Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

New Workstation/Entry level Gaming build.

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 28, 2013 7:25:25 PM

I need a build that will be a entry level Workstation, and a Decent gamer. (I am switching over from Consoles)

I have a budget of 1700 USD.

I also want it to be mATX, but I will go ATX if there's a good reason.

Here's what I have:

Case: Corsair 350d mATX
CPU: intel i7-3930k Sandy bridge E
Motherboard:Asus Rampage IV Gene lga 2011
Ram:16GB Patriot Viper 3 Quad channel Memory 1600
CPU coole:rCorsair h60 (i just want to overclock to 4.0)
SSD:Plextor m5 128GB Boot Drive
HDD:WD blue 1 TB 7200 RPM
PSU:Corsair TX 750M
OS:Windows 7 HP
GPU:EVGA GTX 760 SC ACX

I know that the Graphics card i very poor considering the CPU And whatnot but i don't want to spend more then that because i will be looking into something more in the near future.

With a possible GPU upgrade to a SLI 780 or a newer GPU such as a Radeon 89xx or the new 20nm GPU later this fall i don't want to do more than the 760.

With that said, would this build be good for a personal Workstation, and a enthusiast gaming rig?

All suggestions are much apriceated.
July 28, 2013 7:36:21 PM

You're getting LGA 2011 for an entry level workstation? LGA 2011 is meant for extreme workstation people who just work all day.
You'll be fine with socket LGA 1150. Grab the i7-4770k with the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H.

Since you're grabbing LGA 1150, which doesn't support quad channel, grab 2x8gb ram for dual channel.

If you only plan to overclock to 4.0ghz, you can make do with the $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO instead of the Corsair H60. Single-radiator closed loop coolers are horrible, as heatsinks can easily out-perform them.

What's your monitor resolution? If it's only a single 1080p monitor, you can use the saved money from the cpu/cpu cooler/motherboard and upgrade your gpu to a GTX 770 which will max out any game on 1080p.

Also, I doubt they still sell the V1 version, but make sure the psu is the TX 750M V2.
July 29, 2013 3:36:59 AM

realchaos said:
You're getting LGA 2011 for an entry level workstation? LGA 2011 is meant for extreme workstation people who just work all day.
You'll be fine with socket LGA 1150. Grab the i7-4770k with the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H.

Since you're grabbing LGA 1150, which doesn't support quad channel, grab 2x8gb ram for dual channel.

If you only plan to overclock to 4.0ghz, you can make do with the $30 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO instead of the Corsair H60. Single-radiator closed loop coolers are horrible, as heatsinks can easily out-perform them.

What's your monitor resolution? If it's only a single 1080p monitor, you can use the saved money from the cpu/cpu cooler/motherboard and upgrade your gpu to a GTX 770 which will max out any game on 1080p.

Also, I doubt they still sell the V1 version, but make sure the psu is the TX 750M V2.


Yes I will be working 6-8 hours everyday so i think the 2011 is fine.
My monitor res is 1920x1080 and im not looking to max every game.
Related resources
July 29, 2013 6:22:26 AM

id suggest waiting. sandy bridge e is only around 3-5 faster than a haswell chip for a ton more cost. id either wait for ivy bridge e in september or get a haswell based system

id get something like this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lo3s

your build in no way is a entry level workstation or a gaming rig
July 29, 2013 7:12:03 AM

I agree that your idea of what an "entry-level" means is different to what we think, but that doesn't make your choices any worse. For what your after, I reckon that rig will be more than satisfactory.

But like any first design, it can be refined to better suit your purposes. What applications are you going to be using? Just that if its 3D Modelling then you wouldnt require the storage setup a video editing rig would. If your using the Adobe Suite, an Nvidia card with CUDA support is a good option, while if your doing something that can leverage OpenCL then you will be best off with a Radeon card.
July 29, 2013 11:08:35 AM

manofchalk said:
I agree that your idea of what an "entry-level" means is different to what we think, but that doesn't make your choices any worse. For what your after, I reckon that rig will be more than satisfactory.

But like any first design, it can be refined to better suit your purposes. What applications are you going to be using? Just that if its 3D Modelling then you wouldnt require the storage setup a video editing rig would. If your using the Adobe Suite, an Nvidia card with CUDA support is a good option, while if your doing something that can leverage OpenCL then you will be best off with a Radeon card.


