Solved

i5 3570K vs FX 8350 (in terms of future games)

Hi all,

I am currently looking into building a computer (first build ever). I mostly have the specs down to as follows:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.98 @ Outlet PC)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.75 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($105.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Raidmax ATX-298WU ATX Mid Tower Case ($23.25 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($12.49 @ Outlet PC)
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 700W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($149.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $880.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-26 20:16 EDT-0400)

But I am stuck about the processor. So far, I know (currently) the i5 I picked is better (by a margin) than the FX 8350, but I am worried about performance when it comes to future games. I have read/heard that since the PS4 and XBOX One both have octocore processors, PC games (which are ports of the console games) will be able to utilize octocore processors (like the FX 8350), suggesting that the FX 8350 will outperform the i5 3570k in the future.

So, first off, is it possible PC games in the future will use 8 cores? And if so, will that give the FX 8350 a significant lead in terms of performance? Also, should I consider Haswell? From what I read/heard, the performance increase is marginal and I would like to save some money if I can (but not I lose a significant amount of performance), and the whole "4 core vs 8 core for future games" argument can be applied to Haswell as well.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I've searched all across the internet for a satisfying answer and couldn't seem to find one, so I decided to post here. I'll greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer.
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 3570k 8350 terms future games
  1. 3570K for more reliable framerates and consistent performance.
    Although the 8350 is good for gaming to, just not as good in all case.

    For future games NO ONE KNOWS. My opinion, the 3570K will be better due to better single core performance which has always been the best for gaming.

    EDIT : PLEASE do not get that Thermaltake PSU, its junk!
  2. Best answer
    soutlet said:
    Hi all,

    I am currently looking into building a computer (first build ever). I mostly have the specs down to as follows:

    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($5.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.75 @ Newegg)
    Memory: PNY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($57.99 @ Best Buy)
    Storage: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($105.80 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Raidmax ATX-298WU ATX Mid Tower Case ($23.25 @ Newegg)
    Case Fan: Cooler Master Megaflow 110.0 CFM 200mm Fan ($12.49 @ Outlet PC)
    Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 700W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($149.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $880.18
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-26 20:16 EDT-0400)

    But I am stuck about the processor. So far, I know (currently) the i5 I picked is better (by a margin) than the FX 8350, but I am worried about performance when it comes to future games. I have read/heard that since the PS4 and XBOX One both have octocore processors, PC games (which are ports of the console games) will be able to utilize octocore processors (like the FX 8350), suggesting that the FX 8350 will outperform the i5 3570k in the future.

    So, first off, is it possible PC games in the future will use 8 cores? And if so, will that give the FX 8350 a significant lead in terms of performance? Also, should I consider Haswell? From what I read/heard, the performance increase is marginal and I would like to save some money if I can (but not I lose a significant amount of performance), and the whole "4 core vs 8 core for future games" argument can be applied to Haswell as well.

    Sorry for the long winded post, but I've searched all across the internet for a satisfying answer and couldn't seem to find one, so I decided to post here. I'll greatly appreciate any help you guys can offer.


    get GTX 760 .. if you cant pay , delay the SSD and get it later when you have another 100$

    dont loose a better gaming card for faster load time ...

    Edit : and choose Haswell i5 and Z87 motherboard ...
  3. The FX-8350 is better for future proof in my opinion since it has 8 cores and the upcoming games will start optimizing 8 cores in gaming .

    the i5-3570k has better performance per core and that why it is better for gaming for now , most games uses less than 4 cores in gaming ,

    but the FX-8350 is way better in performance using all cores , check this out :
    http://www.hizliresimyukle.com/images/2013/06/13/BHkUo.jpg

    you know why the FX-8350 is better than the i5-3570k in battlefield 3 ?! because battlefield 3 uses more than 4 cores , it can use all the FX-8350 cores so that you can get more frames per second using the FX-8350 in the games which uses more than 4 cores , most the upcoming games will start using more than 8 cores , in my opinion !! why the consoles such as PS4 has 8 cores processor in it ?? you can see that because the next gen games will use more than 4 cores .
  4. How about this?


    PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1l3gk
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1l3gk/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1l3gk/benchmarks/

    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.24 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Microcenter)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($166.10 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Acer G246HLAbd 60Hz 24.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
    Total: $849.25
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-26 20:48 EDT-0400)


    However, if u don't wanna overclock, i5-4670 is the best for u now in your budget.

    Besides, I get u a XFX 650W PSU which has better quality.

