Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Better CPU than i7 3930k for Handbrake

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 1, 2013 7:52:34 PM

So I am about to build a PC rig ment to run handbrake and rip Blu-ray Discs. I will more than likely go with the i7 3930k. But I NEED TO KNOW are there any other possibly CPU options out there. Besides the i7 3960x and the i7 3970x. I have already seen those. So besides the three CPUs I just listed. Is there a better CPU or Multi CPU combination that will beat the i7 3930k, 3960x and 3970x. I can't seem to get a straight answer. Everyone says "yup you should be fine with the 3930k, good choice". Quite frankly. I don't think the 3930k is going to be good enough for my standards. I would like to rip and encode a Blu-ray Disc down to 3-4 GB, 4-5k bitrate and 1080p with Handbrake. I don't want to have to wait 1 day, 12 hours or even 6 Hours. I want to be able to rip the disc in about 2-3 Hours or less. I realize that what I want may be unrealistic because I don't want to spend over $2000 on this build, but that is beside the point. I just want to know options. If there is a CPU or multi CPU combination out there, even if it cost like a million dollars I would like to know about it please.

Also if anyone wants to share there experiences and encodes times for handbrake with there processor please share.

Also if anyone has any hints or tips that could help me get my handbrake encode times down, also share that please and thank you.

I am just looking for information and knowledge and hopefull a solution for my needs.

More about : cpu 3930k handbrake

a b à CPUs
August 1, 2013 8:17:29 PM

khorn06 said:
So I am about to build a PC rig ment to run handbrake and rip Blu-ray Discs. I will more than likely go with the i7 3930k. But I NEED TO KNOW are there any other possibly CPU options out there. Besides the i7 3960x and the i7 3970x. I have already seen those. So besides the three CPUs I just listed. Is there a better CPU or Multi CPU combination that will beat the i7 3930k, 3960x and 3970x. I can't seem to get a straight answer. Everyone says "yup you should be fine with the 3930k, good choice". Quite frankly. I don't think the 3930k is going to be good enough for my standards. I would like to rip and encode a Blu-ray Disc down to 3-4 GB, 4-5k bitrate and 1080p with Handbrake. I don't want to have to wait 1 day, 12 hours or even 6 Hours. I want to be able to rip the disc in about 2-3 Hours or less. I realize that what I want may be unrealistic because I don't want to spend over $2000 on this build, but that is beside the point. I just want to know options. If there is a CPU or multi CPU combination out there, even if it cost like a million dollars I would like to know about it please.

Also if anyone wants to share there experiences and encodes times for handbrake with there processor please share.

Also if anyone has any hints or tips that could help me get my handbrake encode times down, also share that please and thank you.

I am just looking for information and knowledge and hopefull a solution for my needs.


Very nice sir:) 
m
0
l

Best solution

August 1, 2013 8:40:31 PM

khorn06 said:
So I am about to build a PC rig ment to run handbrake and rip Blu-ray Discs. I will more than likely go with the i7 3930k. But I NEED TO KNOW are there any other possibly CPU options out there. Besides the i7 3960x and the i7 3970x. I have already seen those. So besides the three CPUs I just listed. Is there a better CPU or Multi CPU combination that will beat the i7 3930k, 3960x and 3970x. I can't seem to get a straight answer. Everyone says "yup you should be fine with the 3930k, good choice". Quite frankly. I don't think the 3930k is going to be good enough for my standards. I would like to rip and encode a Blu-ray Disc down to 3-4 GB, 4-5k bitrate and 1080p with Handbrake. I don't want to have to wait 1 day, 12 hours or even 6 Hours. I want to be able to rip the disc in about 2-3 Hours or less. I realize that what I want may be unrealistic because I don't want to spend over $2000 on this build, but that is beside the point. I just want to know options. If there is a CPU or multi CPU combination out there, even if it cost like a million dollars I would like to know about it please.

Also if anyone wants to share there experiences and encodes times for handbrake with there processor please share.

Also if anyone has any hints or tips that could help me get my handbrake encode times down, also share that please and thank you.

I am just looking for information and knowledge and hopefull a solution for my needs.




2x xeon e5 2687w processors, w/ asus z9pe-d16 motherboard.

Total cost: >4,000$.

But it's significantly faster than i7. :) 
Share
Related resources
August 2, 2013 5:56:56 AM

hafijur said:
ElMoIsEviL said:
Sure

Buy two of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Opteron-6272-16-Core-OS6272...
And one of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Kgpe-d16-Server-Motherboar...

Fill her up with at least 16GB of RAM (8GB per CPU) and you've got yourself a fine rendering rig on the relatively cheap.