Just 3D editing and some Video Production
July 29, 2013 11:26:49 AM

Here. An Entry Level WS.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($14.94 @ Newegg)
Total: $1640.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-29 14:26 EDT-0400)
July 29, 2013 11:47:32 AM

Genzo's build is what I'd suggest for you, with a few small changes.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (since you only want to OC to 4.0 GHz)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (since you're working, and the Pro has much higher read/write speeds)
Video Card: ASUS GeForce GTX 780 DirectCU II 3GB (arguably the best cooler design available right now)
July 29, 2013 11:52:02 AM

the problems i have with genzo's build is that

-the ram sticks might be from different revisions. if they are different, there is a high probability that it wont work
-the hero board is terrible for what it offers for the price point
-MLC drives of higher capacity are avaliable for not much more and they have a higher number of write cycles that are needed for workstation applications

the ACX is a better cooling solution than the DCUII. it just looks nicer
July 29, 2013 12:19:14 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the problems i have with genzo's build is that

-the ram sticks might be from different revisions. if they are different, there is a high probability that it wont work
-the hero board is terrible for what it offers for the price point
-MLC drives of higher capacity are avaliable for not much more and they have a higher number of write cycles that are needed for workstation applications

I think the hero TOO! a Degrade version of extreme. I think Gigabyte UD5H is better? or Asus PRO? or MSI MPower Board.

Too many boards. but they still give the same thing but with alot of extra features.

And I really hate the Gold-Color Scheme. It would be better in BLUE.
the ACX is a better cooling solution than the DCUII. it just looks nicer


The ram is identical. He can save a few bucks because in Pcpartpicker. The 16GB Corsair Vengeance is around 120$.

And Watercooling is best for a workstation. IMHO

AND EVGA's reliability, cooling and support is better than Asus.
Alot of people complains that asus has 45/65 Support.
July 29, 2013 12:43:03 PM

Genzo said:
TheBigTroll said:
the problems i have with genzo's build is that

-the ram sticks might be from different revisions. if they are different, there is a high probability that it wont work
-the hero board is terrible for what it offers for the price point
-MLC drives of higher capacity are avaliable for not much more and they have a higher number of write cycles that are needed for workstation applications

I think the hero TOO! a Degrade version of extreme. I think Gigabyte UD5H is better? or Asus PRO? or MSI MPower Board.

Too many boards. but they still give the same thing but with alot of extra features.

And I really hate the Gold-Color Scheme. It would be better in BLUE.
the ACX is a better cooling solution than the DCUII. it just looks nicer


The ram is identical. He can save a few bucks because in Pcpartpicker. The 16GB Corsair Vengeance is around 120$.

And Watercooling is best for a workstation. IMHO

AND EVGA's reliability, cooling and support is better than Asus.
Alot of people complains that asus has 45/65 Support.


What if I was trying to make Genzo's build but in a mATX way? Or mabye the gigabyte ud4h?
July 29, 2013 1:02:25 PM

The 770 will perform better than a 680 while being cheaper. It uses slightly more power, but really that's not a big issue. The 680 might as well lay down and die now that the 770 is out at its current pricing :p 
July 29, 2013 1:59:05 PM

LeMonarque said:
The 770 will perform better than a 680 while being cheaper. It uses slightly more power, but really that's not a big issue. The 680 might as well lay down and die now that the 770 is out at its current pricing :p 


What's the difference between gigabyte g1 sniper m5 and the "Bigfoot LAN" edition?
July 29, 2013 3:29:22 PM

what? the z87mx-d3h uses the intel NIC for networking while the g1 sniper m5 uses the bigfoot killer NIC. the main difference is that the bigfoot killer nic has more gaming prioritizations than the intel

there is no such thing as the big foot edition
July 29, 2013 4:12:32 PM

TheBigTroll said:
what? the z87mx-d3h uses the intel NIC for networking while the g1 sniper m5 uses the bigfoot killer NIC. the main difference is that the bigfoot killer nic has more gaming prioritizations than the intel

there is no such thing as the big foot edition


Am I good to go on this?

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-BigFoot-Motherboard-GA-G...

Would u recomend a better mATX board? Asus Maximus vi gene or other such
July 29, 2013 4:19:21 PM

no. get the z87mx-d3h. its the same board, just without the advanced onboard sound that you wont use unless you have high end headphones
July 29, 2013 4:21:58 PM

TheBigTroll said:
no. get the z87mx-d3h. its the same board, just without the advanced onboard sound that you wont use unless you have high end headphones


I have astro a40's i think those r pretty high end but ill look into that. Im finials zing my build now so ill reply my final build.

