Closed Solved

Need help deciding Coolant for a water cooler?

Sorry I have looked over the forum several times but I do not know what kind of coolant to add to my bigwater 760 plus. I got it as kinda a used gift and it has some coolant left in it. But I have read that distiled water and biocide works too... Should I empty it out and add distilled or keep the amout in and add more, mix and match, or what. Also It has a aluminum radiator if that changes anything... specs are right here
http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001791
Btw will any-other coolant work?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about deciding coolant water cooler
  1. I think you should used distilled water. Best, most affordable solution.
  2. Hi

    I'm in the UK and we have trouble getting distilled water cheaply. I use deionized water from my local car spares shop. Deionized is not the same as distilled - it has minerals removed only. I then use a biocide based on Benzalkonium Chloride to prevent algae. I don't use any dyes etc as these can clog radiators - keep it simple. This works fine for me. Other biocides based on Copper Sulphate are fine.

    However I notice your radiator is all aluminium. This is a big no-no - you should avoid mixing copper/brass etc with aluminium as it causes galvanic corrosion. Unless your radiator is coated with a different metal you will also need a corrosion inhibitor to prevent this happening.

    Hope this helps

    Mag
  3. will car antifreeze work?
    Or what would you suggest doing?
    or any household or easily bought supplys?
    Also should I drain the old coolant out?
  4. MagR said:
    Hi

    I'm in the UK and we have trouble getting distilled water cheaply. I use deionized water from my local car spares shop. Deionized is not the same as distilled - it has minerals removed only. I then use a biocide based on Benzalkonium Chloride to prevent algae. I don't use any dyes etc as these can clog radiators - keep it simple. This works fine for me. Other biocides based on Copper Sulphate are fine.

    However I notice your radiator is all aluminium. This is a big no-no - you should avoid mixing copper/brass etc with aluminium as it causes galvanic corrosion. Unless your radiator is coated with a different metal you will also need a corrosion inhibitor to prevent this happening.

    Hope this helps

    Mag

    What do you suggest?
    Because I can't use just distilled water right?
  5. car antifreeze in as little as 10% solution (not advised to exceed more than 30%) mixed with distilled or deionized water will work fine. You can also purchase coolants that are specified as a corrosion inhibitor and contain ethylene glycol

    This is what was likely in there when you got it and available in uk stores: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermaltake-cl-w0044-uv-sensitive-coolant-500ml
  6. Yu_Jin_X5 said:
    MagR said:
    Hi

    I'm in the UK and we have trouble getting distilled water cheaply. I use deionized water from my local car spares shop. Deionized is not the same as distilled - it has minerals removed only. I then use a biocide based on Benzalkonium Chloride to prevent algae. I don't use any dyes etc as these can clog radiators - keep it simple. This works fine for me. Other biocides based on Copper Sulphate are fine.

    However I notice your radiator is all aluminium. This is a big no-no - you should avoid mixing copper/brass etc with aluminium as it causes galvanic corrosion. Unless your radiator is coated with a different metal you will also need a corrosion inhibitor to prevent this happening.

    Hope this helps

    Mag

    What do you suggest?
    Because I can't use just distilled water right?


    Fom what I've read you use glycol mixed in with the water. I think this is what they use as a corrosion inhibitor in car radiators. I've never needed to use it so can't tell you how much to use. I suggest you contact the manufacturer of your cooler and find out if the aluminium is coated because they must know about galvanic corrosion - the Statue of Liberty suffers from it even! Or if not ask them what inhibitor they recommend and in what proportions.

    Regards

    Mag
  7. mag.... read my above answer... everything you said is already contained in there - not sure why you are pointing to things that are alredy addressed....

    coating internal of a rad?...a)no one does this b) negates the purpose of a rad by providing barrier to metal conatct for thermal xfer.


    ......*facepalm*
  8. Best answer
    Thermaltake Bigwater kits aren't really the best options out there, but since you already have it, I'd recommend the glycol mixture route. Just FYI, give the watercooling sticky a good, thorough reading to help you get acquainted with a lot of the ins and outs of the hobby. One of the biggest no-no's we try to avoid is mixing anything with aluminum into the loop.
  9. It was a gift and now that i have it i may as well use it... looked up price and it is like 300 bucks so it looks pretty good...
  10. Buzz247 said:
    mag.... read my above answer... everything you said is already contained in there - not sure why you are pointing to things that are alredy addressed....

    coating internal of a rad?...a)no one does this b) negates the purpose of a rad by providing barrier to metal conatct for thermal xfer.


    ......*facepalm*


    Sorry I didn't see your answer.
  11. Was looking for advice on mixing water with the Thermaltake UV coolant, and found this thread. I have a thermaltake bigwater kit in a desktop for 9 years now. I recently took it all out of the case and flushed it, replaced the clear tubing, and reassembled the whole thing. Still works very well, and have never had a leak, just the normal fill up every few months. Sometimes it goes almost a year, dependiing on use. I recently ran out of the factory coolant (stuff is not cheap) so I mixed a little distilled water in it (a few ounces), and ordered more.
    My system has aluminum radiator, aluminum VGA block, and Brass CPU block, and what I think is plated steel fittings. I understand the concerns about dis-similar metals and galvanic corrosion. But I have not had any issues with this system. My newly built desktop will get a large air cooler, just because of the annoyance of maintaining a water based system. To each his own. I know this an old thread but I just wanted to help the overall understanding.
Ask a new question

Read More

Overclocking Cooling