Solved

Lenovo G505s overheating problems

Hello Everyone!

This is my first time here, I recently bought a Lenovo G505s with an A10 2.5 GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM and 2.5GB of graphics (ATi 8650G + 8570M Dual Graphics). I am facing two problems.

1. After about 30-45 minutes of gaming, the laptop gets really hot and just shuts off to prevent the internal components from melting. I wanted to know if there is anyway to increase the fan speed as it doesn't seem to increase on its own when the GPU heats up?

2. When I check the temperatures of the laptop when on idle, the processor's temperature keeps fluctuating from anywhere between 81C to 92C. This isn't normal right? Also is HWMonitor a reliable temperature monitor?

Here's a screen shot when it is idling:


Thanks.
27 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about lenovo g505s overheating problems
  1. Best answer
    antiglobal said:
    You should use a laptop stand.

    That's not going to fix it.

    Unfortunately there is no software that controls the fans other than what the manufacturer provides (if anything). Laptop fans have a 'fan profile' programmed into the system board, so third party applications tend to not work with laptop fans.

    Your temps are WAY too high for idle; it sounds like there may be a problem with the heat sink(s) or heat pipe(s). If this is under warranty, it should go back. The only time negligence warrants those temps is when lots of dust, hair, etc. clogs the fans and heat sinks badly, and/or the laptop is placed on something that does not allow it to dissipate heat properly (like a bed comforter).

    And yes: HWiNFO is a good utility for monitoring. :)
  2. Thanks. Yeah I have bought a cooling pad for my laptop & the temperature readings are high on HWMonitor but the laptop is really cold. I have called the Lenovo guys anyway to get it sorted.
  3. Hmm, if it feels cool it could be a faulty thermal sensor reporting the wrong temps. Either way, that's something Lenovo should repair for you - no sense in taking any risks. :)

    I hope they take good care of you!
  4. The guy came today & applied a heat sink paste, seems to have worked. He said that the processor's readings are just off and it's nothing to worry about. Another thing bugging me now is that the battery's ware level has jumped to 10%! He said that Lenovo will replace it if it goes any lower.

    Thanks :)
  5. antiglobal said:
    Prostar Computer said:
    battery calibration


    No such thing. The only thing that would, maybe, need calibration is the battery management electronics. The way to do that is to complete discharge the battery (untill the laptop shuts down) and than completly charge it (to 100%).



    Modern laptop batteries have an integrated capacity gauge. :)
  6. Thanks for the help guys. :) I'll try discharging the battery completely & then charge it to a 100% & see if that helps.
  7. It worked! I drained the battery out completely and charged it to 100%. The battery ware shows 0% and it has returned to its original capacity. Thanks a lot guys! :)
  8. Good to hear!
  9. Hey guys, I have noticed that the laptop lags while playing games when plugged in. But when I play the same games on battery, they run just fine. Anyone faced this problem before? How do I stop this from happening?
  10. It should be the other way around; check your power options in Windows and set everything to 'Performance' (same goes for your options in your video card's control panel).
  11. Ok, all my power settings are set for performance, but it still lags. The power setting is even set to High Performance. :( I've been looking this up online and a lot of people have been facing this problem.
  12. Could be high time to get in touch with Lenovo support about it. It could be a software bug, but this would be the first time I've run into it (seems like an oxymoron for it to lag with the adapter).
  13. Amitav Haldipur said:
    Ok, all my power settings are set for performance, but it still lags. The power setting is even set to High Performance. :( I've been looking this up online and a lot of people have been facing this problem.



    I to have the g505s after hours on the phone with lenovo and remote desktop they are baffled. I have the same issue you do with the charger. when plugged in it is reducing its power to 900mhzper core. all energy management software says its at 100%. I believe this to be a hardware issue. but i do not know. please help.
  14. I know this is an old thread but i hope this information can help others that had the same problem. There are not many discussions of this on the web.

    The throttling of the CPU when plugged in appears to be a common problem. It has to do with a problem with the power management and might be a problem with the bios that lenovo came up with. The cpu clock fluctuates while plugged in and battery is below 90-95%. when you unplug it behaves normally. open up the task manager and check the cpu clock speed and see how it is behaving.

