Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GPU for GTA4

Tags:
  • GPUs
  • Quad Core
  • Intel i5
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2013 11:40:58 AM

Im just looking for recommendations of a GPU t buy that can run GTA4 well. Im also looking to run LCPDFR the police mod.

i5-3570K Quad Core 3.4 GHz
MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming Mobo
4-8GB Ram (haven't decided yet)
Have 600Watt PSU

Thanks!

More about : gpu gta4

July 29, 2013 11:56:02 AM

A 670 or 770, or even a 660-760 would do fine. But the new 32x.xx Nvidia drivers make GTA literally unplayable, you have to use an older driver, like the 314.22 driver.
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 12:03:25 PM

Well,actually you wouldn't need the most powerful GPU out there to run GTA4 smoothly.Even the good old gtx460 would do the job,and today's GPUs (for ~200$) are much better than that.However bear in mind that GTA4 are poor console port,so if you have the 120Hz monitor wouldn't be much of a help.....the game is severely platform limited.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 29, 2013 12:05:48 PM

Vladimir83 said:
Well,actually you wouldn't need the most powerful GPU out there to run GTA4 smoothly.Even the good old gtx460 would do the job,and today's GPUs (for ~200$) are much better than that.However bear in mind that GTA4 are poor console port,so if you have the 120Hz monitor wouldn't be much of a help.....the game is severely platform limited.


"Playing GTA IV smoothly"

Can such a sentence exist?
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 12:12:04 PM

John Bauer said:
Vladimir83 said:
Well,actually you wouldn't need the most powerful GPU out there to run GTA4 smoothly.Even the good old gtx460 would do the job,and today's GPUs (for ~200$) are much better than that.However bear in mind that GTA4 are poor console port,so if you have the 120Hz monitor wouldn't be much of a help.....the game is severely platform limited.


"Playing GTA IV smoothly"

Can such a sentence exist?


:D 

P.S. 15-60 fps are still good enough :ange: 
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 12:13:40 PM

Vladimir83 said:
John Bauer said:
Vladimir83 said:
Well,actually you wouldn't need the most powerful GPU out there to run GTA4 smoothly.Even the good old gtx460 would do the job,and today's GPUs (for ~200$) are much better than that.However bear in mind that GTA4 are poor console port,so if you have the 120Hz monitor wouldn't be much of a help.....the game is severely platform limited.


"Playing GTA IV smoothly"

Can such a sentence exist?


:D 

P.S. 15-60 fps are still good enough :ange: 


With my 660ti I get about 10-50 fps
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 12:18:09 PM

John Bauer said:
Vladimir83 said:
John Bauer said:
Vladimir83 said:
Well,actually you wouldn't need the most powerful GPU out there to run GTA4 smoothly.Even the good old gtx460 would do the job,and today's GPUs (for ~200$) are much better than that.However bear in mind that GTA4 are poor console port,so if you have the 120Hz monitor wouldn't be much of a help.....the game is severely platform limited.


"Playing GTA IV smoothly"

Can such a sentence exist?


:D 

P.S. 15-60 fps are still good enough :ange: 


With my 660ti I get about 10-50 fps


15-60 fps with HD7870(pitcairn) :pt1cable:  ..... seems like GTA4 doesn't scale well with shaders number(or with anything for that matter)
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 5:24:16 PM

so all in all look into the gtx460 or above? does the rest of my system seem to be well enough up to spec? Thanks for all the help so far!
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 8:09:56 PM

rdkeeney said:
so all in all look into the gtx460 or above? does the rest of my system seem to be well enough up to spec? Thanks for all the help so far!


Yeah- but I would suggest a newer GPU, so you can play modern games better, that's including GTA, and when you buy RAM, buy 8 gigs of at least 1600MHz if it's in your budget.
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 3:39:13 AM

rdkeeney said:
so all in all look into the gtx460 or above? does the rest of my system seem to be well enough up to spec? Thanks for all the help so far!