    A new CPU cooler should keep your CPU pretty cool now.


    Personally, HD 7870 is also good. If your budget allows, go for GTX 760, it may has better potential
  5. KareemGT said:
    The FX-8350 is better for future proof in my opinion since it has 8 cores and the upcoming games will start optimizing 8 cores in gaming .

    the i5-3570k has better performance per core and that why it is better for gaming for now , most games uses less than 4 cores in gaming ,

    but the FX-8350 is way better in performance using all cores , check this out :
    http://www.hizliresimyukle.com/images/2013/06/13/BHkUo.jpg

    you know why the FX-8350 is better than the i5-3570k in battlefield 3 ?! because battlefield 3 uses more than 4 cores , it can use all the FX-8350 cores so that you can get more frames per second using the FX-8350 in the games which uses more than 4 cores , most the upcoming games will start using more than 8 cores , in my opinion !! why the consoles such as PS4 has 8 cores processor in it ?? you can see that because the next gen games will use more than 4 cores .


    GTX660??? Capable of 69FPS on ULTRA in Battlefield 3???? Hahhahahahah you gotta be kidding me...

    Here is a GTX660 with a 3770K.


    And here is one with a REAL 6 + 6 threads core i7-3960X.


    Yeah those extra cores make such a big difference. Seriously, some people.

    EDIT : One more thing. Consoles are FUNDAMENTALY different from PC, stop spreading conjecture. :D
  6. Novuake said:
    KareemGT said:
    The FX-8350 is better for future proof in my opinion since it has 8 cores and the upcoming games will start optimizing 8 cores in gaming .

    the i5-3570k has better performance per core and that why it is better for gaming for now , most games uses less than 4 cores in gaming ,

    but the FX-8350 is way better in performance using all cores , check this out :
    http://www.hizliresimyukle.com/images/2013/06/13/BHkUo.jpg

    you know why the FX-8350 is better than the i5-3570k in battlefield 3 ?! because battlefield 3 uses more than 4 cores , it can use all the FX-8350 cores so that you can get more frames per second using the FX-8350 in the games which uses more than 4 cores , most the upcoming games will start using more than 8 cores , in my opinion !! why the consoles such as PS4 has 8 cores processor in it ?? you can see that because the next gen games will use more than 4 cores .


    GTX660??? Capable of 69FPS on ULTRA in Battlefield 3???? Hahhahahahah you gotta be kidding me...

    Here is a GTX660 with a 3770K.


    And here is one with a REAL 6 + 6 threads core i7-3960X.


    Yeah those extra cores make such a big difference. Seriously, some people.

    EDIT : One more thing. Consoles are FUNDAMENTALY different from PC, stop spreading conjecture. :D

    (graphs removed to save page space and people scrolling down.)

    Why does one graph state it has 16x AF, whereas the other does not?
  7. Novuake said:
    KareemGT said:
    The FX-8350 is better for future proof in my opinion since it has 8 cores and the upcoming games will start optimizing 8 cores in gaming .

    the i5-3570k has better performance per core and that why it is better for gaming for now , most games uses less than 4 cores in gaming ,

    but the FX-8350 is way better in performance using all cores , check this out :
    http://www.hizliresimyukle.com/images/2013/06/13/BHkUo.jpg

    you know why the FX-8350 is better than the i5-3570k in battlefield 3 ?! because battlefield 3 uses more than 4 cores , it can use all the FX-8350 cores so that you can get more frames per second using the FX-8350 in the games which uses more than 4 cores , most the upcoming games will start using more than 8 cores , in my opinion !! why the consoles such as PS4 has 8 cores processor in it ?? you can see that because the next gen games will use more than 4 cores .


    GTX660??? Capable of 69FPS on ULTRA in Battlefield 3???? Hahhahahahah you gotta be kidding me...

    Here is a GTX660 with a 3770K.


    And here is one with a REAL 6 + 6 threads core i7-3960X.


    Yeah those extra cores make such a big difference. Seriously, some people.

    EDIT : One more thing. Consoles are FUNDAMENTALY different from PC, stop spreading conjecture. :D


    "GTX660??? Capable of 69FPS on ULTRA in Battlefield 3???? Hahhahahahah you gotta be kidding me..."

    am getting more than 75 FPS using the FX-8350 and the HD 7870 which has pretty much similar performance as the GTX 660 ( i know that the HD 7870 is better than the GTX 660 but the GTX 660 is not that far away - about 5 ~ 10 FPS less than the HD 7870 )

    i think you are not gonna believe that am getting more than 75 FPS on Ultra setting @ battlefield 3 - 1920 x 1080 too .
  8. You are right there. Unless you overclocked that HD7870 to its limit, or its an XT/LE version.
    Point is, that link you posted is BS! I do not care about YOUR performance, I care about the BS you are talking about BF3 performing 30 percent better on a 8350 because of more cores.

