Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Help installing samsung 840 pro 128gb

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 3, 2013 7:33:10 AM

I installed it in my computer properly and connected it to my sata 3 ports that used to have my cd drive in it. It's recognized in the bios, on the computer and and in their software. The only trouble i'm having is with the migration software since its saying that its full, when in fact its empty since its brand new and Ive formatted it. In the magician software it's also saying it's empty. I called customer support but they they told me to call 1800seagate for hard drive issues, but they are closed since it's saturday.
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 7:40:11 AM

Let's back up a step or two.

What are you trying to migrate? From an HDD to an SSD?
How much data is on the existing HDD?
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 7:42:47 AM

Yes i'm trying to use the migration software to clone my os and a few games to the ssd. My hdd has only about 150gb of stuff on it.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 7:44:11 AM

stanley780 said:
Yes i'm trying to use the migration software to clone my os and a few games to the ssd. My hdd has only about 150gb of stuff on it.


150 is larger than 128. This will not work until you remove/uninstall some stuff from the HDD.
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 7:49:24 AM

Can't i use the migration software to pick and choose files to clone? I don't want to copy every file over.
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 8:01:21 AM

stanley780 said:
Can't i use the migration software to pick and choose files to clone? I don't want to copy every file over.


Does it give that option early in the process? Probably not.
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 8:05:42 AM

No, is their a third party program that can?
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 8:11:51 AM

stanley780 said:
No, is their a third party program that can?


No, not that I've ever seen.

The thing is...every application that gets installed becomes 'part' of the OS. Registry entries, /User/AppData/, /Program Files/, etc.
A 3rd party app can't delve into every possible registry entry, and only choose 'some'.

The solution is to shrink that ~150GB to under 100 or so.
Or just do a clean install on the SSD. That is always my preferred course of action.
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 8:27:15 AM

Will i have to use a new windows 7 code? Because my disk has no activations left on it. And will there be anything i need to do when installing/downloading files to save on the hdd instead of the ssd?
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 8:40:00 AM

stanley780 said:
Will i have to use a new windows 7 code? Because my disk has no activations left on it. And will there be anything i need to do when installing/downloading files to save on the hdd instead of the ssd?


Since you're just changing the drive, your current activation key is probably fine. You may have to activate it via phone, though. Simple and easy process.

And yes, you can direct installations and document saving to wherever you want.
Open Windows Explorer
Create a few folders on the HDD - MyDocs, MyMusic...stuff like that
Libraries
Right click on Documents, select Properties
Add the MyDocs folder you created above
Click on 'Set save location'

Now anything you save in 'Documents' goes to wherever you selected on the HDD.
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 10:25:57 AM

Thanks for your help so far. I installed windows 7 on it and it worked fine. I reinstalled all my video card and motherboard drivers. But how do i delete all my old windows files from the HDD and get my games to run properly. When i try to run them i get a dxl error.
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 10:28:41 AM

stanley780 said:
Thanks for your help so far. I installed windows 7 on it and it worked fine. I reinstalled all my video card and motherboard drivers. But how do i delete all my old windows files from the HDD and get my games to run properly. When i try to run them i get a dxl error.


Are these games through Steam?
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 10:38:17 AM

Dxl error is for league of legends. I get an inappropriate path error for world of tanks. And i get a missing dll error for far cry 3. But my msi afterburner, cpuid and core temp worked fine.

edit: No they are not from steam.
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 10:51:10 AM

stanley780 said:
Dxl error is for league of legends. I get an inappropriate path error for world of tanks. And i get a missing dll error for far cry 3. But my msi afterburner, cpuid and core temp worked fine.

edit: No they are not from steam.


Right.
Assuming they still live on the original HDD location, your new install on the SSD does not know about them. It is assuming that the DLL exists somewhere on the C. Which it doesn't anymore.

So...reinstall, choosing a location on the D. You can probably even use the current D location. Reinstalling will reset all the pointers to the proper locations.
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 10:57:43 AM

How do i reinstall world of tanks and league of legends since they have no disk?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 11:00:09 AM

stanley780 said:
How do i reinstall world of tanks and league of legends since they have no disk?


Do you still have the original download file? If not, just download it again and install from that.
Share
August 3, 2013 11:55:17 AM

Ok thanks for all your help. I ended up backing up all my pictures and music and formatting the hdd and will reinstall everything.
m
0
l
a b Ô Samsung
August 3, 2013 12:23:39 PM

stanley780 said:
Ok thanks for all your help. I ended up backing up all my pictures and music and formatting the hdd and will reinstall everything.


Bingo. Moving to an SDD, a fresh reinstall is best. The various migration schemes work, mostly. But there are far more reports in here of problems doing that than just a fresh reinstall.
m
0
l
!