Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

SYSTEM_DEVICE_EXCEPTION / DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (Windows 8)

Last response: in Windows 8
Share
August 2, 2013 11:12:28 PM

Hey everyone, I just recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU as well as upgraded from Windows 7 to 8. Recently I've been getting these blue screens which seem to happen when I'm trying to play a game (though this isn't always the case). If anyone could explain to me what's going on exactly I'd greatly appreciate it!

Something tells me it has something to do with this wonderful R7750 Core Edition GPU I just picked up which was a mistake and a half. I've put a lot of money and time into this stupid thing and I can't wait for it to get running at a full sprint. It seems like it's just one thing after another with this.

Error results below.
Spoiler

==================================================
Dump File : 072113-25755-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/21/2013 5:12:01 AM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff803`2dcaf182
Parameter 3 : fffff880`09dce330
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\072113-25755-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9200
Dump File Size : 280,616
Dump File Time : 7/21/2013 5:13:18 AM
==================================================

==================================================
Dump File : 072313-14695-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/23/2013 6:55:40 AM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Bug Check Code : 0x0000009f
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`079d8060
Parameter 3 : fffff803`2b459770
Parameter 4 : fffffa80`08b98c60
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+1ce51
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\072313-14695-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9200
Dump File Size : 1,421,512
Dump File Time : 7/23/2013 6:57:05 AM
==================================================

==================================================
Dump File : 072413-13946-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/24/2013 9:19:09 AM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff802`b20d1172
Parameter 3 : fffff880`0c6bae50
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\072413-13946-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9200
Dump File Size : 280,616
Dump File Time : 7/24/2013 9:20:06 AM
==================================================

==================================================
Dump File : 072413-12994-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/24/2013 9:32:25 AM
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000101
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000019
Parameter 2 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 3 : fffff880`01951180
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000004
Caused By Driver :
Caused By Address :
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address :
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\072413-12994-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9200
Dump File Size : 262,144
Dump File Time : 7/24/2013 9:33:06 AM
==================================================

==================================================
Dump File : 072413-15771-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/24/2013 7:53:33 PM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff803`212b8182
Parameter 3 : fffff880`0ee56fc0
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\072413-15771-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9200
Dump File Size : 288,808
Dump File Time : 7/24/2013 7:54:33 PM
==================================================

==================================================
Dump File : 072713-11980-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/27/2013 4:23:33 PM
Bug Check String : DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Bug Check Code : 0x0000009f
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000003
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`079817f0
Parameter 3 : fffff802`24639770
Parameter 4 : fffffa80`071d13c0
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\072713-11980-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9200
Dump File Size : 1,250,064
Dump File Time : 7/27/2013 4:24:32 PM
==================================================

==================================================
Dump File : 080313-13837-01.dmp
Crash Time : 8/3/2013 12:35:16 AM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff801`ca0c8172
Parameter 3 : fffff880`0de06f70
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+12bb9
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+5a440
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\080313-13837-01.dmp
Processors Count : 8
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 9200
Dump File Size : 280,616
Dump File Time : 8/3/2013 12:36:13 AM
==================================================


a c 381 * Windows 8
August 3, 2013 1:43:25 AM

Post your full System Specs..
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 8:56:38 AM

dodger46 said:
Post your full System Specs..


Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX - 8350 Eight Core Processor (4.0GHZ) w/ stock Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB 7200 RPM 3.0GB/s Hard drive
XFX R7750 Core Edition GPU
ATAPI iHAS124 B Disk Drive

I think that's going to be about it.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 381 * Windows 8
August 3, 2013 10:00:27 AM

B1gazp4nduh said:
dodger46 said:
Post your full System Specs..


Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX - 8350 Eight Core Processor (4.0GHZ) w/ stock Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB 7200 RPM 3.0GB/s Hard drive
XFX R7750 Core Edition GPU
ATAPI iHAS124 B Disk Drive

I think that's going to be about it.

Think you're pushing your PSU to it's limit with that rig, but guess that would be more likely to generate shutdowns than BSODs. The stop codes point to Graphics as you observed, have you installed the latest drivers from ATI website?
AMD Catalyst from here
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
Perhaps even try the Beta version to see if that improves matters...

m
0
l
August 3, 2013 10:08:44 AM

dodger46 said:
B1gazp4nduh said:
dodger46 said:
Post your full System Specs..


Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX - 8350 Eight Core Processor (4.0GHZ) w/ stock Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB 7200 RPM 3.0GB/s Hard drive
XFX R7750 Core Edition GPU
ATAPI iHAS124 B Disk Drive

I think that's going to be about it.

Think you're pushing your PSU to it's limit with that rig, but guess that would be more likely to generate shutdowns than BSODs. The stop codes point to Graphics as you observed, have you installed the latest drivers from ATI website?
AMD Catalyst from here
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
Perhaps even try the Beta version to see if that improves matters...




