Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

help with Home network

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 28, 2013 9:38:55 AM

hello

I need to transfer some files from my laptop to my desktop, they are both connected to my router via Ethernet, When i try and access the other machine it asks for the username and password, I HAVE NO PASSWORDS ON EITHER OF MY COMPUTERS. i am pulling my hair out over this as i really need these files. both machines are windows 7, i also have tried setting up a home group but neither pc seems to be able to join it?

please can some one lend me a hand

Thank you

More about : home network

July 28, 2013 9:47:47 AM

When you try to connect to your computer, try putting administrator in the username box but leave the password blank.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 28, 2013 9:54:09 AM

Themkman said:
hello

I need to transfer some files from my laptop to my desktop, they are both connected to my router via Ethernet, When i try and access the other machine it asks for the username and password, I HAVE NO PASSWORDS ON EITHER OF MY COMPUTERS. i am pulling my hair out over this as i really need these files. both machines are windows 7, i also have tried setting up a home group but neither pc seems to be able to join it?

please can some one lend me a hand

Thank you


Goto User accounts and create a password for your login account on both machines is good advice first.. That should fix your password prompt problem by creating one to enter..
But for an open share.

Open Explorer (File manager) Right click the folder where you wanna copy to (set permissions) on.. Select "Share With".. "Specific People" and type in "everyone" (No quotes)

Checkmark the box full control..
Share
Related resources
July 28, 2013 10:00:50 AM

brianx555 said:
When you try to connect to your computer, try putting administrator in the username box but leave the password blank.


just tried that buddy and still no luck, im really lost as to why its so hard, home group always just says "homegroup has encountered an error" when ever i try and input my homegroup password, so i cant do it that way either.
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 3:24:34 PM

Themkman said:
brianx555 said:
When you try to connect to your computer, try putting administrator in the username box but leave the password blank.


just tried that buddy and still no luck, im really lost as to why its so hard, home group always just says "homegroup has encountered an error" when ever i try and input my homegroup password, so i cant do it that way either.
Did you specify the system name before the user name, e.g., system\user? It should work, particularly if your accounts have a password. PCs don't join a group; they either are in the same workgroup or not.

m
0
l
!