Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Cloning ONLY the OS to an SSD

Last response: in Storage
Share
August 2, 2013 5:11:47 PM

Hey guys! I looked on the Internet for a solution for this and I couldn't seem to find one. Anyway, here's my question.

I am currently using a 1 TB Western Digital Blue SATA HDD. It works fine now with no problems, but I eventually want to get an SSD for better performance. The only issue with SSDs are a lack of sufficient storage space. So, I figured I could have a dual hard drive setup with a SSD containing the operating system, in my case Windows 7 64-bit, and a HDD containing all of my games, media, and programs. I bought the OEM version of Windows 7 and as far as I know, I can't re install it due to licencing issues. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would prefer to keep my data intact during the transfer processes, so I want to know if there is a way to clone the OS to the SSD and keep everything else on the HDD, then set it up to auto install everything to the HDD?

Sorry for writing a novel with this post. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

More about : cloning ssd

a c 88 G Storage
August 2, 2013 5:16:18 PM

oem mean it for one pc, so yes you can install in on the SSD.
m
0
l
August 2, 2013 5:18:21 PM

rgd1101 said:
oem mean it for one pc, so yes you can install in on the SSD.


What I'm asking is if I have to re install the OS to an SSD and reinstall everything then configure it for dual drives or if I can somehow clone only the OS.

And are you saying that I can use the OEM disc to re install it with the already used activation code.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 88 G Storage
August 2, 2013 5:24:22 PM

the activation is to the pc(motherboard) os yes you can reinstall it. then just reinstall the other app to the HDD
m
0
l
August 2, 2013 5:26:19 PM

rgd1101 said:
the activation is to the pc(motherboard) os yes you can reinstall it. then just reinstall the other app to the HDD


So I have to start from scratch and re install everything? That's the only way to do it? And is it worth that?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
August 2, 2013 5:40:43 PM

You can clone the whole drive, but not just Windows. Even if you could clone just Windows, you would have to reinstall everything anyways because all the other programs won't be in the location Windows will think it is (your SSD would be the new C: drive, and it will think all programs are in C: but they would be on the HDD which would now be the D: drive). Basically you either clone the whole drive or you start fresh, and since you can't clone the whole drive since you don't have the space, you have to reinstall Windows and all your programs.
Share
August 2, 2013 5:44:52 PM

navysealbrian said:
You can clone the whole drive, but not just Windows. Even if you could clone just Windows, you would have to reinstall everything anyways because all the other programs won't be in the location Windows will think it is (your SSD would be the new C: drive, and it will think all programs are in C: but they would be on the HDD which would now be the D: drive). Basically you either clone the whole drive or you start fresh, and since you can't clone the whole drive since you don't have the space, you have to reinstall Windows and all your programs.


I do video editing and gaming, so would an SSD be worth the upgrade? Would I see a huge performance boost? I'm starting to think it would be better to stick with my HDD...
m
0
l
a b G Storage
August 2, 2013 5:54:33 PM

Whatever is installed or located on the SSD will load FAST. That's fast as in very fast. I can shut down the computer, start it back up, put in my password and be fully logged into Windows in under a minute total, load time for Windows minus inputting the password is like 15 seconds. I rarely see a loading screen when I'm in a game, if I do, it lasts only 1-2 seconds. It's worth it, especially if you hate waiting.
m
0
l
August 2, 2013 5:57:34 PM

navysealbrian said:
Whatever is installed or located on the SSD will load FAST. That's fast as in very fast. I can shut down the computer, start it back up, put in my password and be fully logged into Windows in under a minute total, load time for Windows minus inputting the password is like 15 seconds. I rarely see a loading screen when I'm in a game, if I do, it lasts only 1-2 seconds. It's worth it, especially if you hate waiting.


Thanks man! I'll see what I can do. Cheers!
m
0
l
a c 88 G Storage
August 2, 2013 5:57:44 PM

thing will load faster, but it not going to make it run faster.
m
0
l
!