Sure have, I've uninstalled and reinstalled them multiple times as well. Do you think the limited PSU could be causing the graphics card to malfunction and causes the BSOD's?
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 381 * Windows 8
August 3, 2013 10:36:46 AM

B1gazp4nduh said:
dodger46 said:
B1gazp4nduh said:
dodger46 said:
Post your full System Specs..


Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX - 8350 Eight Core Processor (4.0GHZ) w/ stock Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB 7200 RPM 3.0GB/s Hard drive
XFX R7750 Core Edition GPU
ATAPI iHAS124 B Disk Drive

I think that's going to be about it.

Think you're pushing your PSU to it's limit with that rig, but guess that would be more likely to generate shutdowns than BSODs. The stop codes point to Graphics as you observed, have you installed the latest drivers from ATI website?
AMD Catalyst from here
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
Perhaps even try the Beta version to see if that improves matters...




Sure have, I've uninstalled and reinstalled them multiple times as well. Do you think the limited PSU could be causing the graphics card to malfunction and causes the BSOD's?

Well, if it's not a driver issue I can't think of anywhere else to look. Perhaps download and run Speccy to see what your rail volts look like, especially 12V, ideally when under load. Tolerance should be within 10%
http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.ht...


Share
August 3, 2013 10:42:07 AM

dodger46 said:
B1gazp4nduh said:
dodger46 said:
B1gazp4nduh said:
dodger46 said:
Post your full System Specs..


Asus M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard
AMD FX - 8350 Eight Core Processor (4.0GHZ) w/ stock Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready Power Supply
Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 1TB 7200 RPM 3.0GB/s Hard drive
XFX R7750 Core Edition GPU
ATAPI iHAS124 B Disk Drive

I think that's going to be about it.

Think you're pushing your PSU to it's limit with that rig, but guess that would be more likely to generate shutdowns than BSODs. The stop codes point to Graphics as you observed, have you installed the latest drivers from ATI website?
AMD Catalyst from here
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/rad...
Perhaps even try the Beta version to see if that improves matters...




Sure have, I've uninstalled and reinstalled them multiple times as well. Do you think the limited PSU could be causing the graphics card to malfunction and causes the BSOD's?

Well, if it's not a driver issue I can't think of anywhere else to look. Perhaps download and run Speccy to see what your rail volts look like, especially 12V, ideally when under load. Tolerance should be within 10%
http://download.cnet.com/Speccy/3000-2094_4-75181811.ht...




Voltage
+12V 11.731 V
+5V 4.956 V

I bet you're right. I'm going to go grab a new PSU right now.
m
0
l
a c 381 * Windows 8
August 3, 2013 11:19:27 AM




I bet you're right. I'm going to go grab a new PSU right now.


Maybe! Certainly won't do any harm to have a PSU working well within it's capacity whether it sorts the prob or not...
Those voltages are low but still within specs, but when running a game with the GPU at full throttle....

m
0
l
August 3, 2013 12:56:10 PM

dodger46 said:



I bet you're right. I'm going to go grab a new PSU right now.


Maybe! Certainly won't do any harm to have a PSU working well within it's capacity whether it sorts the prob or not...
Those voltages are low but still within specs, but when running a game with the GPU at full throttle....



Alright, I just picked up a GS700 From Corsair and just installed it... Lets see if I can make this puppy BSOD again.

*edit*

Ok, I just checked and my voltages are moving up and down along with the temperatures on my CPU and GPU... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
m
0
l
a c 381 * Windows 8
August 3, 2013 3:25:23 PM

B1gazp4nduh said:
dodger46 said:



I bet you're right. I'm going to go grab a new PSU right now.


Maybe! Certainly won't do any harm to have a PSU working well within it's capacity whether it sorts the prob or not...
Those voltages are low but still within specs, but when running a game with the GPU at full throttle....



Alright, I just picked up a GS700 From Corsair and just installed it... Lets see if I can make this puppy BSOD again.

*edit*

Ok, I just checked and my voltages are moving up and down along with the temperatures on my CPU and GPU... I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.


Fluctuations are normal. as long as they don't exceed plus or minus 10%

m
0
l
August 3, 2013 3:54:17 PM

Though my graphics card still isn't doing half of what I expected it to, the BSOD's have stopped for now. Not to mention the PSU with the changeable LED in it. Thanks dodger46!
m
0
l
a c 381 * Windows 8
August 3, 2013 10:35:16 PM

B1gazp4nduh said:
Though my graphics card still isn't doing half of what I expected it to, the BSOD's have stopped for now. Not to mention the PSU with the changeable LED in it. Thanks dodger46!

You're welcome. At least you now have the power to CrossfireX two X 7790s if it's only doing half what you expected...

m
0
l
!