Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking to upgrade my GPU - Need advice.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 29, 2013 5:52:20 PM

Hello all, I was looking into upgrading my current GPU which is a GTX 550 Ti. Not the best, but it has gotten the job done so far. Now I'm looking into getting into recording game play for YouTube and such. So, my main focus would be gaming/recording and rendering.

Right now I have a AMD FX-6300 CPU, which, should be more than good enough for now. I'm not looking to upgrade at to an Intel, as I'd have to buy another MB with it and right now, my budget is limited. Speaking of budgets, I'm looking to spend no more than $200-$220. Might go higher if there is a card good enough.

I'm looking at one card in particular; http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SUPERCLOCKED-Graphic...

My power supply is a 650W which, should be enough for the card.
If you guys have any more tips, or suggestions feel free to do so. :) 

More about : upgrade gpu advice

Best solution

July 29, 2013 5:57:44 PM

the gtx760 is the obvious choice here, it costs around $250 but performs on par with high end gtx670 and hd7950s. You are literally getting 2x the performance any $200 range cards like the gtx660 or hd7850 can offer.

Share
July 29, 2013 6:20:41 PM

One more vote for the GTX 760, if you can afford it. It will last longer.

Don't take that "literally getting 2x the performance" too seriously though. Look at the benchmark, 75.4 vs 56.3 means 1.34x more performance.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 29, 2013 6:21:06 PM

shamsmu said:
the gtx760 is the obvious choice here, it costs around $250 but performs on par with high end gtx670 and hd7950s. You are literally getting 2x the performance any $200 range cards like the gtx660 or hd7850 can offer.



It seems so. I looked up a few benchmarks myself, and it seems good for the price. Thank you. :)  Now, my PSU should be able to handle it? Or, should I look into upgrading it? I don't really intend to overclock anything, just an FYI.
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 6:22:19 PM

aevm said:
One more vote for the GTX 760, if you can afford it. It will last longer.

Don't take that "literally getting 2x the performance" too seriously though. Look at the benchmark, 75.4 vs 56.3 means 1.34x more performance.


Figured it wouldn't be that much of a different in performance. Thank you, though. I think the 760 is my pick.
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 6:25:17 PM

Also, another question. Would it increase performance a noticeable amount from my current GTX 550 Ti?
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 6:28:01 PM

aevm said:
One more vote for the GTX 760, if you can afford it. It will last longer.

Don't take that "literally getting 2x the performance" too seriously though. Look at the benchmark, 75.4 vs 56.3 means 1.34x more performance.


oops what I meant was performs like gpus that nearly costs 2x.


Ducksworth said:
Also, another question. Would it increase performance a noticeable amount from my current GTX 550 Ti?


oh yes, this time saying 2x isnt an exaggeration at all. more like an understatement

what is your psu make and model btw? any decent 500w would be more than enough.
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 6:33:35 PM

shamsmu said:
aevm said:
One more vote for the GTX 760, if you can afford it. It will last longer.

Don't take that "literally getting 2x the performance" too seriously though. Look at the benchmark, 75.4 vs 56.3 means 1.34x more performance.


oops what I meant was performs like gpus that nearly costs 2x.


Ducksworth said:
Also, another question. Would it increase performance a noticeable amount from my current GTX 550 Ti?


oh yes, this time saying 2x isnt an exaggeration at all. more like an understatement

what is your psu make and model btw? any decent 500w would be more than enough.


It's a Antec Earthwatts 650w Ea-650 Green. So, my guess it that it should handle it?
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 6:37:34 PM

Ducksworth said:
Also, another question. Would it increase performance a noticeable amount from my current GTX 550 Ti?


As long is there is no other bottlenecks the 760 will offer a good improvement. Your PSU at 650W (assuming it's a reliable model) it will handle the card - the Nvidia site recommends a 500W PSU. This is especially true if you have the correct connectors on your PCI-Express Rail. The stock 760 uses 2 6-pin connectors and most aftermarket use an 8-pin and a 6-pin. If you have those connectors with a 650W quality PSU you will be golden!
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 6:38:53 PM

Ducksworth said:


It's a Antec Earthwatts 650w Ea-650 Green. So, my guess it that it should handle it?


more than good enough
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 6:38:58 PM

Ducksworth said:
shamsmu said:
aevm said:
One more vote for the GTX 760, if you can afford it. It will last longer.

Don't take that "literally getting 2x the performance" too seriously though. Look at the benchmark, 75.4 vs 56.3 means 1.34x more performance.


oops what I meant was performs like gpus that nearly costs 2x.


Ducksworth said:
Also, another question. Would it increase performance a noticeable amount from my current GTX 550 Ti?


oh yes, this time saying 2x isnt an exaggeration at all. more like an understatement

what is your psu make and model btw? any decent 500w would be more than enough.


It's a Antec Earthwatts 650w Ea-650 Green. So, my guess it that it should handle it?


According to newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

you have 2 6+2 pin adapters on the PCI-Express rail. You're set.
m
0
l
July 29, 2013 6:40:39 PM

OcelotRex said:
Ducksworth said:
Also, another question. Would it increase performance a noticeable amount from my current GTX 550 Ti?


As long is there is no other bottlenecks the 760 will offer a good improvement. Your PSU at 650W (assuming it's a reliable model) it will handle the card - the Nvidia site recommends a 500W PSU. This is especially true if you have the correct connectors on your PCI-Express Rail. The stock 760 uses 2 6-pin connectors and most aftermarket use an 8-pin and a 6-pin. If you have those connectors with a 650W quality PSU you will be golden!


Good to hear. As far as I know, my CPU shouldn't bottleneck it. Or to an extreme. I have a AMD FX 6300 in there, and 8 gigs ram. I am looking to upgrade the CPU, as well as add more ram in the future but for right now, I think that my current GPU is holding my CPU back.
m
0
l
!