7970 now or wait for next gpus?

JoseyMG

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
This is my first pc build and i have a couple of options. Ill be gaming at 1080p, med-high settings for fps reasons and i have a couple cards in mind. The 7970 matrix platinum, which is a beast overclocker. Vapor x which looks sick. Sapphire GHz edition which i can get 2 of for less than a 780. Or a 770.. OR 2 760s, which will kinda be overkill but for the same price as a 7970 matrix its kind of a better deal. One final option that i have is getting a less powerful card like a 7870, and wait untill amd releases the new gpus. then sell the 7870. I plan on recording my gameplay and with nvidias "Shadowplay" all around the corner (i think thats what its called) recording gameplay will be easier on that. Ill play mostly bf4 and arma 3/dayz. Ill also be doing video editing. (Vegas, AAE CS6, some 3ds max) so im going with a 3770k which i will OC the fudge out of. 16 Gigs of ram @ 2400MHz for rendering. Im really considering the 7970 Matrix as thats all ill really need (Near 100FPS on BF3 when OC'd) but the stupid led lights on it change depending on how stressed the thing is. My color scheme is black/red the thing is blue at idle. Purple under some stress, and red at full. I dont want it at full. lol I want something that can handle Those 3 games primarily so what would be the better choice. I have around 500-600$$ to spend, dont recommend the 780, although its a GREAT card, i can get an sli set up for less, which would be better, as i dont plan on upgrading anytime soon. (4-5 years) Thanks :)

Solution

JoseyMG

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

I dont necessarily need shadowplay, i just think itd be a nice feature. i can alwayse use fraps or dxtory id have no problem with that. :T

The whole point of Shadowplay is that it's a way better option than anything else out there. Basically it's always on with no CPU overhead and almost no impact on performance.

I'm curious what it is about AMD cards that would make you willing to give up on something like Shadowplay, and things like PhysX, etc. Just curious.

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
7970. Given you want to OC, the 7970 will OC much higher than the 770. Both are basically one year old tech - 770 is just a re-packaged, clocked higher, and priced lower 680.

I found the following link - pretty good numbers favoring an OC'd 7970 - not sure how reliable the source is though.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?p=24502493

My own experience is I have both a 7850 and GTX 660 build. 660 is rated higher in the reviews, but OC'd, I get more performance out of the 7850. The 660 sits nicely in an HTPC/Gaming PC, and I don't touch it.

So, if I wanted a GPU that I didn't want to touch, I'd get the 770. If I wanted to tinker and OC for maximum performance, I'd get the 7970.

It also may depend on games you play, as the two cards can trade blows depending on the game.

JoseyMG

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Im not interested in PhysX, and Amd cards are a tad bit cheaper depending on the cooler some manufacturers put on it but for something like a Sapphire 7970 i can get for 320$ while the slightly better 770 is 410$, and i can use that money to buy other things. Also the never settle bundle, the games im not really interested in, but i again, can sell them for other things.

Well dont go dual AMD gpu's until they fix their crossfire problems. i vote for get a gtx770 now, then a second one later for SLI.

JoseyMG

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Aww man :c Im probably going to go with the 7970s anyway. Still dont know which ones though. :T

ekseli

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
If you need a GPU now, don't wait for the next gen. Get the GPU that fits your needs and wallet best now and upgrade when you need to. No point in waiting for the next generation - you'll be waiting forever.

Nothing suggests that the HD 9000 series is going to be revolutionary over the current generation. Faster sure, but not by a wide enough margin that it would justify waiting for 2-3 months for its release and availability.

I'd only recommend waiting if you already had a decent GPU and you were in no rush to upgrade, but seeing as you don't have one at all, I'd strongly recommend you get the best GPU you can afford now.

why would you do that knowing what everyone has just told you? are you nuts?
- you want shadowplay, yet your getting a card that doesnt support this
- You want to crossfire, knowing it wont get you smoother gameplay than a single card
- you get no free games
- you can afford a gtx770 or 2 x 760's which will give you exactly what you want and more
................. I dont understand your logic?

vertexx

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013

Everyone... being you?

Many good reasons to do the 7970. Initial post emphasized overclocking - that's reason enough.

Recommend any of the 3GB GHz editions.

ekseli

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Is the overclocked 7970 faster than a pre-overclocked 770 out of the box? Both are good cards, it mostly comes down to the price-performance ratio. Although the 770 has the benefit of consuming less power and being quite noticeably quieter than any of the Radeons. If you care for how quiet your system sounds, then the 770 is definitely the better choice. MSI and Asus have the quietest coolers around for the 770 and you wont go wrong with either of them.

I agree, it is hard to understand when you stack up the pros and cons. That's even without mentioning that CUDA accelerated video editing software like 3DS Max will most certainly benefit from an Nvidia card. Some people just prefer one brand over another.

JoseyMG

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Yea ive done more research on it and Ive decided to go with the 770. However there are many editions available, but the 2 ive been looking at are the EVGA SC one or the MSi lightning. The MSi is a better overclocker, although the evga already comes factory overclocked. I like the look of the Evga ones, and the MSi have this yellow looking strip right across them, but i can always paint that red. For 50 bucks more, slightly better OC and im hearing a slightly better cooler, is the MSi version worth it? I was also considering the Gigabyte one, but i dont need 4gb of vram, only gaming on 1 monitor @ 1080p, and im not playing heavily modded Skyrim or anything like that, i think 2gb is enough.

I would take a look at the MSI Gaming Edition. It is much cheaper than the Lightning, but still comes with upgraded components, 6 power phases, and overvoltage through Afterburner so it overclocks very well. As an added bonus, it comes with the red and black color scheme. The Lightning is top of the line, though, by just a bit (12 power phases, gold connectors, and the GPU Reactor add on which stabilizes power delivery).

Between the MSI Twin Frozr cooler and the EVGA ACX, you'll find the MSI cards are a little quieter and have higher quality "Military Class" components.

Quote:
"Stripping the heat sink off the PCB, the aluminum PCB support/memory cooler is visible as it wraps around the PCB to cover the 7000MHz memory modules and Military Class 4 power circuitry. A black PCB is used on this card and meshes nicely with the design. Once the memory cooler is removed you can see the power supply layout on the PCB. MSI uses its Military Class 4 components selection that includes solid aluminum capacitors (ten year increase in longevity), new Super Ferrite chokes (SFC 30% power handling increase), and tantalum core Hi-C caps (stabilize power delivery). This construction philosophy is meant to improve efficiency, longevity, and the current handling capabilities to drive increased overclocking potential."
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/msi_gtx_770/2.htm

Solution

JoseyMG

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion, i think im going to go with the gigabyte 770, since its a great card and it only has positive reviews. It isnt the best looking, but it also has 4GB of vram. I know its not necessary, but what if future games start using more? And what if i want to game on 3 monitors? I think its a good investment for "future proofing". Also amd released the new drivers to fix micro stuttering today, but i think im still going to stick with nvidia for shadowplay. :T Thanks for all your help man

ekseli

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

There's not a big difference, but the MSI (also available in 4GB) has a better cooler than the Gigabyte card.