Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question
Solved

i7 920 vs i5 2300

Tags:
  • Intel i7
  • Intel i5
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
July 29, 2013 6:31:31 AM

Hello.
I'm planning to get a cpu&mobo, second hand ones. Which one of these two worth purchasing. I can get both kits for the same price:
i7 920 2.8 ghz+ ASUS P6T skt1366 or
i5 2300 2.80GHz + Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (New CPU, unboxed)

Thank you

More about : 920 2300

a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2013 6:39:26 AM

mirceaizvoran said:
Hello.
I'm planning to get a cpu&mobo, second hand ones. Which one of these two worth purchasing. I can get both kits for the same price:
i7 920 2.8 ghz+ ASUS P6T skt1366 or
i5 2300 2.80GHz + Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 (New CPU, unboxed)

Thank you


The i5 2300 is much better than the i7 920 unless you work with heavily threaded softwares...
m
0
l
a c 287 V Motherboard
July 29, 2013 6:44:58 AM

Debatable, if you run both at stock speed the i5-2300 is probably faster core for core. But many people overclock i7-920 to about 4Ghz. I ran my i7-950 @ 3.85Ghz 24/7 undervolted.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 29, 2013 7:05:17 AM

Eximo said:
Debatable, if you run both at stock speed the i5-2300 is probably faster core for core. But many people overclock i7-920 to about 4Ghz. I ran my i7-950 @ 3.85Ghz 24/7 undervolted.

I would use the PC for gaming, so I will overclock
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2013 7:14:52 AM

mirceaizvoran said:
Eximo said:
Debatable, if you run both at stock speed the i5-2300 is probably faster core for core. But many people overclock i7-920 to about 4Ghz. I ran my i7-950 @ 3.85Ghz 24/7 undervolted.

I would use the PC for gaming, so I will overclock


If you can overclock then surely go with the 920....Here's the reason why..

1- A heavily OCed i7 920 will be equal to the i5 2300 in gaming..

2- The upcoming consoles are all octa threaded. So the upcoming console ported games will be octathreaded too. Then the 8 threads of the i7 will have a great advantage over the 2300..(Just like Crysis 3).
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 136 V Motherboard
July 29, 2013 7:15:09 AM

Idk. Here is the review for the 2100. Similar chip, biggest difference between the two is the 2300 is a 4c/4t chip while the 2100 is a 2c/4t chip.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

When it comes to CPU work the 920 is already as fast if not faster however.



Yes the more cache and true cores will help the 2300 go faster then the 2100, but the 920 is already faster. And don't forget that the 920 can be OC'd while the 2100/2300 can't. I'm pretty sure that more so when taking OCing into account, the 920 is the faster CPU.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/the-sandy-bridge-rev...

There are the gaming benchmarks. Honestly it's all over the place. 920 is faster in some, ties in others, and loses some to.

OCing is something to consider if you go for the 920, but a new chip is something to consider if you get the 2300. A z68 board will work great with an "old" 2500k and then you can OC in that system. If you are going to use this system for a long time, the 920 might be the better choice. More so if it's not a gaming machine. But if you want this to be a gaming machine or might upgrade the CPU later then get the 2300.
Share