Solved Closed

Moving pre-installed windows 8 from HDD to SSD? [asus laptop]

Just bought a new gaming asus laptop with pre-installed windows 8. I also bought a 120gb SSD. I havent even used the laptop yet so there is nothing on it at all. I installed the SSD and got it formatted so its now recognized. Now i have no clue how I should go about transferring windows 8 to the SSD because the OS key is in the BIOS and it didnt come with any discs.

Ive done much googling but it seems no one actually knows how to do it and are just giving suggestions. Ive read you can either clone or fresh install, and since there is nothing on the HDD i think the fresh install would be a better idea? But how can i fresh install without the discs or OS key?

I am terrible at this OS/partitioning stuff so the simpler the better, thanks!

laptopmodel:
ASUS G75VX
Win8 64bit
1TB HDD
120GB SSD
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about moving pre installed windows hdd ssd asus laptop
  1. Best answer
    For a Clean install on the SSD you will need Windows 8 recovery media supplied by

    the computer manufacturer
  2. Whats the recovery media?
  3. http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

    Guide ^
  4. SR-71 Blackbird said:
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds
    Guide ^

    How am i meant to get the ISO if I dont know the OS key because its in the BIOS? And how am i meant to disconnect the 1TB HDD? do i physically remove it from underneath the laptop? will a 4gb USB flash drive work for the ISO file and do i need to do anything to the USB drive before i do this?
  5. ok actually i found my key with Belarc advisor now. so i will put burn the ISO to my USB drive but what format does the USB need to be NTFS or FAT32? oh and this is a GBT install?
  6. I suspect that when you try to download the ISO using an OEM product key it will be refused. I have successfully transferred a W8 OS from an HDD to an SSD using the System Image facility, but it's quite complicated...
  7. redjokr said:
    Whats the recovery media?


    Recovery media is the disk that came with your laptop to reinstall the OS and drivers. Sometimes this is stored on the drive that shipped with the laptop, in which case, you need to call the laptop vendor and request a an install disc for getting the OS and drivers onto a new hard disk (just tell them the hard drive that came with your laptop failed and you need to reinstall onto an SSD).
  8. First thing to do when you buy a new laptop

    How to Create Factory Disc with One Key Recovery (ie. for Lenovo):

    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT081644

    Then do the backups

    Then swap the HDD with SSD

    Now how to reinstall your system on SSD:

    Introduction to Lenovo OneKey Recovery 4.0 for Desktops:

    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/detail.page?DocID=HT077226

    For Asus there should be some procedure like this too.
  9. braselectron said:
    First thing to do when you buy a new laptop

    How to Create Factory Disc with One Key Recovery (ie. for Lenovo):

    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT081644

    Then do the backups

    Then swap the HDD with SSD

    Now how to reinstall your system on SSD:

    Introduction to Lenovo OneKey Recovery 4.0 for Desktops:

    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/detail.page?DocID=HT077226

    For Asus there should be some procedure like this too.

    Agreed (Partially), but the Universal method that applies to all PCs with a Recovery Partition is to create a Recovery Drive which copies the Recovery Partition and creates a bootable Recovery Drive. Just require a 16Gb USB pendrive and type 'Create' at the Start Screen. Choose 'Create a Recovery Drive'. (From Settings if Windows 8)
    Users without Installation Media should create one whether they have a Recovery Partition or not!
    Your Recovery Drive along with it's Recovery Partition can then be used to install to a clean HDD or SSD but Windows thinks it is on a new PC so you will have to Activate via the Telephone method, you do NOT have to buy another key as the Activation message claims!
    To Install or Recover, boot from the USB Drive and use Troubleshoot and Advanced Options to Reset your PC. As you are using a Recovery Partition it is not a System Image!
  10. redjokr said:
    Just bought a new gaming asus laptop with pre-installed windows 8. I also bought a 120gb SSD. I havent even used the laptop yet so there is nothing on it at all. I installed the SSD and got it formatted so its now recognized. Now i have no clue how I should go about transferring windows 8 to the SSD because the OS key is in the BIOS and it didnt come with any discs.

