HD 7950 vapor-x

chuchutrain

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I have an issue with the sapphire HD 7950 vapor-x. It has what is called an "ez boost" button which essential OC the gpu by 100 mhz. When I activated it GPUZ reports it should be at 950 mhz but still only tops out at 850 mhz (yes while using a 3D program).

So I was advised by sapphire tech to go into CCC and mess with the overdrive options. I ended up using CCC to push it up to 950mhz which worked fine but here is where things start getting funny.

When it is running at 850 mhz it is constant and stable (500 mhz when idle). When I pushed it to 950 mhz it likes to jump between 950 and 850 mhz like it is unstable. The tech I was emailing said this is normal but to me that seems very abnormal especially for a card which has a supposeable "bios" setting for 950 mhz to be this unstable.

Any thoughts or suggestions? I've had this card little over a month now and am thinking maybe I should try RMA it due to it not running at what is specified.

Solution
Normally on boost edition cards the "boost" speed isnt supposed to be constant. The cards "boosts" up to that speed when extra power is needed temporarily. This is the difference between boost and OC cards. I have 2x 7950's, both from Sapphire. One is an OC edition clocked at 900mhz. The other is a boost edition clocked at 850mhz, but its boosts up at certain times so I will see it jump between 850mhz and 950mhz. It seems like what your card is doing is normal for a boost edition. If you want to Overclock it and have it stay at the higher rate, download Sapphires Trixx or MSI afterburner, both are much better for overclocking than CCC.

AdioKIP

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Normally on boost edition cards the "boost" speed isnt supposed to be constant. The cards "boosts" up to that speed when extra power is needed temporarily. This is the difference between boost and OC cards. I have 2x 7950's, both from Sapphire. One is an OC edition clocked at 900mhz. The other is a boost edition clocked at 850mhz, but its boosts up at certain times so I will see it jump between 850mhz and 950mhz. It seems like what your card is doing is normal for a boost edition. If you want to Overclock it and have it stay at the higher rate, download Sapphires Trixx or MSI afterburner, both are much better for overclocking than CCC.

Solution

chuchutrain

Honorable
May 22, 2013
Thank you both for that info. I assumed the "boost" was same as OC but they just wanted to call it something unique. That is good to know. I don't need to OC my card as my CPU is throttling my system atm so no worries there. Just thought it was odd behavior!