That cpu is quite a bit slower then an i7 2600k or 3770k or 4770k so its not relatively cheap.

To the op the 3930k is more then enough even after ocing it you will get even more faster. The 4770k will do what you want it to do in that time most likely. What current system do you have.


Before I was using the MacBook Pro and had the i7 3820QM, but I sold that to get a desktop. And you say more than enough, but are you sure. I'm a very picky person when it comes to my movies so ill be wanting the absolute best quality at the absolute lowest file size. To get what I wanted with the 3820QM it took about half a day to encode a standard DVD disc.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2013 9:12:30 AM

hafijur said:
ElMoIsEviL said:
Sure

Buy two of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Opteron-6272-16-Core-OS6272...
And one of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Kgpe-d16-Server-Motherboar...

Fill her up with at least 16GB of RAM (8GB per CPU) and you've got yourself a fine rendering rig on the relatively cheap.


That cpu is quite a bit slower then an i7 2600k or 3770k or 4770k so its not relatively cheap.

To the op the 3930k is more then enough even after ocing it you will get even more faster. The 4770k will do what you want it to do in that time most likely. What current system do you have.


A single AMD Opteron 6272 is on par with a single Xeon X5650. Xeon X5650 is based on the Core i7 1st series (think Nehalem architecture).

The Core i7 3930K is built on the 2nd generation Core i7 architecture namely Sandybridge. Last I checked Sandybridge was not twice as fast as Nehalem. So how exactly is a single Intel Core i7 3930K faster than a Dual Opteron 6272?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2013 11:32:07 AM

hafijur said:
I didn't see you put to buy two of them. Anyway for that price it makes sense to buy an intel i7 4770k and besides opteron will run worse on more apps then a mainstream consumer line cpu. Besides it will be hard to get applications that run with those 2 cpus together. Also the opteron 6234 is one of the worst performance per $ or £ cpu there is.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Opteron+623...

If anything the op wants a better cpu then the 3930k he should get the 4930k and get efficient computing that should be out next month.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130731234327...


As a 3930K owner I would have to disagree. Also important to note that the OP stated:
Quote:
So I am about to build a PC rig ment to run handbrake and rip Blu-ray Discs[


I don't see a mention, in his post, of wanting to play video games on this rig. He could certainly play games but most of the cores would be idling. Any applications meant for Video/Audio encoding/transcoding would perform spectacularly. As for the 4930K, it will still be slower then the Dual Opteron when encoding Bluray movies.

Another thing worth noting is that I have a Dual Xeon rig at home. I have a Supermicro Dual Xeon motherboard (albeit socket 771) and it works with Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate/Server/Linux (Ubuntu) etc. It works with all of my apps. It goes without saying that I don't game on this machine (but I could).
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2013 8:07:44 PM

hafijur said:
ElMoIsEviL said:
hafijur said:
I didn't see you put to buy two of them. Anyway for that price it makes sense to buy an intel i7 4770k and besides opteron will run worse on more apps then a mainstream consumer line cpu. Besides it will be hard to get applications that run with those 2 cpus together. Also the opteron 6234 is one of the worst performance per $ or £ cpu there is.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Opteron+623...

If anything the op wants a better cpu then the 3930k he should get the 4930k and get efficient computing that should be out next month.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20130731234327...


As a 3930K owner I would have to disagree. Also important to note that the OP stated:
Quote:
So I am about to build a PC rig ment to run handbrake and rip Blu-ray Discs[


I don't see a mention, in his post, of wanting to play video games on this rig. He could certainly play games but most of the cores would be idling. Any applications meant for Video/Audio encoding/transcoding would perform spectacularly. As for the 4930K, it will still be slower then the Dual Opteron when encoding Bluray movies.

Another thing worth noting is that I have a Dual Xeon rig at home. I have a Supermicro Dual Xeon motherboard (albeit socket 771) and it works with Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate/Server/Linux (Ubuntu) etc. It works with all of my apps. It goes without saying that I don't game on this machine (but I could).


I didn't mention games and secondly the i7 4930k will obiterate the dual opteron at encoding with ssd and using all the cpu power on handbrake.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php look on bottom of here for amd dual cpu config.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJytdVS9jY 30860 for cinebenchr10 score on a 3930k
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/03/31/amd-op... amd cpu score on cinebenchr10 and these cpus are like 10% slower then the cpu you have so a stock i7 3930k will still beat the dual opteron easily. Once the i7 3930k is oc it would easily destroy it. You should get your facts right first. Yes the amd cpu is faster on cinebench r11.5.

