FX-8320 and CM Hype 212 evo Turbo in Prime95 temps

djinno

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
Hi I just bought fx8320 the other day. I wanted to overclock and check stability thru prime95. I OC'd to 4.5Ghz @ +0.075v. To my surprise the temps were climbing like crazy in just seconds up to 79c. I mean idle temps are fine 20c-ish even when doing my usual gaming at max 55c-65c.

my components:

CPU: AMD FX 8320
MoBo: Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3 rev.3
PSU: Antec 850w Continous Power Gold
RAM: GSkill 8Gb (2x4Gb) 1866mhz CL9 DDR3
GPU: 2x Sapphire 7950 flex (crossfired)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Turbo (push-pull with 2 CM SickleFlow fans)
case: CM HAF 912
*if you're asking about the fans I put in the case... 2x CM SickleFlow 120mm front intake; ThermalTake Turbo Fan 140mm side panel intake; CM sickleflow 120mm rear exhaust; CM Force 200mm top exhaust.

I already tried reseating the cooler, change positions (horizontal-vertical), changing TIMS and lowering the voiltage. Still getting the bad temps.

Got any inputs regarding this or any recommendations?

Solution
For an FX CPU that is too high. Uusally for full load 70 would be max. It is a good CPU cooler but if you want to overclock 4.5Ghz then a liquid cooler (like the h100) is better. Your idle temps seem to be great and your gaming temps are safe also but I would maybe set the CPU frequency to around 4.3Ghz as that temp at full load can definately shorten the CPU's life span. Intel CPU's differ as the TJ max is 105 but for FX the TJ max is 90.

How many cooling fans do you have?

Azrael47

Distinguished
For an FX CPU that is too high. Uusally for full load 70 would be max. It is a good CPU cooler but if you want to overclock 4.5Ghz then a liquid cooler (like the h100) is better. Your idle temps seem to be great and your gaming temps are safe also but I would maybe set the CPU frequency to around 4.3Ghz as that temp at full load can definately shorten the CPU's life span. Intel CPU's differ as the TJ max is 105 but for FX the TJ max is 90.

How many cooling fans do you have?

Solution

djinno

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I have 5 total. 2x CM SickleFlow 120mm front intake; ThermalTake Turbo Fan 140mm side panel intake; CM Sickleflow 120mm rear exhaust; CM Force 200mm top exhaust.

will getting a Noctua NH-D14 make a difference?

Azrael47

Distinguished
ok that fan setup is good, I assume you mean 120mm not 12mm ahaha and the Noctua is a very good CPU cooler which is as good as the h80 water cooler. I recommend getting that yes.

But I dont think you will see a major difference. Your temperatures are great the moment, how long did you run the Prime95 test.

djinno

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
like I said... seconds (around 20seconds) as soon as I saw the 70-ish numbers in HWmonitor I hit the stop workers. I'm kinda off with watercoolers since they have this pump failure chances.

on my setup is this normal to get that temp and likely the cooler is the weak link?
... or could it be the FX chip?

djinno

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
yeah just checked those all in good shape. I lowered the OC to 4.2Ghz @ stock volts and did a quickie prime95. I hit the 70c mark in about 10 minutes.

at this point I am trying to make sure that my chip is not faulty... so do you still think the cooler is culprit?

Azrael47

Distinguished
70 degrees is 20 degrees below the TJ max of that CPU, for a prime95 test your CPU is fine. Keep it at that frequency and you should have no CPU temperature problems in the future. Save up and invest in the Noctua or H100.