Yes your system is nice and good.
GPU wise,try to get at least nvidia GTX660,or if you prefer AMD than HD7850/70.Those are much better than gtx460 and in 150-200$ range,so if up to you.
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 1:13:18 PM

Thanks to all of you for your help and suggestions. What about the GTX650ti? Am I benefiting all that much in the extra $35 or so to get the 660 or another $20 from that for the 660ti? Im just trying to keep it in the $150-200 for GPU
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 1:16:21 PM

Just another thought...am I really gaining or losing much between brands. Such as buying the same card from EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, ect
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 1:28:58 PM

I would go with the HD7770. Less than 200$(I think it's around 150$ now). I got it for 200$ and I play GTA4 alot. Runs perfectly smooth. I get over 30-70FPS,even when it's modded and stuff.
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 2:02:43 PM

the CPU is the key to getting GTAIV to run well. Or a PS3, it runs pretty well on that.
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 2:11:39 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
the CPU is the key to getting GTAIV to run well. Or a PS3, it runs pretty well on that.


PS3 is out of the question because im looking to run the LCPDFR mod. and I feel pretty confident in my cpu choice. just need a good gpu to complement it
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 4:27:44 PM

rdkeeney said:
Just another thought...am I really gaining or losing much between brands. Such as buying the same card from EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, ect


I personally prefer the ASUS(being using theirs mobos&GPUs since 2002),but I think that every other well known brand has its own loyal fan base.Its hard to get wrong at least with the mid-tiers graphics card,the differences will be minimal(noise/heat/OCing).

P.S. its hard to justify going over 200$ for GPUs,especially if you game at 1080p.
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 4:36:23 PM

Vladimir83 said:
rdkeeney said:
Just another thought...am I really gaining or losing much between brands. Such as buying the same card from EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, ect


I personally prefer the ASUS(being using theirs mobos&GPUs since 2002),but I think that every other well known brand has its own loyal fan base.Its hard to get wrong at least with the mid-tiers graphics card,the differences will be minimal(noise/heat/OCing).

P.S. its hard to justify going over 200$ for GPUs,especially if you game at 1080p.


Just to be clear, your saying that I really shouldnt need to buy one over $200? its pretty much overkill then
m
0
l

Best solution

July 30, 2013 5:33:08 PM

rdkeeney said:
Vladimir83 said:
rdkeeney said:
Just another thought...am I really gaining or losing much between brands. Such as buying the same card from EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, ect


I personally prefer the ASUS(being using theirs mobos&GPUs since 2002),but I think that every other well known brand has its own loyal fan base.Its hard to get wrong at least with the mid-tiers graphics card,the differences will be minimal(noise/heat/OCing).

P.S. its hard to justify going over 200$ for GPUs,especially if you game at 1080p.


Just to be clear, your saying that I really shouldnt need to buy one over $200? its pretty much overkill then


Yes there aren't many games out there that wont be able to max out with GTX660 or HD7850/70

Specifically you ask about GTA4 with mods and yes everything over those cards are overkill.....heck you can play Crysis 3 on high :) 
Share
July 30, 2013 7:28:38 PM

Vladimir83 said:
rdkeeney said:
Vladimir83 said:
rdkeeney said:
Just another thought...am I really gaining or losing much between brands. Such as buying the same card from EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, ASUS, ect


I personally prefer the ASUS(being using theirs mobos&GPUs since 2002),but I think that every other well known brand has its own loyal fan base.Its hard to get wrong at least with the mid-tiers graphics card,the differences will be minimal(noise/heat/OCing).

P.S. its hard to justify going over 200$ for GPUs,especially if you game at 1080p.


Just to be clear, your saying that I really shouldnt need to buy one over $200? its pretty much overkill then


Yes there aren't many games out there that wont be able to max out with GTX660 or HD7850/70

Specifically you ask about GTA4 with mods and yes everything over those cards are overkill.....heck you can play Crysis 3 on high :) 


i disagree with that, i had a single gtx660 and going to dual 660's has made it so i can actually max out metro last light and crysis 2 without dropping below 60fps. a single 660 would drop to the 30's at times.
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 9:30:52 PM

Yes but it all depends what games do you playing.Metro LL is 2013 while GTA4 is 2008 we cannot compare simple as that.
For example I am more of a Skyrim guy,and for me anything more powerful(than hd7870) is just a waste of money.And still i can play any modern title if not on ultra than on high which for me is just fine.
m
0
l
!