Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Options for GPU upgrade for triple monitor setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2013 7:36:58 AM

Hey guys, I have a triple monitor build, and I'm in the process of planning an upgrade; but not quite sure what the requirements for graphics cards are in respect to more than one monitor. Otherwise, the specs are pretty standard:

i5 2500k
8G ram
GPU: HD6870
Large 7200 drive
small solid state
Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE
Monitors: 3 -24" ASUS VS248H-P

So I'm pretty familiar with just about every flagship card out there right now, but I really have no idea what the best performing setup would be when hooked up to these 3 monitors. Most of the games I play are ARMA 2 and of course ARMA 3 beta and BF3. Budget is 400 ish. Thanks for the assistance guys!
July 29, 2013 7:55:13 AM

jhathawaytn said:
Hey guys, I have a triple monitor build, and I'm in the process of planning an upgrade; but not quite sure what the requirements for graphics cards are in respect to more than one monitor. Otherwise, the specs are pretty standard:

i5 2500k
8G ram
GPU: HD6870
Large 7200 drive
small solid state
Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE
Monitors: 3 -24" ASUS VS248H-P

So I'm pretty familiar with just about every flagship card out there right now, but I really have no idea what the best performing setup would be when hooked up to these 3 monitors. Most of the games I play are ARMA 2 and of course ARMA 3 beta and BF3. Budget is 400 ish. Thanks for the assistance guys!


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... This card will work, I would also overclock your i5-2500K to 4.5GHz with this cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
Related resources
July 29, 2013 1:07:16 PM

jhathawaytn said:
Hi Q6660,

Thank you for your quick response and good direction. Just one more quick opinon please:

You pointed me to:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

How would you compare this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Is this worth the extra few dollars? Will the extra VRAM help with triple monitors?

Again thank you for you help.


The GTX 670 is a crippled GTX 680 (GTX 770 with slightly lower clocks). I would go for this http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GTX-680-FTW-4GB-/141022987... or this http://www.ebay.com/itm/eVGA-GeForce-GTX-680-4GB-PCIe-v... to the extra memory and good seller reputation. Don't forget to overclock your CPU with the cooler linked. What is the full specs of your system, case, motherboard, hard drive, RAM manufacturer, etc? This is a steal and I think you should get it.
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 1:29:33 PM

Q6660,

Specs to my system are:
Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066 Intel
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2
XFX Radeon HD 6870 (SOON TO REPLACE)
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive - WD10EZEXSAMSUNG
840 Series 240GB SSD (Windows 7 64bit)
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N
Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE
3x ASUS VS248H-P LCD Monitors

Just purchased the Cooler Master CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2) on your recommendation.
m
0
l

Best solution

July 29, 2013 1:31:41 PM

jhathawaytn said:
Q6660,

Specs to my system are:
Intel Core i5 2500K Sandy Bridge
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 Intel Z68 ATX DDR3 1066 Intel
G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series 8GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2
XFX Radeon HD 6870 (SOON TO REPLACE)
WD Blue 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive - WD10EZEXSAMSUNG
840 Series 240GB SSD (Windows 7 64bit)
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I VN700M1W2N
Seasonic 80Plus Power Supply M12II 620 BRONZE
3x ASUS VS248H-P LCD Monitors

Just purchased the Cooler Master CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2) on your recommendation.


Now, I would get either GTX 680 linked, preferably the second one. Overclocking guide, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage... When he says 3.7, he means 4.7 :p 
Share
July 29, 2013 1:42:46 PM

Just my 2 cents.

For around the $3-400 mark I'd be going for either the GTX 770 or the HD 7970.

I would imagine for 3 screens a higher VRAM would be useful as it's sharing, I know the HD 7970 has good bandwidth so the VRAM is more readily available.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-111971...
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 1:45:28 PM

Diamond-HP said:
Just my 2 cents.

For around the $3-400 mark I'd be going for either the GTX 770 or the HD 7970.

I would imagine for 3 screens a higher VRAM would be useful as it's sharing, I know the HD 7970 has good bandwidth so the VRAM is more readily available.


I was able to find him a 4GB GTX 680 for the price of a 2GB 770, the former of which is perfect for the task.
m
0
l
!