Fx 8350 Running Idle at 50c D;

plazmabolt105

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I have just built a gaming PC with a fx 8350 (stock cooler and core clock) hd 6870 (same) m5a97 r2.0 Motherboard And seasonic 620w PSU. After applying artic cooling mx-2 thermal paste to the cpu and booting up the system I realized that the processor was running idle at 50c! That scared me so i shut down and am now typing this from my laptop lol

Solution
I agree with Mauller07 personally the easiest and most effective method to apply thermal compound is by applying a small blob (rice or peas size) on he middle of the CPU. After that get your heatsink and slowly drop it down and put slight pressure, until you can screw it to the bracket. Make sure that it is aligned up and not crooked. MX-4 is good stuff and you could well possibly see a temperate drop. However adding more case fans and ensuring your ambient room temperature is cool is also advisable.

Good Luck!
try using the rice grain in the middle method rather than spreading the paste as you have a far lower tolerance for error as the paste will spread itself, just make sure to push down and twist side to side slightly a couple times and do not lift the heatsink off otherwise you will need to reapply the paste.

use isopropyl alcohol to clean the old paste off.

Those temps would scare the crap out of me too.

first of all, what are you using to monitor the cpu temp? if it is a program, be sure you aren't reading the socket temp (which is usually about 10 degrees higher than the cpu core temp)

second, what is the temp of the room it is in?

third, what do you have for case fans?

it could very well be that you read the cpu socket temp, or that your case doesn't have good air flow, or the ambient temperature is just too high (i doubt that one tho).

The stock cooler for the 8350 should perform better than that, although the temps would still be a bit high due to the stock cooler being barely adequate

plazmabolt105

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I was using core temp to monitor from windows, and I was using my motherboards UEFI bios tool to monitor temps also. They both seem to be about the same. The room is around 65-75 degrees F. I have 2 120mm case fans one front and one back. I just finished installing the psu yesterday and the cables are real messy. My case had a tray to route all of my cables through but I didnt know that until i finished the last zip tie XD.

plazmabolt105

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Oh shit, taking the heatsink off after applying paste ruins it O_O lol no wonder. Ive taken off that thing about ten times. Ill just have to wait until tuesday when my Mx-4 paste gets here. Do you think that paste will be good enough?

plazmabolt105

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Also should I "tint" the heatsink. I read about tinting which is when you spread thermal paste all over the heatsink then wipe it off with a coffee filter, just leaving the paste in the microscopic holes in the heatsink. is this a good idea or should I avoid it. Thanks for all the help guys!

Just apply a rice grain glob of thermalpaste to the center of the CPU only once everything is cleaned and just place the heatsink squarely down on top and let the pressure of the heatsink and a twist or two spread the paste, yoylu get the same results and far less error than spreading the paste yourself.

Just remember once the heatsink is down, do not lift it off or you have to clean it all and start over.

Azrael47

Distinguished
I agree with Mauller07 personally the easiest and most effective method to apply thermal compound is by applying a small blob (rice or peas size) on he middle of the CPU. After that get your heatsink and slowly drop it down and put slight pressure, until you can screw it to the bracket. Make sure that it is aligned up and not crooked. MX-4 is good stuff and you could well possibly see a temperate drop. However adding more case fans and ensuring your ambient room temperature is cool is also advisable.

Good Luck!

Solution

plazmabolt105

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Ok thank you guys so much! My idle temp is now fucking 20-30c and load never goes above 52c. But one thing is my first core keeps fluctuating between 1404mhz and 4017mhz. All the other cores stay at solid 4017 but first core fluctuates. Any suggestions?