The only cpu for the op to wait for is the ivy bridge e cpu that is coming but theres nothing comparable from a competitor for an i7 3930k and the other 6 core extreme sandy bridge x cpus.

I think people defend amd to the core when there cpus are nowhere near intel in the top end market and some reason they make it sound like they are close. You only have to look at the state of affairs in the mobile market to understand amd are the furthest they have ever been behind intel in middle-higher end cpus. You can say I am amd bashing but for the op intel are the only option for the fastest and most efficient solution for handbrake. Intel cpus are actually quite cheap as you get premium performance and design for not much more then an amd cpu, in the fx9590 case the i7 core extreme cpus are a steal.

If you look at it as a business standpoint intel cpus are great value for cutting edge technology, amd are trying to get as much as they can for slap dash cpus cough cough bulldozer and then piledriver.
/rant

The OP wanted people to think outside the box. To suggest anything. This is what I am doing.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2013 9:25:41 PM

SSD's help with boot times and program load up times (Photoshop, Microsoft Office, ect.). Hard drive speed doesn't bottleneck performance in most areas, and certainly not encoding. Of all the suggestions, Elmo's is best.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 4, 2013 11:18:34 AM

Encoding with my system, I've noticed there isn't too much of a difference of speed between my HDD and SSD. Encoding is primarily CPU dependent, so that is what you should spend your money on. Unless you've been in these situations, you wouldn't know.
m
0
l
August 10, 2013 10:43:30 PM

The OP wants to encode blu-ray movies fast and cares little about cost, eh? AFTER ripping with DVDFab, my i7 2600k (O'Cd to 4.4Ghz) would recode a typical two hour movie title with BD_Rebuilder in about 2.70 hours. My Phenom II x4 980 BE (O'Cd to 4.2 Ghz) takes about 3.6 hours. For now those times are acceptable as I can set BD_Rebuilder to shut off when the recode is done and my movie will be ready for me to burn when I wake up in the morning. I would imagine the SB-E 3930 would be more than sufficient for the job. As I've grown older I've learned to value a dollar a helluva lot more and since I'm not running a recode factory, I'm happy enough knowing I can burn any of these recodes to a DVD and not even need a Blu-ray player to play 'em back. Besides, I too am growing picky as to which BR movies are worth adding to my collection as back-ups.

The hexacore solutions are especially handy during the encode's second pass at which point the quad cores (all of them) run out of gas and slow down. That's where you'll save the time. I realize you have high standards for these projects but as of yet there is no slam dunk "toaster" option that cuts the time WAY down so that it'll be done by the time you've eaten a ham sandwich.

Best wishes on your new build...!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2013 1:08:36 AM

ElMoIsEviL said:
Sure

Buy two of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-Opteron-6272-16-Core-OS6272...
And one of these... http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-Kgpe-d16-Server-Motherboar...

Fill her up with at least 16GB of RAM (8GB per CPU) and you've got yourself a fine rendering rig on the relatively cheap.



For encoding that would be one beast of a rig. 32 CORES!!!

I like hafijur's fuzzy-logic-Intel-math where a 4 core i7 can beat 32 cores Bulldozer in an application designed for parallel processing. Lolz!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2013 7:28:21 AM

Two Xeon E5-2687W would kick just about anything's ass, but yes 16 core Opterons are badass too and will beat just about anything in the price range. Opterons are a great value, as are some Xeons.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2013 1:27:34 PM

montosaurous said:
Two Xeon E5-2687W would kick just about anything's ass, but yes 16 core Opterons are badass too and will beat just about anything in the price range. Opterons are a great value, as are some Xeons.


Indeed they would, but at $1885 a pop that's costly.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
August 18, 2013 6:08:19 AM

khorn06 said:
I would like to rip and encode a Blu-ray Disc down to 3-4 GB, 4-5k bitrate and 1080p with Handbrake. I don't want to have to wait 1 day, 12 hours or even 6 Hours. I want to be able to rip the disc in about 2-3 Hours or less.

Also if anyone wants to share there experiences and encodes times for handbrake with there processor please share.

Also if anyone has any hints or tips that could help me get my handbrake encode times down, also share that please and thank you.



Either of those hex cores will meet your expectations. With my FX-8320 @ 4ghz I can encode a Blu-Ray @1080p in anywhere from 50 mins to 2 hrs dependent on the quality settings. I have 3 high to low presets for BR. The highest setting creates a relatively large file ~9-10GB, but is near flawless quality.

