Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Should i buy a better cpu or a better gpu

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 28, 2013 2:08:25 AM

I have intel core i3 3220 (3.3ghz) and inno 3d gtx 650 1gb with 4GB+2GB of RAM, i ise this system for gaming and wanted an upgrade, the current psu is 450 watt and it definitely will be upfraded, so i wanted to ask the community for help if i should buy corei5 ( recommend me) or should i buy a graphics card? Thanks in advance, and i use this only for gaming, any help is appreciated

More about : buy cpu gpu

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2013 2:22:41 AM

i5 is the better choice, as the i3 is a 'entry' level chip for basic computing today. Gamers will utilize the 4 Cores of a i5 better then the 2 cores choking processing of a i3. A 650 is fine to get along with, but your should have at least 8GB of RAM or more for most Games.
Share
July 28, 2013 2:24:06 AM

I'd advise u to go for a GPU upgrade as ur CPU is quite powerful and then ur GPU will be the bottleneck
m
0
l
Related resources
July 28, 2013 2:30:43 AM

I would buy a i5 (make sure your socket supports it) and save up $250 and buy a 760 (worth the money)
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 2:37:24 AM

I also have to upgrade the psu, currently have 450 watt and yes@younes-ea my motherboard supports upto 3rd generation corei7
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 2:39:02 AM

Tom Tancredi said:
i5 is the better choice, as the i3 is a 'entry' level chip for basic computing today. Gamers will utilize the 4 Cores of a i5 better then the 2 cores choking processing of a i3. A 650 is fine to get along with, but your should have at least 8GB of RAM or more for most Games.


Well i can add RAM, which ram should i buy, as they are quite cheap in my country, and will the gtx 650 be able to play the current games on i5 at medium settings smoothly?
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 2:46:40 AM

farazboy1995 said:
I also have to upgrade the psu, currently have 450 watt and yes@younes-ea my motherboard supports upto 3rd generation corei7

I said that so that you won't buy a haswell cpu :p 
and does you motherboard supports ddr3? and how much MHz it supports
And the corsair cx600m is a good psu for the price or get a hx form corsair
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
July 28, 2013 2:47:18 AM

Actually on High most of the time, no Ultra, as i5s max out as compared to i7s. You need to get your Mobo manual and buy the appropriatre memory, timing, size, etc. the mobo can support. Personally I went 16GB and not looked back.
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 4:01:33 AM

younes-ea said:
farazboy1995 said:
I also have to upgrade the psu, currently have 450 watt and yes@younes-ea my motherboard supports upto 3rd generation corei7

I said that so that you won't buy a haswell cpu :p 
and does you motherboard supports ddr3? and how much MHz it supports
And the corsair cx600m is a good psu for the price or get a hx form corsair


What is a haswel cpu :S

And yes it does support ddr3 and how to determine how much Mhz it supports?
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 4:03:50 AM

Tom Tancredi said:
Actually on High most of the time, no Ultra, as i5s max out as compared to i7s. You need to get your Mobo manual and buy the appropriatre memory, timing, size, etc. the mobo can support. Personally I went 16GB and not looked back.


Thanks, i will buy an extra 4 or 8 GB RAM depeding on the price, but i have 6 gb and even when i play Bf3 not more than 3 gb is consumed, actually i jv never seen the system use more than 3 gb, so what will b the advantage if even the 6 gb is not totally used? and also intrested in i5 more than the graphics card, soo which i5 would u reccomed?
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 4:18:34 AM

farazboy1995 said:
younes-ea said:
farazboy1995 said:
I also have to upgrade the psu, currently have 450 watt and yes@younes-ea my motherboard supports upto 3rd generation corei7

I said that so that you won't buy a haswell cpu :p 
and does you motherboard supports ddr3? and how much MHz it supports
And the corsair cx600m is a good psu for the price or get a hx form corsair


What is a haswel cpu :S

And yes it does support ddr3 and how to determine how much Mhz it supports?

Haswell is the 4rd gen cpus of intel and does not work on your socket :( 
and check you motherboard guid for the mhz that is supported if 1600mhz is supported i'll go with the
G-SKILL sniper 8GB 1600MHz

m
0
l
July 28, 2013 4:42:35 AM

In my country 4th gen corei5 and 3rd gen core i5 are if almost the same price, and my motherboard supports 22nm processor and the haswell is also 22nm so that means it is compatible?
m
0
l
!