1400$ rendering PC final build review. Any changes?

mashu009

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/mashu009/saved/23Jo

This is my final build that i've come up with. Note the case is not included as that is separate from my budget, but do want to know if everything will fit in this case?
The comp will mainly be used for rendering (I'm architect student about to graduate at the end of the year) and my laptop cannot continue running some of the programs at a decent speed.

case in mind: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112411

Any critiques or what you would change. I'd like to start ordering parts within 24 hours.

Solution
Those software come with multiple renderers to choose from. But it would probably be safe to say you are using cpu renderers. So any gpu is not going to make a difference in render times but only in viewport performance. If you really want to cut down on render times, you could go with a 6 core or try a gpu renderer. Max comes with quicksilver and iray and on my gpu, it's around 10x faster than mental ray or default renderer. But they have limitations in what materials you can use. The 770 would do better as quicksilver uses dx and iray is nvidia only. Amd cards only excel in opencl. Revit/sketchup/rhino would still only be cpu though. Photoshop doesn't have "renderers" so to speak.

mashu009

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

revit 2013/3dsmax/sketchup/rhino/Photoshop

Images from revit on best quality take 6+ hours to render on my laptop right now.

Those software come with multiple renderers to choose from. But it would probably be safe to say you are using cpu renderers. So any gpu is not going to make a difference in render times but only in viewport performance. If you really want to cut down on render times, you could go with a 6 core or try a gpu renderer. Max comes with quicksilver and iray and on my gpu, it's around 10x faster than mental ray or default renderer. But they have limitations in what materials you can use. The 770 would do better as quicksilver uses dx and iray is nvidia only. Amd cards only excel in opencl. Revit/sketchup/rhino would still only be cpu though. Photoshop doesn't have "renderers" so to speak.

Solution

mashu009

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Ah, I see. Its still a better cpu than my laptop. And better viewpoint performance would still be awesome.