Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Will a Corsair CX430M psu support an MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 28, 2013 5:20:16 PM

So ive finally decided to get a gpu because i realized that the AMD A10 6800k isnt very good for gaming alone :/  I think ill be getting the MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB, but i need to know first if my current 430W Corsair CX430M psu will support that gpu. Any help is very greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: forgot to add my specs:pt1cable: 
SPECS
---------
NZXT Source 210 case
AMD A10 6800k apu
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard
8gb G. Skills Ripjaws X 1866mhz RAM
1TB 7200rpm HDD
LG 24x optical drive
Corsair CX430M psu
Windows 8 64-bit OS

Best solution

July 28, 2013 5:25:39 PM

Yep! I'm currently running the Sapphire version of the HD7870 Ghz 2gb on my CX430! You're all set to go!
Share
July 28, 2013 5:25:47 PM

A 430 is risky but it may suffice. I would invest in maybe a 500w minimum, to be futureproof if you ever want to overclock or add another GPU.

Have a look for PSU's in the 500-600w range.

If you do decide you want to get a different PSU then get one from either four of these manufactures for a quality assured component.

Corsair
Antec
Seasonic
XFX

according to this (http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-...) the Radeon HD 7870 - 23A and a 500W psu minimum
m
0
l
Related resources
July 28, 2013 5:30:56 PM

Azrael47 said:
A 430 is risky but it may suffice. I would invest in maybe a 500w minimum, to be futureproof if you ever want to overclock or add another GPU.

Have a look for PSU's in the 500-600w range.

If you do decide you want to get a different PSU then get one from either four of these manufactures for a quality assured component.

Corsair
Antec
Seasonic
XFX

according to this (http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/power-requirements-...) the Radeon HD 7870 - 23A and a 500W psu minimum


Thanks. For now ill have to stick with my current 430W psu because i only have enough money for a gpu. Later in the near future hopefully i can get myself like a 600W psu. BUT, i did buy my psu at Microcenter so i might be able to return it.
Wait, no i dont think i can, either the return policy is expired or i wont be able to because i cut off the bar code and sent it in to get my rebate :/ 
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 5:33:42 PM

Ok, remember to select a best solution and close the thread!
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 5:33:48 PM

Eyedeology said:
Yep! I'm currently running the Sapphire version of the HD7870 Ghz 2gb on my CX430! You're all set to go!


Thanks! that really reassures me, but then again, we have different parts most likely and that means we would probably have different wattage use depending on what parts we have.

SPECS
---------
NZXT Source 210 case
AMD A10 6800k apu
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard
8gb G. Skills Ripjaws X 1866mhz RAM
1TB 7200rpm HDD
LG 24x optical drive
Corsair CX430M psu
Windows 8 64-bit OS
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 5:36:42 PM

DarkDubzs said:
Eyedeology said:
Yep! I'm currently running the Sapphire version of the HD7870 Ghz 2gb on my CX430! You're all set to go!


Thanks! that really reassures me, but then again, we have different parts most likely and that means we would probably have different wattage use depending on what parts we have.

SPECS
---------
NZXT Source 210 case
AMD A10 6800k apu
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard
8gb G. Skills Ripjaws X 1866mhz RAM
1TB 7200rpm HDD
LG 24x optical drive
Corsair CX430M psu
Windows 8 64-bit OS


I am using a heavily overclocked 965 BE which uses a pretty hefty amount of wattage compared to the A10-6800k. You should be fine as your system will draw less wattage then mine!
m
0
l
July 28, 2013 5:41:49 PM

Eyedeology said:
DarkDubzs said:
Eyedeology said:
Yep! I'm currently running the Sapphire version of the HD7870 Ghz 2gb on my CX430! You're all set to go!


Thanks! that really reassures me, but then again, we have different parts most likely and that means we would probably have different wattage use depending on what parts we have.

SPECS
---------
NZXT Source 210 case
AMD A10 6800k apu
MSI FM2-A75MA-E35 motherboard
8gb G. Skills Ripjaws X 1866mhz RAM
1TB 7200rpm HDD
LG 24x optical drive
Corsair CX430M psu
Windows 8 64-bit OS


I am using a heavily overclocked 965 BE which uses a pretty hefty amount of wattage compared to the A10-6800k. You should be fine as your system will draw less wattage then mine!


Ahh, i see, so hopefully i should be golden with my CX430M psu and this 7870. Thanks alot!
UPDATE: i actually forgot to ask if you had to buy any adapters for the card and psu? Because i think the card needs two PCI-E connectors for power or something and the CX430M psu only has one i believe
m
0
l
!