Sign in with
Your question
Solved

800$ Micro Center AMD FX build <3

Last response: in Systems
August 2, 2013 5:15:13 PM

Hello!

My current system sounds like a dying whale and is circa 08' Dell 64x2, 5770, 3gb time for an upgrade

Going to MC soon and need some help regarding Mobo's/CPU bundle GPU/ compatibility, memory.

I know I can ask the MC guys, but was hoping to have an idea of what I want beforehand. I also have a feeling they will try to steer me into an Intel build...

I play GW2, mainly MMO's. Will be getting ESO.

I know I want an AMD/Raedon build.
I just need to choose between the FX 8350 or 6300. I'll take the 6300 if I can get a better card

Haven't tried to OC anything ever, but want to have the option later on.

If I can get away with 4gb ram then yay. I could always upgrade later.

I want to spend around 800....and am keeping in mind I need to add a new OS, which is alot of moola.

Thanks,
Krista

Best solution

August 2, 2013 5:44:00 PM

if you want to future proof more then the fx 8320 would be more ideal though it cost most more then the 6300, which is the overall best value chip on the market. I say the fx 8320 because its essentially the same as the fx 8350 but cheaper. FX chips are meant for overclocking so the premium price of the fx 8350 doesn't give it much value since it'll likely overclock to the same frequency. Ideally you want to go 8 cores with amd chips since next gen consoles are all going to have 8 cores. For graphics I'd go again with and AMD solution since their graphics chips are more similar to the consoles'. Even though as of know Nvidia chips may have more value, I'm not really sure of their value compared to AMD's options, AMD chips have a closer architecture and have more compute power. The consoles will likely use compute a lot which nvidia cards, with the exception of titan and the 780 gtx, are really weak in. So AMD chips will likely be better for future proofing. The card I'd get know is the HD 7870 since its costs about $200 and give you good value, you could maybe even go to the hd 7950 if it you can afford it and if it has good value. It has 3GB of memory as opposed to 2GB that the HD 7850 has which will defiantly help next gen games. I'd also get 8GB of ram right know since next gen games will at minimum require 4GB of memory, Battlefield 4 is an exampe. 2x4GB at 1600Mhz offers the best value. Also as advise for overclocking don't skimp on the motherboard and case fans, you need the cooling and a quality motherboard for overclocking.
August 2, 2013 5:49:57 PM

Phyrexiancure said:
if you want to future proof more then the fx 8320 would be more ideal though it cost most more then the 6300, which is the overall best value chip on the market. I say the fx 8320 because its essentially the same as the fx 8350 but cheaper. FX chips are meant for overclocking so the premium price of the fx 8350 doesn't give it much value since it'll likely overclock to the same frequency. Ideally you want to go 8 cores with amd chips since next gen consoles are all going to have 8 cores. For graphics I'd go again with and AMD solution since their graphics chips are more similar to the consoles'. Even though as of know Nvidia chips may have more value, I'm not really sure of their value compared to AMD's options, AMD chips have a closer architecture and have more compute power. The consoles will likely use compute a lot which nvidia cards, with the exception of titan and the 780 gtx, are really weak in. So AMD chips will likely be better for future proofing. The card I'd get know is the HD 7870 since its costs about $200 and give you good value, you could maybe even go to the hd 7950 if it you can afford it and if it has good value. It has 3GB of memory as opposed to 2GB that the HD 7850 has which will defiantly help next gen games.

Thanks Phyrexiancure,

I have heard that both Sony and Microsoft went with AMD CPU's, which is great for AMD. Any thoughts on a good mobo for the 8350?

m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2013 6:17:13 PM

Don't buy the GPU from MC. Mine and my dad's (2 different states) have a 50$ markup or so from Newegg. Yes, they'll price match, but the selection is rather limited when compared to Newegg. Otherwise, they have some of the best deals around.
m
l
!