    Like I said above, you got a 3960X running 2 FPS faster than a 3770K. So your point is absolute BULL.
  9. Novuake, I had a similar experience with a laptop I had. I had a quad core AMD Turion II processor, along with a Radeon HD 4650 in it, and could play starcraft 2 on High settings. (Which, that's not ultra or extreme, but still)
  10. squish8294 said:
    Novuake, I had a similar experience with a laptop I had. I had a quad core AMD Turion II processor, along with a Radeon HD 4650 in it, and could play starcraft 2 on High settings. (Which, that's not ultra or extreme, but still)


    Laptops are not 1080p in MOST cases so it isn't comparable.
  11. That HP laptop was actually. 1920 x 1080 was the highest it would go. 30 FPS on a 4650 at 1920 x 1080 on High SC2 settings LOL
  12. squish8294 said:
    That HP laptop was actually. 1920 x 1080 was the highest it would go. 30 FPS on a 4650 at 1920 x 1080 on High SC2 settings LOL


    Still do not see how its relevant to my point, but oK?
  13. That you can't always predict what performance will for sure be with a given combo of components. :) Ask for proof! :D (I'd gladly give proof, however, my HP laptop died as a result of playing starcraft 2, the GPU overheated and went out, and the whole thing no longer works)
  14. @novuake: why do you post gpu-bottlenecked benchmarks to compare CPU's??
  15. guggi4 said:
    @novuake: why do you post gpu-bottlenecked benchmarks to compare CPU's??


    I was proving his stupid post wrong. He was using a GTX660, so I just kept it consistent.
  16. Thanks for you input everyone.

    I think I'll stick with the i5. KareemGT gave me the idea to look up tests to see if multiple cores were used in games like BF3. This and this show BF3 really only uses up to 2 cores. I think I'll stick with the Ivy i5 rather than go Haswell to save a $100 because the performance difference doesn't seem to be much (and I won't be upgrading the processor anytime soon).

    Thanks to Maxime506 and Novuake for the suggestion to get a better PSU. I heard Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Thermaltake were good brands, but maybe I heard wrong. I'll go with XFX.

    I'll think about the GTX 760 as suggested by SNA3 and Maxime506; it's about $70 more than the GTX 660, which isn't terribly much, so I'll consider it.

    So overall:
    Stick with Ivy i5 3570k
    Get a XFX PSU
    Consider the GTX 760

    Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure I'll get the best bang for my buck.
  17. No problem, and XFX are among the best PSUs.
  18. just dont get a thermaltake psu like you mentioned, most of them are bullsh*t
  19. soutlet said:
    Thanks for you input everyone.

    I think I'll stick with the i5. KareemGT gave me the idea to look up tests to see if multiple cores were used in games like BF3. This and this show BF3 really only uses up to 2 cores. I think I'll stick with the Ivy i5 rather than go Haswell to save a $100 because the performance difference doesn't seem to be much (and I won't be upgrading the processor anytime soon).

    Thanks to Maxime506 and Novuake for the suggestion to get a better PSU. I heard Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Thermaltake were good brands, but maybe I heard wrong. I'll go with XFX.

    I'll think about the GTX 760 as suggested by SNA3 and Maxime506; it's about $70 more than the GTX 660, which isn't terribly much, so I'll consider it.

    So overall:
    Stick with Ivy i5 3570k
    Get a XFX PSU
    Consider the GTX 760

    Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure I'll get the best bang for my buck.


    If you're going to get a GTX 760/770/780 I'd recommend one of the MSI Twin Frozr series, as they have phenomenal cooling, I've seen it in action.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127748 760 Gaming Edition, 4GB VRAM has the highest possible overclock the factory could put on it, and is twin frozr. $310

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127747 770 Gaming Edition, 4GB VRAM, same as 760 in terms of overclock. $480

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127746 780 Gaming Edition, 3GB, and the highest amount of CUDA cores of the 3. $670
  20. Novuake said:
    KareemGT said:
    The FX-8350 is better for future proof in my opinion since it has 8 cores and the upcoming games will start optimizing 8 cores in gaming .

    the i5-3570k has better performance per core and that why it is better for gaming for now , most games uses less than 4 cores in gaming ,

    but the FX-8350 is way better in performance using all cores , check this out :
    http://www.hizliresimyukle.com/images/2013/06/13/BHkUo.jpg

    you know why the FX-8350 is better than the i5-3570k in battlefield 3 ?! because battlefield 3 uses more than 4 cores , it can use all the FX-8350 cores so that you can get more frames per second using the FX-8350 in the games which uses more than 4 cores , most the upcoming games will start using more than 8 cores , in my opinion !! why the consoles such as PS4 has 8 cores processor in it ?? you can see that because the next gen games will use more than 4 cores .