Edit: the z87mx-d3h has some bad reviews of buggy bios ssd not reading and etc. is an asus board priced around the same price alright? Asus z87m-plus to be exact
July 29, 2013 4:44:22 PM

the asus board hardware wise is a inferior board. if you are worried, just get the sniper m5. still a superior board to whatever asus has to offer
July 29, 2013 4:56:17 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the asus board hardware wise is a inferior board. if you are worried, just get the sniper m5. still a superior board to whatever asus has to offer


Alright im kind if worried im gonna buy the wrong parts so :/ 
July 29, 2013 5:03:49 PM

TheBigTroll said:
the asus board hardware wise is a inferior board. if you are worried, just get the sniper m5. still a superior board to whatever asus has to offer


Which would be better? Asus gene vi or g1 sniper m5 ? It's a 10$ difference
July 29, 2013 5:07:12 PM

i just said that the asus board was inferior. this applies to both the mainstream and the ROG.
July 29, 2013 6:44:00 PM

TheBigTroll said:
i just said that the asus board was inferior. this applies to both the mainstream and the ROG.


Here's what I have for my final build:
CPU: i7 4770k
MOBO: ASUS VI GENE
RAM: 16GB CORSAIR vengeance 1600
COOLER: h100i
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 PRO 128GB
HDD: WD BLUE 1TB
PSU: NZXT HALE82 750W Modular
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 FTW 4GB
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
CASE: Corsair 350D
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX RED, Any suggestions?
Fans: SP120 x4
July 29, 2013 6:50:59 PM

Personally, reds make my hands hurt when doing a lot of typing/shortcut key pressing. I just tend to bottom them out too hard since there's no feedback, so a few weeks ago I bought a Logitech G710. Tactile, but quiet(er) because of its cherry mx brown switches and hard rubber o-ring dampeners. Easy on the hands for extended sessions of use. But that's only my personal experience with my own keyboard habits.

Solid build all around. Love the 350D
July 29, 2013 7:02:11 PM

LeMonarque said:
Personally, reds make my hands hurt when doing a lot of typing/shortcut key pressing. I just tend to bottom them out too hard since there's no feedback, so a few weeks ago I bought a Logitech G710. Tactile, but quiet(er) because of its cherry mx brown switches and hard rubber o-ring dampeners. Easy on the hands for extended sessions of use. But that's only my personal experience with my own keyboard habits.

Solid build all around. Love the 350D


Thanks man, I might take the i7 and put a i5 and call proudly call it my gaming rig instead of my workstation and sort of my gaming rig :)  thanks for the help all!
July 30, 2013 4:16:34 AM

Pixim said:
TheBigTroll said:
i just said that the asus board was inferior. this applies to both the mainstream and the ROG.


Here's what I have for my final build:
CPU: i7 4770k
MOBO: ASUS VI GENE
RAM: 16GB CORSAIR vengeance 1600
COOLER: h100i
SSD: SAMSUNG 840 PRO 128GB
HDD: WD BLUE 1TB
PSU: NZXT HALE82 750W Modular
GPU: EVGA GTX 770 FTW 4GB
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium
CASE: Corsair 350D
Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX RED, Any suggestions?
Fans: SP120 x4


Keyboard is GOOD enough. That PSU. Its better to get a XFX, Seasonic or Corsair. They are like on sale right now. T

And the extra fans. The SP version is good for COOLING THE RADS. While AF is GOOD FOR AIRFLOW. If you want the corsair h100i in push pull. Better to get sp fans. For extra fans on the case, af versions are the best for it

Best solution

July 30, 2013 4:49:17 AM
Share

-the gene board is every way inferior to the sniper m5 other than the chokes which are a tiny bit better
-there are cheaper 16gb kits out there. corsair doesnt mean its better
-get a h220 or be gone with liquid cooling. the other units are a joke
-there is no reason to get a 840 pro when larger solutions are much cheaper for the buck. the speed increase is non existent in real life
-the evga 750w psu is pretty cheap at around 89.99 after a MIR at newegg. pick that up instead. the hale82 is a average unit made by superflower from what i know
-the ftw edition is a scam in that it doesnt perform better than the regular cards and that 4gb of vram is a total waste of time. the 770 is simply not powerful enough to use 4gb of vram. get yourself something like a regular 2gb acx edition and it would be more than satisfactory
-this keyboard is better built for cheaper
http://www.microcenter.com/product/391002/QuickFire_Pro...
July 30, 2013 2:02:44 PM

