Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good $1500 PC Build?

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 2, 2013 7:48:44 PM

Intel Core i5-4670K Processor (stock)
ASUS Maximus VI Hero Motherboard
Gigabyte Windforce OC 4GB Vram GDDR5
8GB Corsair Vengeance Red DDR3 1600Mhz RAM
256GB Samsung Pro Series SSD
1TB Western Digital Caviar Black HDD
Corsair Professional Series HX750W PSU
Fractal Design Define R4 Case with two Noctua 120mm intake fans for cooling
LG Blu-Ray Optical Drive (Just in case)
Subtotal - $1,545.56
The main games I will be playing on this PC are Skyrim with about probably 100 mods, mostly immersive but probably with Skyrim 2K Textures and World of Warcraft, could it run both at 60+ fps on Max settings? I heard from a guy at Best Buy it was extreme overkill and I believe him but I wanted to get a few more opinions, thanks for any feedback you guys can give also, I might get a second GTX 770 in the future and do SLI.

More about : good 1500 build

August 2, 2013 8:06:12 PM

Looks good to me, But if you are planning on overclocking(guessing you may want to with an unlocked k cpu) you'll need an after market cpu cooler, may want to get ddr3 1866 or 2133(big cpu cooler may also require low profile ram(40mm or less), and if ocing and doing SLI you'll want an 850w PSU for some extra headroom.
August 2, 2013 8:13:40 PM

bignastyid said:
Looks good to me, But if you are planning on overclocking(guessing you may want to with an unlocked k cpu) you'll need an after market cpu cooler, may want to get ddr3 1866 or 2133(big cpu cooler may also require low profile ram(40mm or less), and if ocing and doing SLI you'll want an 850w PSU for some extra headroom.


I don't plan to overclock anything, I don't trust myself and with the games I'm planning on playing I heard I don't really need to :p 
Related resources

Best solution

August 2, 2013 8:18:37 PM
Share

If you are not overclocking then you could save a few bucks and get the 4670 non k version. Also I forgot to add the guy at bestbuy was probably and idiot, some times overkill is underrated.
August 2, 2013 8:49:57 PM

You seem to have forgotten some information on your graphics card. Is it the GTX760 Windforce OC that you are getting?

If so, your setup is fine... If its the GTX770, your setup is even more fine.

The only thing I might consider changing is downgrading the samsung 840 Pro to a samsung 840. The endurance issues on the TLC NAND used in the 840 are far over stated, as testing has shown that it will last close to 3000 P/E cycles, far more then its specs of 1000, and far more then you are ever likely to hit in practise, unless you keep it for decades.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-te...

The write speed specs on the non-pro are lower, but the majority of your I/O tasks are reading anyways, not writing. This downgrade would save $50.



August 2, 2013 8:57:33 PM

bluejayek said:
You seem to have forgotten some information on your graphics card. Is it the GTX760 Windforce OC that you are getting?

If so, your setup is fine... If its the GTX770, your setup is even more fine.

The only thing I might consider changing is downgrading the samsung 840 Pro to a samsung 840. The endurance issues on the TLC NAND used in the 840 are far over stated, as testing has shown that it will last close to 3000 P/E cycles, far more then its specs of 1000, and far more then you are ever likely to hit in practise, unless you keep it for decades.

http://uk.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-te...

The write speed specs on the non-pro are lower, but the majority of your I/O tasks are reading anyways, not writing. This downgrade would save $50.

The link to the Gigabyte Windforce OC GTX 770 I'm planning on getting is http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CU9GOAO/ref=ox_sc_a...
Also, I just want the best SSD for gaming whatever that may be, I just heard the Samsung Series was good then heard the Samsung Pro Series was better so I upgraded to that :D 


August 2, 2013 9:04:24 PM

Samsung Pro is better, so if you want to spend the extra $$, that's fine by me, I was just pointing out that you could save a bit while loosing hardly anything!

I'd probably buy the Pro as well.. just because I want the best, even though I know I don't need it.
August 2, 2013 9:09:42 PM

The only thing an SSD will help with in games is load times, I have an SSD and run a couple games from it but the mass majority of my games are on a 2Tb storage drive. I did buy the pro :) 
August 2, 2013 9:10:03 PM

bluejayek said:
Samsung Pro is better, so if you want to spend the extra $$, that's fine by me, I was just pointing out that you could save a bit while loosing hardly anything!

I'd probably buy the Pro as well.. just because I want the best, even though I know I don't need it.


Me too :p 
!