Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

need advice on a new purchase of graphic card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2013 12:15:38 AM

Hello people i need help on this video card I've had my eye on it is a:

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 7870 PCI-E GHz EDITION, GDDR5 2GB

Is this a good video card or what? im kind of a noob to this kind of stuff
currently i have a :

ATI Radeon 5770 1gb GDDR5

How much of a difference between the two? how much of a difference will i notice of i change cards? because i dont want to buy a card that only increses my fps by a lousy 1 or 2 fps


8gb ram
amd phenom x4 BE overcloked to 4.0ghz
Thank you very much!!!!
July 29, 2013 12:21:01 AM

That graphics card is a very good improvement from the one you have now. You should see a big jump in fps.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2013 12:29:08 AM

What is you resolution and fps and what games you play?

Generally speaking, the 7870 should at the very least double your the 5770's fps as long as the game is not limited by your CPU
m
0
l
Related resources
July 29, 2013 12:30:44 AM

soggynuggetz said:
That graphics card is a very good improvement from the one you have now. You should see a big jump in fps.


thank you!

m
0
l
July 29, 2013 12:33:11 AM

stickmansam said:
What is you resolution and fps and what games you play?

Generally speaking, the 7870 should at the very least double your the 5770's fps as long as the game is not limited by your CPU


1280x1024 is the higheswt it goes, and combat arms wich requires not that much for the game but i tend to drop alot of fps after 1 hour of gameplay then i have to re logg back in

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2013 12:45:49 AM

Hmm the drop in fps maybe due to some sort of thermal throttling. Have a program like coretemp and gpuz run in the background while you game next time and check the cpu and cpu temps.

At 1024, the 5770 and the phenom should complement each other quite well. I would actually save up for a new rig rather than getting the 7870
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 12:55:26 AM

stickmansam said:
Hmm the drop in fps maybe due to some sort of thermal throttling. Have a program like coretemp and gpuz run in the background while you game next time and check the cpu and cpu temps.

At 1024, the 5770 and the phenom should complement each other quite well. I would actually save up for a new rig rather than getting the 7870


what do you mean by new rig? haha sorry im a noob like i said lolol

m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2013 1:00:28 AM

nzl123 said:
stickmansam said:
Hmm the drop in fps maybe due to some sort of thermal throttling. Have a program like coretemp and gpuz run in the background while you game next time and check the cpu and cpu temps.

At 1024, the 5770 and the phenom should complement each other quite well. I would actually save up for a new rig rather than getting the 7870


what do you mean by new rig? haha sorry im a noob like i said lolol



I mean that your fps issue seems more related to a thermal throttling where parts get too hot after high usage and slow themselves down in order to cool. So fixing that may solve your fps issues.

Also given your current resolution and game, you should be fine with your computer and better off saving the $200 for the 7870 to put towards something else.

Share
July 29, 2013 1:01:20 AM

mhtsgr9 said:
this GPU is indeed a Good upgrade...
make sure u hav a GOOD recommeded PSU..

AND "RIG" is System ..
i mean ur PC itself...

ohhhh duuuh i see haha ty!!, and its a 750 watt gaming psu idno wich brand but it looks flash lol, and what do i need to upgrade my new rig?

m
0
l
July 29, 2013 1:03:17 AM

stickmansam said:
nzl123 said:
stickmansam said:
Hmm the drop in fps maybe due to some sort of thermal throttling. Have a program like coretemp and gpuz run in the background while you game next time and check the cpu and cpu temps.

At 1024, the 5770 and the phenom should complement each other quite well. I would actually save up for a new rig rather than getting the 7870


it's probably my video card cause my cpu fan isnt a stock cooler it is a cool master x6 honeycomb cpu cooler fan wich makes my cpu very very cool under 35c the least on gameplay!

what do you mean by new rig? haha sorry im a noob like i said lolol



I mean that your fps issue seems more related to a thermal throttling where parts get too hot after high usage and slow themselves down in order to cool. So fixing that may solve your fps issues.

Also given your current resolution and game, you should be fine with your computer and better off saving the $200 for the 7870 to put towards something else.



m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 29, 2013 1:08:26 AM

nzl123 said:
mhtsgr9 said:
this GPU is indeed a Good upgrade...
make sure u hav a GOOD recommeded PSU..

AND "RIG" is System ..
i mean ur PC itself...

ohhhh duuuh i see haha ty!!, and its a 750 watt gaming psu idno wich brand but it looks flash lol, and what do i need to upgrade my new rig?



A full system upgrade will cost quite a bit actually.

$200 7870 (there are also a bunch of slightly cheaper and slightly more expensive options
$190 i5 (anything below an i5 won't be much of an upgrade over a Phenom @ 4ghz)
$60-80 Motherboard
$120 screen (otherwise the GPu dosen't need upgrading as the 5770 should ace most games at 1280x1024

You can probably reuse your case and ram and keybaord and mouse and speakers and hard drive

m
0
l
July 29, 2013 1:13:29 AM

stickmansam said:
nzl123 said:
mhtsgr9 said:
this GPU is indeed a Good upgrade...
make sure u hav a GOOD recommeded PSU..

AND "RIG" is System ..
i mean ur PC itself...

ohhhh duuuh i see haha ty!!, and its a 750 watt gaming psu idno wich brand but it looks flash lol, and what do i need to upgrade my new rig?



A full system upgrade will cost quite a bit actually.

$200 7870 (there are also a bunch of slightly cheaper and slightly more expensive options
$190 i5 (anything below an i5 won't be much of an upgrade over a Phenom @ 4ghz)
$60-80 Motherboard
$120 screen (otherwise the GPu dosen't need upgrading as the 5770 should ace most games at 1280x1024

You can probably reuse your case and ram and keybaord and mouse and speakers and hard drive



thank you very much man great advice!!!
m
0
l
!