The 39xxk's are faster than my FX so your encoding times should/will be superior.
m
0
l
October 28, 2013 11:01:27 PM

bjaminnyc said:
khorn06 said:
I would like to rip and encode a Blu-ray Disc down to 3-4 GB, 4-5k bitrate and 1080p with Handbrake. I don't want to have to wait 1 day, 12 hours or even 6 Hours. I want to be able to rip the disc in about 2-3 Hours or less.

Also if anyone wants to share there experiences and encodes times for handbrake with there processor please share.

Also if anyone has any hints or tips that could help me get my handbrake encode times down, also share that please and thank you.



Either of those hex cores will meet your expectations. With my FX-8320 @ 4ghz I can encode a Blu-Ray @1080p in anywhere from 50 mins to 2 hrs dependent on the quality settings. I have 3 high to low presets for BR. The highest setting creates a relatively large file ~9-10GB, but is near flawless quality.

The 39xxk's are faster than my FX so your encoding times should/will be superior.



Would you mind sharing other specs on this rig and your Handbrake settings? RAM, HD's, etc.?

My current rigs, all of which are 3+ years old (or more) at this stage give me encode times of around 4 hrs for my BR discs. My best rig is a Quad core Q9550 with 8 GB RAM, and a 90 GB SSD primary drive. I'm using Handbrake 0.9.9 with the Apple 3 TV preset just slightly modified (22 for 'live' and 24 for animated movies on the video quality, with either AC3 passthru or AC3 ffmpeg down-mixed to 320 bit rate 5.1 for DTS soundtracks). I rip the discs (AnyDVD HD) to SATA 3 hard drives first, then mount them as virtual drives which I encode from.

This gives me a very good quality HD file ranging between 2.8 to 10 gigs (depending on material) with full surround. I project these files using my Apple TV 3 on a 150" screen and have yet to find any significant visual issues with the material and absolutely NO surround sound issues at all.

I've been thinking about upgrading, but only if I can get specs like you're suggesting (2 hour BR encodes). Right now, I don't mind the 4+ hour timeframes, but if I could get faster... ;) 

Thank you in advance!
m
0
l
November 5, 2013 2:15:36 PM

Anyone given a Proliant server a look? You can get a 4x xeon quad core dl585 g5 for ~$500 with drives and lots of RAM. DL380G6 2x xeon six core for $700 shipped.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
November 19, 2013 9:15:03 AM

pdbuzz said:
bjaminnyc said:
khorn06 said:
I would like to rip and encode a Blu-ray Disc down to 3-4 GB, 4-5k bitrate and 1080p with Handbrake. I don't want to have to wait 1 day, 12 hours or even 6 Hours. I want to be able to rip the disc in about 2-3 Hours or less.

Also if anyone wants to share there experiences and encodes times for handbrake with there processor please share.

Also if anyone has any hints or tips that could help me get my handbrake encode times down, also share that please and thank you.



Either of those hex cores will meet your expectations. With my FX-8320 @ 4ghz I can encode a Blu-Ray @1080p in anywhere from 50 mins to 2 hrs dependent on the quality settings. I have 3 high to low presets for BR. The highest setting creates a relatively large file ~9-10GB, but is near flawless quality.

The 39xxk's are faster than my FX so your encoding times should/will be superior.



Would you mind sharing other specs on this rig and your Handbrake settings? RAM, HD's, etc.?

My current rigs, all of which are 3+ years old (or more) at this stage give me encode times of around 4 hrs for my BR discs. My best rig is a Quad core Q9550 with 8 GB RAM, and a 90 GB SSD primary drive. I'm using Handbrake 0.9.9 with the Apple 3 TV preset just slightly modified (22 for 'live' and 24 for animated movies on the video quality, with either AC3 passthru or AC3 ffmpeg down-mixed to 320 bit rate 5.1 for DTS soundtracks). I rip the discs (AnyDVD HD) to SATA 3 hard drives first, then mount them as virtual drives which I encode from.

This gives me a very good quality HD file ranging between 2.8 to 10 gigs (depending on material) with full surround. I project these files using my Apple TV 3 on a 150" screen and have yet to find any significant visual issues with the material and absolutely NO surround sound issues at all.

I've been thinking about upgrading, but only if I can get specs like you're suggesting (2 hour BR encodes). Right now, I don't mind the 4+ hour timeframes, but if I could get faster... ;) 

Thank you in advance!


My total rig 8320 @4 h100i, 16gb 1600 ram, 2x SSD's, 3x Platters, HD6950.

As far as HB settings, the only differences between the 3 settings I use for BR are "RF/Constant Quality" 23-19 and I either down-mix the audio to DD II or strait pass through for DTS-HD or DD-True. I vary between standrad high and my 3 presets based on how much the visuals or audio mean to the particular movie's experience.
m
0
l
!