TheBigTroll said:
-the gene board is every way inferior to the sniper m5 other than the chokes which are a tiny bit better
-there are cheaper 16gb kits out there. corsair doesnt mean its better
-get a h220 or be gone with liquid cooling. the other units are a joke
-there is no reason to get a 840 pro when larger solutions are much cheaper for the buck. the speed increase is non existent in real life
-the evga 750w psu is pretty cheap at around 89.99 after a MIR at newegg. pick that up instead. the hale82 is a average unit made by superflower from what i know
-the ftw edition is a scam in that it doesnt perform better than the regular cards and that 4gb of vram is a total waste of time. the 770 is simply not powerful enough to use 4gb of vram. get yourself something like a regular 2gb acx edition and it would be more than satisfactory
-this keyboard is better built for cheaper
http://www.microcenter.com/product/391002/QuickFire_Pro...


Good atx boards?
July 30, 2013 2:33:51 PM

so why are you asking about atx boards when i provided you one in the beginning, and then you decide to change it to a matx board and back again?

just look at my original recommendation
July 30, 2013 3:02:01 PM

TheBigTroll said:
so why are you asking about atx boards when i provided you one in the beginning, and then you decide to change it to a matx board and back again?

just look at my original recommendation


Sorry for being an ass :/ 

I decided that this will be my gaming build and ill work on that dedicated Workstation later..

Here's my final build.

CPU: i5-4670k
MOBO: Gigabyte g1 sniper m5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB
CPU cooler: Hyper Evo 212
Ssd: Plextor m5Pro
HDD: WD BLue 1 tb
GPU: Gtx 780
PSU: Rosewill Hive 650W
Keyboard: Cm storm QuickFire tk
Os: Wndows 7 HP
Case: corsair 350d
July 30, 2013 3:12:53 PM

id upgrade the cooler to a noctua d14. its rather cheap

there are cheaper 16gb kits out there. corsair is among the more expensive

get the sandisk ultra plus 128 or 256gb SSD instead. better values

get the xfx 550w psu instead. no need for the extra wattage

July 30, 2013 3:14:43 PM

TheBigTroll said:
id upgrade the cooler to a noctua d14. its rather cheap

there are cheaper 16gb kits out there. corsair is among the more expensive

get the sandisk ultra plus 128 or 256gb SSD instead. better values

get the xfx 550w psu instead. no need for the extra wattage



Evga say it needs (780) at least 600w?
July 30, 2013 3:19:00 PM

it doesnt. they put that number out so that it is a rough guideline. a quality 550w unit is more than enough
July 30, 2013 3:25:22 PM

TheBigTroll said:
it doesnt. they put that number out so that it is a rough guideline. a quality 550w unit is more than enough


Alright, so that's my final build... Ill go check out soon but the 780 is enough to max all games 1080p on a dual monitor display? And which model is right im looking at evga's superclocked one at 659$
July 30, 2013 3:31:40 PM

you dont game on 2 monitors. if you are talking about one for work and one for games, its more than fine

get the acx version, not the reference
July 30, 2013 6:11:23 PM

TheBigTroll said:
you dont game on 2 monitors. if you are talking about one for work and one for games, its more than fine

get the acx version, not the reference


Nvidia surround?
July 31, 2013 1:16:25 AM

Pixim said:
TheBigTroll said:
id upgrade the cooler to a noctua d14. its rather cheap

there are cheaper 16gb kits out there. corsair is among the more expensive

get the sandisk ultra plus 128 or 256gb SSD instead. better values

get the xfx 550w psu instead. no need for the extra wattage



Evga say it needs (780) at least 600w?


Pixim said:
TheBigTroll said:
you dont game on 2 monitors. if you are talking about one for work and one for games, its more than fine

get the acx version, not the reference


Nvidia surround?


I dont usually see people G with Dual Monitors.

If you want a N-Surround. Better get 3 Monitors. as BigTroll said you cant game 2 monitors.
July 31, 2013 4:29:30 AM

it looks ridiculous when you game with 2 monitors. lets say you are playing a fps game and your cursor is split between the bezels of your panels
July 31, 2013 4:36:25 AM

TheBigTroll said:
it looks ridiculous when you game with 2 monitors. lets say you are playing a fps game and your cursor is split between the bezels of your panels


HAHA. Triple is Acceptable but Dual. NO! :lol: 
!