    I came across another thread plus the below review :

    " We only ascertained a low score of 0.49 (single) and 1.27 points (multi-threading) in Cinebench R11.5, which did not improve even after several runs and trying different energy-saving modes. Extreme clock fluctuations are responsible for this low performance. Single cores repeatedly nosedive to an idle level of 900 MHz while the maximum possible 3.5 GHz is practically never reached. That essentially makes the A10-5750M even slower than a low-end CPU, such as the Celeron 1017U and only marginally beats the weaker A6-5350M.

    We encountered an anomaly as we searched for this behavior's reason. The described problems abruptly disappeared in battery mode and the performance climbed to the expected level (Cinebench R11.5: 0.88/2.04 points). We presume that it is only a software bug that will hopefully be resolved with a BIOS update."
  15. phingerbang said:
    The throttling of the CPU when plugged in appears to be a common problem. It has to do with a problem with the power management...


    I've been seeing this come up with Asus from time to time as well. This may very well be related to the current Intel chipset stepping and any struggles on the OEMs part.

    Thanks for the follow up. :)
  16. Amitav Haldipur said:
    Thanks. Yeah I have bought a cooling pad for my laptop & the temperature readings are high on HWMonitor but the laptop is really cold. I have called the Lenovo guys anyway to get it sorted.


    Which cooling pad are you using and what did the lenovo guys are saying about heating up i recently bought the same laptop and heating problem is there.
  17. Amitav Haldipur said:
    The guy came today & applied a heat sink paste, seems to have worked. He said that the processor's readings are just off and it's nothing to worry about. Another thing bugging me now is that the battery's ware level has jumped to 10%! He said that Lenovo will replace it if it goes any lower.

    Thanks :)


    Please do tell me where Heat sink paste is applied, cuz i have the same problem.. I am not able to play games longer...
  18. Thermal compound is applied directly to the CPU, on the silver, rectangular plate: http://thinkit.ru/images/blog/usersdata/8/noute_CPU/zamena-cpu-notebook10.jpg

    Be sure to put a thin line across it. You don't need an exorbitant amount of paste!
  19. Prostar Computer said:
    Thermal compound is applied directly to the CPU, on the silver, rectangular plate: http://thinkit.ru/images/blog/usersdata/8/noute_CPU/zamena-cpu-notebook10.jpg

    Be sure to put a thin line across it. You don't need an exorbitant amount of paste!


    I'am done with that bro, but when plugged in i get a lag in game..
  20. Then either:
    A. The problem is not thermal related, or
    B. The paste was not applied correctly (not enough or too much), or the heat sink was not put back into placed properly.
  21. Prostar Computer said:
    Then either:
    A. The problem is not thermal related, or
    B. The paste was not applied correctly (not enough or too much), or the heat sink was not put back into placed properly.


    Its all right when running on battery, but when plugged in its lags..
  22. first of all must update VGA driver , then try go to control panel power option < change advanced power settings < processor power management < set maximum power state to 90 to pretend overheating , and also use energy management dust removal to cool the system when you feel it becoming hot , but after updating my windows to 8.1 build 9600 and drivers , the heating problem was disappeared , only when gaming it get bit higher ... wish this could help
  23. ali ibr said:
    first of all must update VGA driver , then try go to control panel power option < change advanced power settings < processor power management < set maximum power state to 90 to pretend overheating , and also use energy management dust removal to cool the system when you feel it becoming hot , but after updating my windows to 8.1 build 9600 and drivers , the heating problem was disappeared , only when gaming it get bit higher ... wish this could help


    So i will install Windows 8.1??
  24. Hello guys solution for CPU throttling on this laptop is here:
    http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?DocID=HT080664
  25. You could try this, I have the same laptop, and have the same problem. Fixed Now:

    Go to The Lenovo Support Website and there is a BIOS software update. It covers problems like overheating and CPU problems like lagging when plugged in for A10 and A8 AMD processors.:

    http://mobilesupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/lenovo-g-series-laptops/lenovo-g505s-notebook/downloads/DS038577

    Download the .exe file and Extract it. (To extract there may be a password but it is next to the download link on the page once you have clicked on BIOS). Instructions are on the Page

    Hope I have Helped
  26. Updating the BIOS is very likely to resolve the CPU throttling, but overheating is the result of any number of factors which don't have anything to do with the firmware.
  27. Just update ur bios to 3.2 Or something it helps
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Lenovo Processors AMD