Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Buy new, or upgrade most of my current?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 2, 2013 8:31:23 AM

My computer is 3-4 years. I bought it pre-built and it isn't too good. Just over a year ago I bought a Radeon 6870 and better power supply (500w). The rest of the parts are from the original purchase and listed below:

HP Pavilion p6230y
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 810
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard - Foxconn Aloe, chipset vendor and model is AMD 785GSB700
Graphics - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 (upgrade from Radeon 4200)
Hard drive - 733GB Seagate ST3750528AS SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
PSU - Antec EarthWatts 500W (upgrade from 300w)
Monitor - Acer X203H

It overheats a lot judging by the noise it makes when doing some simple things, I'm guessing the manufacturer put the minimum cooling that would make it run. I've found this year my PC has been noticeably slower.

Because I feel like it's only going to last another 6 months, I'm starting to think about my next system. I cannot make my own. I figure I can either 1) buy the parts, pay someone to put it together for me, and possibly use some of my components worth saving (GPU not sure if anything else is good); or 2) buy a whole new system, and maybe see if I can sell any of my old parts or my old PC as a whole.

My budget is between $800-1000 Cdn dollars. Willing to go to $1100 if it means a very impressive bang for that 100.

Thoughts? If I'm missing anything please let me know :)  Thanks in advance to anyone that responds!

More about : buy upgrade current

a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2013 9:03:19 AM

vespir said:
My computer is 3-4 years. I bought it pre-built and it isn't too good. Just over a year ago I bought a Radeon 6870 and better power supply (500w). The rest of the parts are from the original purchase and listed below:

HP Pavilion p6230y
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 810
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard - Foxconn Aloe, chipset vendor and model is AMD 785GSB700
Graphics - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 (upgrade from Radeon 4200)
Hard drive - 733GB Seagate ST3750528AS SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
PSU - Antec EarthWatts 500W (upgrade from 300w)
Monitor - Acer X203H

It overheats a lot judging by the noise it makes when doing some simple things, I'm guessing the manufacturer put the minimum cooling that would make it run. I've found this year my PC has been noticeably slower.

Because I feel like it's only going to last another 6 months, I'm starting to think about my next system. I cannot make my own. I figure I can either 1) buy the parts, pay someone to put it together for me, and possibly use some of my components worth saving (GPU not sure if anything else is good); or 2) buy a whole new system, and maybe see if I can sell any of my old parts or my old PC as a whole.

My budget is between $800-1000 Cdn dollars. Willing to go to $1100 if it means a very impressive bang for that 100.

Thoughts? If I'm missing anything please let me know :)  Thanks in advance to anyone that responds!


Here is very impressive thing , you will use your old harddisk and dvd untill you can buy new ones

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.00 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($639.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.53 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1165.49
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-02 12:02 EDT-0400)
m
0
l
August 2, 2013 9:18:09 AM

SNA3 said:
vespir said:
My computer is 3-4 years. I bought it pre-built and it isn't too good. Just over a year ago I bought a Radeon 6870 and better power supply (500w). The rest of the parts are from the original purchase and listed below:

HP Pavilion p6230y
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 810
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard - Foxconn Aloe, chipset vendor and model is AMD 785GSB700
Graphics - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 (upgrade from Radeon 4200)
Hard drive - 733GB Seagate ST3750528AS SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
PSU - Antec EarthWatts 500W (upgrade from 300w)
Monitor - Acer X203H

It overheats a lot judging by the noise it makes when doing some simple things, I'm guessing the manufacturer put the minimum cooling that would make it run. I've found this year my PC has been noticeably slower.

Because I feel like it's only going to last another 6 months, I'm starting to think about my next system. I cannot make my own. I figure I can either 1) buy the parts, pay someone to put it together for me, and possibly use some of my components worth saving (GPU not sure if anything else is good); or 2) buy a whole new system, and maybe see if I can sell any of my old parts or my old PC as a whole.

My budget is between $800-1000 Cdn dollars. Willing to go to $1100 if it means a very impressive bang for that 100.

Thoughts? If I'm missing anything please let me know :)  Thanks in advance to anyone that responds!


Here is very impressive thing , you will use your old harddisk and dvd untill you can buy new ones

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.00 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($639.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.53 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1165.49
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-02 12:02 EDT-0400)


How much should I expect to pay someone to put this together? Is it still more affordable than a pre-built with that in mind? Do I have to buy cooling and any other extras?
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2013 9:23:09 AM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ NCIX)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Memory Express)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.00 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($409.99 @ NCIX)
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($30.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Total: $1093.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-02 12:23 EDT-0400)
Share
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2013 9:27:13 AM

vespir said:
SNA3 said:
vespir said:
My computer is 3-4 years. I bought it pre-built and it isn't too good. Just over a year ago I bought a Radeon 6870 and better power supply (500w). The rest of the parts are from the original purchase and listed below:

HP Pavilion p6230y
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 810
RAM - 8 GB DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard - Foxconn Aloe, chipset vendor and model is AMD 785GSB700
Graphics - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6870 (upgrade from Radeon 4200)
Hard drive - 733GB Seagate ST3750528AS SCSI Disk Device (RAID)
PSU - Antec EarthWatts 500W (upgrade from 300w)
Monitor - Acer X203H

It overheats a lot judging by the noise it makes when doing some simple things, I'm guessing the manufacturer put the minimum cooling that would make it run. I've found this year my PC has been noticeably slower.

Because I feel like it's only going to last another 6 months, I'm starting to think about my next system. I cannot make my own. I figure I can either 1) buy the parts, pay someone to put it together for me, and possibly use some of my components worth saving (GPU not sure if anything else is good); or 2) buy a whole new system, and maybe see if I can sell any of my old parts or my old PC as a whole.

My budget is between $800-1000 Cdn dollars. Willing to go to $1100 if it means a very impressive bang for that 100.

Thoughts? If I'm missing anything please let me know :)  Thanks in advance to anyone that responds!


Here is very impressive thing , you will use your old harddisk and dvd untill you can buy new ones

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ NCIX)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ NCIX)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($63.00 @ Vuugo)
Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($639.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Zalman Z11 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.53 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750B BRONZE 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $1165.49
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-02 12:02 EDT-0400)


How much should I expect to pay someone to put this together? Is it still more affordable than a pre-built with that in mind? Do I have to buy cooling and any other extras?


:)  this has GTX 780 :)  a pre built with this card is around $1800

why are you afraid from putting it together ? it is easy to do ...

m
0
l
August 2, 2013 9:42:38 AM

I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, terrified I'll mess something up
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
August 2, 2013 9:51:18 AM

vespir said:
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, terrified I'll mess something up


you cant mess things up , you cant even plug a plu in the wrong direction , it is shaped in one direction...

even the CPU ...

you can watch movies on youtube to know how easy it is ...

here watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls

this is part 2 , dont see part one it is not the assembly
m
0
l
!