highc1157

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Hi all,

I'm about to order:

Arctic Silver 5 paste - $8
G.skill Ripjaw 8GB (2x4GB) - $62
AMD FX-6300 - $110
TOTAL = 180 on newegg, I get $10 off on the RAM and $10 off on CPU w/ newegg's deal good till 8/1, so I gotta order fast!

need mobo also, < $100 that can OC into 4.2-4.5 GHz no problem, preferably w/ 8+2 power phase and cooled vrm's and 125W TDP (ideally? dunno, what I hear to get from all over the interweb)

also, if I OC my 6300 into mid 4Ghz range , will my PSU still be fine? Keep in mind I also OC'd my GTX 760

=====================================================

my current rig is:

- Phenom 965 BE OC'd to 3.8 GHz (multiplier only)

- Gigabyte GA-MA790x-UD4P am2+

- 4x1GB G.Skill DDR2 RAM

- Gigabyte gtx 760 OC Windforce (OC'd on top of factory OC)

- Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU

-WD 150 GB HD

-Corsair H60 CPU cooler

Solution
For overclocking, this is the least you should get.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $89.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-01 06:33 EDT-0400)

Also if you can spend like just 15-20 dollars more then get this board instead. It is somewhat better for your overclocking needs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $119.99...
For overclocking, this is the least you should get.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $89.99
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-01 06:33 EDT-0400)

Also if you can spend like just 15-20 dollars more then get this board instead. It is somewhat better for your overclocking needs.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $119.99
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-01 06:34 EDT-0400)

I hope this helps. :)

Solution

highc1157

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

Thanks for the detailed reply :). Any other opinions?

ASRock makes incredible budget motherboards. The "Extreme" line is high quality and very good at overclocking. I'd get the ASRock 970 Extreme 3 or 4.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970extreme3r20

With this mobo and a H60 you should be able to reach 4.4GHz. And do so stable and quietly.

Your PSU is 650W, so it's enough. Also, the Gigabyte 760 requires a 6 and 8 pin power connector. Luckily, your PSU has those. So, you are good to go.

+1

edit: I fergit ...

I'd move your PhII 965BE into it, and see how it runs.

The FX6300 is a great CPU, but it's only going to get less expensive (until it goes completely away, that is!). A new AM3+ motherboard using the MSRPhenomTweaker utility should clock the PhII 965BE like a dream ...

You probably got caught in the marketing language. Most mobos at the $100 (AMD) price are gonna overclock the same. And if they advertise a better power phase it is not true. There is advertising language and real language. The ASRock that I mentioned is solid.

Isn't more phase better? I mean would not it help in better voltage regulation? I am just clearing my doubts (if there are any). Can you please tell me that?

I know that the Overclocking ability also depends on the quality of the VRM, but wouldn't the 8+2 phase VRM perform better. I am just asking because I am not sure about that. It might help me clear some of my doubts.

I'm linking you to a respected post that helps determine the quality of a motherboard. You can't just look at advertised specs, you need to look at engineer language and parts. The big thing I want you to see is that some mobos are advertised as 8+2 but they are really 4+2. And then you need to compare other factors. Check out this link and read about it:
http://www.sinhardware.com/images/vrmlist.png

Also, think this..many mobos are just a Z77 converted to a Z87. So, trends you see in Z77 could carry over. Although mobos have changed alot for Haswell.

Thanks for the info. I would save that to my bookmarks. It might help.

But so far in that chart. I can see that Gigabyte boards have exactly the same no of phases as advertized. So there are good chances of the Gigabyte UD3 board having 8+2 Phase VRM. I mean in everything they have exactly the same no of true phases as advertized.

Anyways thanks for the Info. It really helped.

Also can you suggest me a site where I can get detailed specs about the Motherboard including the no. of phases and everything else. The official sites do not always tell the no. of phases. So far only Asrock tells the no. of phases on most of the motherboard's official pages.

Is there any site which can show all the specs. Something like how GSMArena is for mobiles. You know what I mean..

highc1157

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Upgrading to a am3+ mobo under 100 dollars, how would that be an upgrade for Overclocking with my current mobo? I can't get 4.2 stable on my current mobo, think I can with a new one? It'd save me a to of cash to hang with my phenom 965 for now, and just upgrade mobo and ram, maybe I can get a new hdd too since I only have 150gb

highc1157

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010

which one is good?

With AMD, it's not really 8+2 .... it's more like (4+1) X2. The *double-phase* seems to deliver more stable, clean power -- not that 4+1 boards are all that shabby (though they do tend to over-volt a bit more).

That said, that Asus M5A97 (not LE model) works well with a great many RAMs with stable power and a good BIOS for tweaking.

The Gigabyte GA-970A -UD3 is a great board, too .... but, it is more finicky with RAMs and earlier versions had no LLC.

Same with the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. There is a mod over at XS (if you have a soldering iron :) ) that involves installing a resistor to help hold down the volts at high loads/voltages.

This is marketing hype . I have run my Asrock extreme4 and FX 6300 to 4.8 GHz with no issues using only AMD's automated overclocking . The fan was a little noisy for what is essentially a quiet build so its currently at 4.2 GHz and is pretty close to silent using a Scythe Ninja cpu cooler .

VRM phases make a tiny difference at best , and even then it would only be at extreme overclocks

The Asus board I mentioned before remains the #1 choice for a single graphics card set up