Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I want to upgrade my desktop computer

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 26, 2013 6:23:26 PM

My computer is an HP Pavilion p6210y Desktop. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en... That link shows the exact computer specs that it has right now. I was wondering what needed to be upgraded on the computer in order to be able to install a mid to high end graphics card.
July 26, 2013 6:28:52 PM

Cpu, Motherboard, and RAM (ddr3) would need to be upgraded.

If you are sticking to a card that does not need any PCI-E plug-ins, you don't NEED to upgrade your PSU, however it is very much recommended to upgrade it because power supplies like those can literally explode.

After you upgrade those things, you can upgrade your video card.. However, if you are going that far into upgrading, what is another $50-$100 for a case, and $60 for a hard drive to just make a new computer? :p 
m
0
l
July 26, 2013 6:36:50 PM

I could be wrong, but if you just want to install a graphics card all you will need is an open PCI slot and an adequate power supply. Your power supply requirements will vary depending on the cards power requirements.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 26, 2013 6:51:28 PM

Kevinmachdata said:
I could be wrong, but if you just want to install a graphics card all you will need is an open PCI slot and an adequate power supply. Your power supply requirements will vary depending on the cards power requirements.


He said mid-high end card. (guessing he means 200-400)
Any card at that price range will bottleneck hard with his processor
m
0
l
July 26, 2013 6:56:32 PM

Caydn that's true :p  I don't necessarily need a crazy good graphics card, as I'm not really running anything that is that graphics demanding. Thanks for the input! :D  I had been looking at a few computers, just ones I could buy without building or anything and it costs around $620. Would it be any cheaper to just buy that computer as opposed to upgrading my computer enough to be able to have that graphics card installed?
m
0
l
July 26, 2013 6:58:15 PM

What do you need the graphics card for?
m
0
l
July 26, 2013 7:00:34 PM

I play games like League of Legends, World of Warcraft, but I would like to be able to run games like ARMA II and the DayZ mod.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 26, 2013 7:13:24 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($45.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $635.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-26 22:12 EDT-0400)


It is $635 and will be able to play even up to Crysis 3 on Ultra graphics
Share
July 26, 2013 7:21:13 PM

That looks great. I think I'll go with that. Thank you ! :D 
m
0
l
July 26, 2013 7:32:40 PM

Blenk11 said:
That looks great. I think I'll go with that. Thank you ! :D 


Of course! If you need help while actually building the PC, feel free to PM me on here and I can help you through it!
m
0
l
July 27, 2013 10:09:10 AM

caydn12 said:
Blenk11 said:
That looks great. I think I'll go with that. Thank you ! :D 


Of course! If you need help while actually building the PC, feel free to PM me on here and I can help you through it!


Alright thank you! That's the part I was a bit skeptical of. I have heard that it's not that difficult but still.
m
0
l
July 27, 2013 1:00:20 PM

Blenk11 said:
caydn12 said:
Blenk11 said:
That looks great. I think I'll go with that. Thank you ! :D 


Of course! If you need help while actually building the PC, feel free to PM me on here and I can help you through it!


Alright thank you! That's the part I was a bit skeptical of. I have heard that it's not that difficult but still.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8z-uumK_eU

That is a 2 hour video (yes its very long), but worth the watch. He goes over EVERYTHING you need to do to build a computer.
m
0
l
!