Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

GTX 680 sufficient for 1440p

Tags:
  • Gtx
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 30, 2013 9:22:02 AM

For a 27" 1440p monitor, is a gtx 680 enough? I plan on purchasing another for SLI within the next 7 or 8 months, but for now, will i be able to play games at fairly high settings? (assuming AA is off).

also, lets assume enough means at least around 50-60 fps.

More about : gtx 680 sufficient 1440p

a b C Monitor
July 30, 2013 9:27:20 AM

Assuming you don't already own it just buy the 770, its a cheaper and faster card. But yes a 680 is fine for that.
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 9:29:12 AM

1440p might have been considered a high definition some years ago, but with video cards getting more and more powerful, even entry level cards can handle that resolution fairly well. So basically, the second 680 isn't mandatory. Just one 680 should be able to handle most games with high settings at 1440p (especially if AA is off, I would assume it will be able to run with Ultra settings easily).
m
0
l
Related resources
July 30, 2013 9:41:06 AM

Tim Madison said:
For a 27" 1440p monitor, is a gtx 680 enough? I plan on purchasing another for SLI within the next 7 or 8 months, but for now, will i be able to play games at fairly high settings? (assuming AA is off).

also, lets assume enough means at least around 50-60 fps.


I have a 680 myself. What games do you plan on gaming?
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 10:16:25 AM

DavidRappl said:
Tim Madison said:
For a 27" 1440p monitor, is a gtx 680 enough? I plan on purchasing another for SLI within the next 7 or 8 months, but for now, will i be able to play games at fairly high settings? (assuming AA is off).

also, lets assume enough means at least around 50-60 fps.


I have a 680 myself. What games do you plan on gaming?


lots of starcraft II, planetside 2, dark souls, skyrim, some pretty decent examples
m
0
l

Best solution

July 30, 2013 12:27:33 PM

Ok. I play on 1080P. I only played Planetside 2 with my Asus 680 DirectCU II Top. I get around 80fps with everything apart from AA maxed out. So 1440P should be no problem.

But I would consider getting a 770 GTX from EVGA or Gigabyte, since they are on par with the 680 and have additional functions like GPU Boost 2.
Share
July 30, 2013 1:01:44 PM

DavidRappl said:
Ok. I play on 1080P. I only played Planetside 2 with my Asus 680 DirectCU II Top. I get around 80fps with everything apart from AA maxed out. So 1440P should be no problem.

But I would consider getting a 770 GTX from EVGA or Gigabyte, since they are on par with the 680 and have additional functions like GPU Boost 2.


I had thought about it, but I've already had my 680 for a while, I was leaning more towards SLI, since I've got the first one, and it's considerably more performance than a single 770 for about the same cost. Shame, considering the 770 is a better deal.
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 3:19:10 PM

Tim Madison said:
DavidRappl said:
Ok. I play on 1080P. I only played Planetside 2 with my Asus 680 DirectCU II Top. I get around 80fps with everything apart from AA maxed out. So 1440P should be no problem.

But I would consider getting a 770 GTX from EVGA or Gigabyte, since they are on par with the 680 and have additional functions like GPU Boost 2.


I had thought about it, but I've already had my 680 for a while, I was leaning more towards SLI, since I've got the first one, and it's considerably more performance than a single 770 for about the same cost. Shame, considering the 770 is a better deal.


Sorry, my bad - did not read your original comment correctly.
Well, with two 680 you should get at around 120fps at 1440P with everything maxed out, in every game you mentioned. You will get around 60-70fps average with only one 680.
m
0
l
!