    Ive done much googling but it seems no one actually knows how to do it and are just giving suggestions. Ive read you can either clone or fresh install, and since there is nothing on the HDD i think the fresh install would be a better idea? But how can i fresh install without the discs or OS key?

    I am terrible at this OS/partitioning stuff so the simpler the better, thanks!

    laptopmodel:
    ASUS G75VX
    Win8 64bit
    1TB HDD
    120GB SSD


    I am in similar position except mine is a M51AC Desktop. Originally contacted ASUS and was told to make a recovery USB using Windows and a series of steps to install on the SSD. It did not work so not going to post their instructions. The error I kept receiving that could not rectify was when the recovery USB asked to keep partitioning or repartition the drive it gave the same error message regardless of what I selected (that the drive was too small to be partitioned/repartitioned). My next step will be to do what I did on previous computer where I have the SSD, which is to clone the drive that has the windows and boot sections. Suggest searching for easiest way to clone drives.
  11. Moving pre-installed window 8.1 from HDD to SSD [asus laptop]

    I used the ASUS utility call "Backtracker", installed into the original hard disk(Pre-installed HDD).
    Start the backtracker, you can make a USB recovery media, test it and make sure it work first before you swap your HDD to SSD.
    Swap your HDD to SSD.
    then, you just boot from USB recovery media.
    It will do its own thing and installed the system.

    I spend 2 days to use win base cloning software but it doesn't work.

    laptopmodel
    ASUS X450J
    Win 8.1 64bit
    1TB HDD
    240GB SSD

    http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008640/
  12. Try the Asus Backtracker utility. It can backup your recovery partition or the windows system.

    http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1008641/

    Regards.

    obs: I have post this same answer in another post: (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/1106-73-make-recovey-media-asus-windows-preloaded-systems#14998860). I think will work for this question as well.
  13. dodger46 said:
    braselectron said:
    First thing to do when you buy a new laptop

    How to Create Factory Disc with One Key Recovery (ie. for Lenovo):

    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=HT081644

    Then do the backups

    Then swap the HDD with SSD

    Now how to reinstall your system on SSD:

    Introduction to Lenovo OneKey Recovery 4.0 for Desktops:

    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/diagnose-and-fix/detail.page?DocID=HT077226

    For Asus there should be some procedure like this too.

    Agreed (Partially), but the Universal method that applies to all PCs with a Recovery Partition is to create a Recovery Drive which copies the Recovery Partition and creates a bootable Recovery Drive. Just require a 16Gb USB pendrive and type 'Create' at the Start Screen. Choose 'Create a Recovery Drive'. (From Settings if Windows 8)
    Users without Installation Media should create one whether they have a Recovery Partition or not!
    Your Recovery Drive along with it's Recovery Partition can then be used to install to a clean HDD or SSD but Windows thinks it is on a new PC so you will have to Activate via the Telephone method, you do NOT have to buy another key as the Activation message claims!
    To Install or Recover, boot from the USB Drive and use Troubleshoot and Advanced Options to Reset your PC. As you are using a Recovery Partition it is not a System Image!



    I must say that I also agree partially with you because new laptops/machines that come with Windows 8.x (10x), the Product Key is now encrypted in the Bios/firmware - there's more about this in the article on the link below:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33642_7-57554240-292/windows-8-moves-to-bios-based-product-keys/

    If you would like a clean install ( removing all of the extra programs installed by the computer manufacturer ), you reinstall Windows 8 using a retail disk (or download it), but you will also need to reinstall all of the specific hardware drivers from your manufacturer and other utilities installed for that specific computer.

    Sometimes this can turn into a very long and difficult process if you are not careful, so plan ahead.

    I choose to remove all manufacture bloatware (including windows) and make my system better to be managed and safer, I use Linux. :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Laptops Windows 8 Asus SSD