Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Looking for help finding drivers

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 30, 2013 8:21:47 PM

My windows vista operating system recently crashed and i downloaded Windows XP Home SP2. Because it doesn't come with the drivers my computer needs, i had to download XP from an older system. I have been searching for drivers to download so i can use the new computer, but its harder than i thought. I have a Gateway GT5628, the specs are at the bottom. Also, i'm having trouble connecting to the internet with a Netgear 3100 wireless adapter, so i have a flash drive that can be used to transfer the drivers. Any help would be great

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
MB: Intel Schroeder Town G33 Chipset
RAM: 2x1GB Sticks
HDD: WD 500 GB
GPU: upgraded to Radeon HD 4890
This is where you can find more in depth computer specs:

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/s/PC/R/1014737R/101473...

More about : finding drivers

Best solution

July 30, 2013 8:30:12 PM

jshoop said:
My windows vista operating system recently crashed and i downloaded Windows XP Home SP2. Because it doesn't come with the drivers my computer needs, i had to download XP from an older system. I have been searching for drivers to download so i can use the new computer, but its harder than i thought. I have a Gateway GT5628, the specs are at the bottom. Also, i'm having trouble connecting to the internet with a Netgear 3100 wireless adapter, so i have a flash drive that can be used to transfer the drivers. Any help would be great

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
MB: Intel Schroeder Town G33 Chipset
RAM: 2x1GB Sticks
HDD: WD 500 GB
GPU: upgraded to Radeon HD 4890
This is where you can find more in depth computer specs:

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/s/PC/R/1014737R/101473...


goto this page

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?p...

choose your operating system , and down load all drivers BUT dont download VGA

goto this link for VGA drivers :

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pa...

have a nice day
Share
Related resources
July 30, 2013 8:58:35 PM

Thanks both of you. I tried the AMD driver earlier, but when i tried to download it onto the hard drive it couldn't detect the GPU because it isn't in the computer. Then it wouldn't finish the installing. But if i tried to go onto the other computer to detect it the computer display images on the moniter because the driver isn't there. Are there any ways to get through that?
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 9:01:14 PM

jshoop said:
Thanks both of you. I tried the AMD driver earlier, but when i tried to download it onto the hard drive it couldn't detect the GPU because it isn't in the computer. Then it wouldn't finish the installing. But if i tried to go onto the other computer to detect it the computer display images on the moniter because the driver isn't there. Are there any ways to get through that?


...

you cant install a driver with hardware missing :) 
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 10:04:06 PM

SNA3 said:


...

you cant install a driver with hardware missing :) 


so should i install the GPU into the older computer and keep the moniter plugged into the onboard graphics of the motherboard during the installation?

m
0
l
July 30, 2013 10:08:03 PM

jshoop said:
SNA3 said:


...

you cant install a driver with hardware missing :) 


so should i install the GPU into the older computer and keep the moniter plugged into the onboard graphics of the motherboard during the installation?



If you want to install a Specific driver , its hardware should be PRESENT and connected . so you make your choices :) 
m
0
l
July 30, 2013 10:32:24 PM

If you plug in your monitor to the GPU before the drivers are installed, it will work, but at a lower resolution (800x600 usually) until you install your drivers.
m
0
l
July 31, 2013 3:38:50 PM

I installed the Netgear wireless thing and when i try to type in the password it says "The WEP Key must be between 5 or 13 ASCII characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal digit and must match the WEP Key use on your wireless network." I copied the driver from a different computer where it works and i get the same message. The adapter and genie both work, and have been used on multiple other computers. The wireless network is also in range. Any ideas on what's wrong?
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 9:10:32 AM

I installed all the drivers, but the computer stops at the motherboard and BIOS screen. When i have the hard drive in, i can't access BIOS, but the hard drive works in a different computer fine. I got all of the drivers installed, the graphics card works, would this be a motherboard issue?
m
0
l
!