    GTX660??? Capable of 69FPS on ULTRA in Battlefield 3???? Hahhahahahah you gotta be kidding me...


    when i had a single gtx660 i was getting 60fps solid in bf3 multiplayer with ultra settings and 4xaa, on some random occasions dipping to 50fps for a second or two. i never tested without vsync off but im sure it would get over 60fps Benchmarks you will find are with older drivers and in single player mode, that may play a part in it. I do think, however, that a single gtx660 would be a bottleneck for either 3570k or 8350 and that little chart ( http://www.hizliresimyukle.com/images/2013/06/13/BHkUo.jpg ) shows something unexpected and looks very cherry picked.
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Battlefield-3-PC-221396/Specials/Battlefield-3-Multiplayer-Tipps-CPU-Benchmark-1039293/
    there is a couple benches on that german site and shows 64 multiplayer performance when not gpu bottlenecked. The 6300 is pretty close to the 8350, showing only slight increase from 6 - 8 cores.
  21. iam2thecrowe said:
    Novuake said:
    KareemGT said:
    The FX-8350 is better for future proof in my opinion since it has 8 cores and the upcoming games will start optimizing 8 cores in gaming .

    the i5-3570k has better performance per core and that why it is better for gaming for now , most games uses less than 4 cores in gaming ,

    but the FX-8350 is way better in performance using all cores , check this out :
    http://www.hizliresimyukle.com/images/2013/06/13/BHkUo.jpg

    you know why the FX-8350 is better than the i5-3570k in battlefield 3 ?! because battlefield 3 uses more than 4 cores , it can use all the FX-8350 cores so that you can get more frames per second using the FX-8350 in the games which uses more than 4 cores , most the upcoming games will start using more than 8 cores , in my opinion !! why the consoles such as PS4 has 8 cores processor in it ?? you can see that because the next gen games will use more than 4 cores .


    GTX660??? Capable of 69FPS on ULTRA in Battlefield 3???? Hahhahahahah you gotta be kidding me...


    you might not believe it, but when i had a single gtx660 i was getting 60fps solid in bf3 multiplayer with ultra settings and 4xaa, on some random occasions dipping to 50fps for a second or two. i never tested without vsync off but im sure it would get over 60fps. Benchmarks you will find are with older drivers and in single player mode, that may play a part in it.


    Whether that is the case or not, did you even LOOK at the link?
  22. Novuake said:
    iam2thecrowe said:
    Novuake said:
    KareemGT said:
    The FX-8350 is better for future proof in my opinion since it has 8 cores and the upcoming games will start optimizing 8 cores in gaming .

    the i5-3570k has better performance per core and that why it is better for gaming for now , most games uses less than 4 cores in gaming ,

    but the FX-8350 is way better in performance using all cores , check this out :
    http://www.hizliresimyukle.com/images/2013/06/13/BHkUo.jpg

    you know why the FX-8350 is better than the i5-3570k in battlefield 3 ?! because battlefield 3 uses more than 4 cores , it can use all the FX-8350 cores so that you can get more frames per second using the FX-8350 in the games which uses more than 4 cores , most the upcoming games will start using more than 8 cores , in my opinion !! why the consoles such as PS4 has 8 cores processor in it ?? you can see that because the next gen games will use more than 4 cores .


    GTX660??? Capable of 69FPS on ULTRA in Battlefield 3???? Hahhahahahah you gotta be kidding me...


    you might not believe it, but when i had a single gtx660 i was getting 60fps solid in bf3 multiplayer with ultra settings and 4xaa, on some random occasions dipping to 50fps for a second or two. i never tested without vsync off but im sure it would get over 60fps. Benchmarks you will find are with older drivers and in single player mode, that may play a part in it.


    Whether that is the case or not, did you even LOOK at the link?



    that one?^
    yes it seems completely ridiculous when so many other benches show otherwise.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Games CPUs Intel i5