM, CPU, or something else.

    Can you give us more detailed system specs?
  4. Im not positive what my voltage was set to on my overclock but I know I didn't exceed 1.4 volts. My clock speed was set to 4.2 ghz and my ram was overclocked to 1600 mhz (my ram is advertized to be set at 1600 but my bios shows it being 1333 mhz stock so ive had it overclocked since ive built my rig). I also may have messed with some other settings for my overclock but I can't remember which. Plus i don't have a lot of knowlage about overclocking so I might have done something wrong in the process. My GPU has been overclocked before with MSI Afterburner but I normaly overclock it just for Crysis 3, so no my GPU wasn't overclocked when i stopped working. My power supply is a corsair CX600 watt.
    My motherboard speaker is always plugged in and hasn't given me any odd beeps.
    Is there any tests that I can do to test if i have damaged my cpu or motherboard? I know there is memtest and I am going to run that tonight. Also, what is the XMP setting in the bios? I dont see it within my bios.
  5. sscot600 said:
    Im not positive what my voltage was set to on my overclock but I know I didn't exceed 1.4 volts. My clock speed was set to 4.2 ghz and my ram was overclocked to 1600 mhz (my ram is advertized to be set at 1600 but my bios shows it being 1333 mhz stock so ive had it overclocked since ive built my rig). I also may have messed with some other settings for my overclock but I can't remember which. Plus i don't have a lot of knowlage about overclocking so I might have done something wrong in the process. My GPU has been overclocked before with MSI Afterburner but I normaly overclock it just for Crysis 3, so no my GPU wasn't overclocked when i stopped working. My power supply is a corsair CX600 watt.
    My motherboard speaker is always plugged in and hasn't given me any odd beeps.
    Is there any tests that I can do to test if i have damaged my cpu or motherboard? I know there is memtest and I am going to run that tonight. Also, what is the XMP setting in the bios? I dont see it within my bios.

    Oops, totally forgot that AMD doesn't have XMP. Intel XMP (Xtreme Memory Profile) lets you OC your RAM as you OC your CPU, letting you reach higher frequencies. A damaged ram stick might be the problem, or maybe a bad DIMM slot. CPUs rarely fail, and when I say rarely, a rough guess is every 1 in 1,000,000 chips. You can test your mobo with several troubleshooting methods, but not directly (use one stick of RAM, etc.)
  6. I just ran a full memtest and it came up clean, no errors whatsoever. Plus I tried just using each individual ram stick and dimm slot but it didn't change anything. I even just tried clearing my CMOS one more time but it didn't help.
  7. Never mind I got it to work! Deleting the Ubisoft folder in my appdata folder fixed it. Thank you so much for all your help IwinFTW. You were a huge help.
  8. sscot600 said:
    Never mind I got it to work! Deleting the Ubisoft folder in my appdata folder fixed it. Thank you so much for all your help IwinFTW. You were a huge help.


    Oh! It was probably the Far Cry settings, then. Haha, I totally forgot to tell you to try and re-install the game (that would've fixed it). Anyway, glad I could (at least try) and help.
  9. I was having the same issue on both Windows 8.1 as well as Windows Server 2012 R2.

    ISSUE: UPlay and/or Far Cry cannot handle custom installation folders! Their software is poorly written and cannot handle installations outside their default paths (I had installed them to my D: data drive) even though the installation prompts you for a custom installation path (really Ubisoft programmers, you can't handle exceptions related to different file paths?)

    Fix:
    1. Uninstalling Far Cry 3, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and Uplay
    2. Reinstalling UPlay but following all default installation paths (i.e. c:\...)
    3. Reinstalling Far Cry 3 as well as Blood Dragon and also allowing them to be installed at their default C: locations

    Success!!
  10. user938134 said:
    I was having the same issue on both Windows 8.1 as well as Windows Server 2012 R2.

    ISSUE: UPlay and/or Far Cry cannot handle custom installation folders! Their software is poorly written and cannot handle installations outside their default paths (I had installed them to my D: data drive) even though the installation prompts you for a custom installation path (really Ubisoft programmers, you can't handle exceptions related to different file paths?)

    Fix:
    1. Uninstalling Far Cry 3, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and Uplay
    2. Reinstalling UPlay but following all default installation paths (i.e. c:\...)
    3. Reinstalling Far Cry 3 as well as Blood Dragon and also allowing them to be installed at their default C: locations

    Success!!


    How does this guy not have more up-votes?! user938134 - You have the only solution I found to my problem after searching online for an hour of people saying to try updated drivers, dll files, registry cleaning, re-installing, etc.

    This was for the Steam version. Steam is installed on the D drive and that's where FC3 was going. When we tried to launch FC3 it would just crash a second or two after opening the game window without displaying a thing. We took a backup of the game on the D drive, manually created a fake steam directory on the C drive "C:\Program files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\" and restore the backup to that folder. Fingers crossed we gave it a go again and the game booted fine.

    Somewhere a lazy developer hard coded in the default steam directory which a lazy QA resource failed to find. I am surprised no fix has been issued for this now older game.

    Anyway this solved the issue and saved our little LAN party.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Video Games Crash Error Message PC gaming