Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for a good low-profile graphics card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2013 1:28:35 PM

Okay so I've been meaning to upgrade my graphics card from the Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset. My budget would be minimum 100$ and maximum around 150$

I believe (from what I've read) that I need a low-profile Graphics card because I have a slim case. So after looking around I found one that I thought was reasonable enough http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... is it any good? Any ideas or suggestions? Should I even bother upgrading at all?

My PC specs:
Model: Inspiron 530s
Graphics card: Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset
PSU: It has around 250 watts
Some MOBO specs: motherboard with at least 1 PCI-e x16 slot
3.00 GB of RAM
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 with 2.20 GHz

Some spec links:
http://www.dell.com/us/dfh/p/inspiron-530s/pd

If I forgot something let me know (I'm fairly new but I learn fast)
Any help is appreciated.


Side note: I know my PC is not that great and it's from around '08 but I just want to play games from around '09 maybe 2010 (or later if I can) with enjoyable performance while I am able to save up money to build myself my own PC
a c 266 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
July 29, 2013 1:37:23 PM

That 7750 is about the strongest graphics card you can buy that does not need auxiliary 6 pin power.
If your 250W psu is of good quality, you should be ok. But often prebuilts include only minimum spec power supplies.

I would try it. If necessary, you can buy a stronger psu.
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 1:59:06 PM

geofelt said:
That 7750 is about the strongest graphics card you can buy that does not need auxiliary 6 pin power.
If your 250W psu is of good quality, you should be ok. But often prebuilts include only minimum spec power supplies.

I would try it. If necessary, you can buy a stronger psu.

Hmm how much would a PSU cost and do you think that Graphics card can be run with the watts I have with minor to no problems? Or do you thing it'll just drain my PSU quicker that normal?



m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2013 2:40:48 PM

furgil said:
geofelt said:
That 7750 is about the strongest graphics card you can buy that does not need auxiliary 6 pin power.
If your 250W psu is of good quality, you should be ok. But often prebuilts include only minimum spec power supplies.

I would try it. If necessary, you can buy a stronger psu.

Hmm how much would a PSU cost and do you think that Graphics card can be run with the watts I have with minor to no problems? Or do you thing it'll just drain my PSU quicker that normal?





Sapphire 7750 low profile was proven to work even on 165 watt HP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... go to page 2 Feedback and look for TazarZero post.

So you good to go.

Anything else I can help you with?
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 4:50:03 PM

Kisianik said:
furgil said:
geofelt said:
That 7750 is about the strongest graphics card you can buy that does not need auxiliary 6 pin power.
If your 250W psu is of good quality, you should be ok. But often prebuilts include only minimum spec power supplies.

I would try it. If necessary, you can buy a stronger psu.

Hmm how much would a PSU cost and do you think that Graphics card can be run with the watts I have with minor to no problems? Or do you thing it'll just drain my PSU quicker that normal?





Sapphire 7750 low profile was proven to work even on 165 watt HP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... go to page 2 Feedback and look for TazarZero post.

So you good to go.

Anything else I can help you with?

Well that card is for PCIe 3.0 x16 and I have PCIe x16 do you think there is a big difference or will it not affect it by that much?

m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 30, 2013 5:26:56 PM

Technically speaking there is a big difference:
PCIE X16 3.0 - bandwidth is 16,000 MB/s and PCIE X16 1.0 - bandwidth is 4,000 MB/s.
But considering power consumption, 7750 can work on your power supply and older ones such as 6750 or 5750 card would require power supply upgrade delivering the same performance.
So, to make it easier to understand, PCIE 3.0 card will run on your system at 1.0 speed.

For more information look here http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/printpage/Everything-You...

When comparing to the Inspiron 660 Slim, if 660s will have the same components as yours, PCIE 3.0 will run faster, but you have what you have, so in this case you would have to disregard bandwidth. What can you do?

I can say only that users reported increased happiness with similar situation as yours, so you would as well.

Anything else I can help you with?

P.S. If you finding any answers particularly helpful to you, please mark it as Pick A solution, to solve the thread - it will benefit others, searching for the same question.
Share
a c 266 U Graphics card
a b å Intel
July 31, 2013 6:44:58 AM

furgil said:
geofelt said:
That 7750 is about the strongest graphics card you can buy that does not need auxiliary 6 pin power.
If your 250W psu is of good quality, you should be ok. But often prebuilts include only minimum spec power supplies.

I would try it. If necessary, you can buy a stronger psu.

Hmm how much would a PSU cost and do you think that Graphics card can be run with the watts I have with minor to no problems? Or do you thing it'll just drain my PSU quicker that normal?





The 7750 has run ok on tom's ITX build using a antec 150w psu:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/mini-itx-do-it-your...
If a psu has insufficient power, you will see artifacts on the display and possibly other issues, but no permanent damage will result.
If need be, a CorsairCX430 often sells near $30 after rebate.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 31, 2013 7:06:47 AM

Quote:
geofelt said:
If need be, a CorsairCX430 often sells near $30 after rebate.


Very nice advice considering that OP is using Slim version PC, so no ATX power supplies, only TFX.
SeaSonic SS-350TGM Bulk 350W TFX12V (v2.31) 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is one of few possible power supply upgrades, but it is not necessary, because 7750 will work on your original power supply.

Anything else I can help you with?
m
0
l
July 31, 2013 3:20:57 PM

Kisianik said:
Quote:
geofelt said:
If need be, a CorsairCX430 often sells near $30 after rebate.


Very nice advice considering that OP is using Slim version PC, so no ATX power supplies, only TFX.
SeaSonic SS-350TGM Bulk 350W TFX12V (v2.31) 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
This is one of few possible power supply upgrades, but it is not necessary, because 7750 will work on your original power supply.

Anything else I can help you with?

Okay I think I'll buy this one and stick with it for some time while I raise up money to build my own computer but that is another thread for another time :p  thanks to all who gave their advice. Edit: Wait I forgot to ask what games do you believe I will be able to play with this card? Like an estimate of the year (games from '09 and down or games from '11 and down) like that. Thanks again

m
0
l
!