Solved

Newly built PC is smoking after a minute of being turned on.

I just built a new PC and it is smoking after a minute of use.

The case is a antec gx 700.

I observed the smoke coming from the dvd drive area, but I felt the wires of the fans that are all connected to the chassis fan control and they were hot. Nothing else seemed to be hot when I felt around. The fans are also tucked in around where the dvd drive is.

The fan control switch doesn't seem to be working and one stock fan is not working at all, however 2 stock fans are working as well as a optional fan I installed at the front.

This is my first build, but my pc seems wired properly. This is my second case of antec as the first one didn't have any of the motherboard standoff holes properly threaded.

I have the fan control of the chassis connected to the peripheral cable of the antec ax650.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about newly built smoking minute turned
  1. Blance said:
    I just built a new PC and it is smoking after a minute of use.

    The case is a antec gx 700.

    I observed the smoke coming from the dvd drive area, but I felt the wires of the fans that are all connected to the chassis fan control and they were hot. Nothing else seemed to be hot when I felt around. The fans are also tucked in around where the dvd drive is.

    The fan control switch doesn't seem to be working and one stock fan is not working at all, however 2 stock fans are working as well as a optional fan I installed at the front.

    This is my first build, but my pc seems wired properly. This is my second case of antec as the first one didn't have any of the motherboard standoff holes properly threaded.

    I have the fan control of the chassis connected to the peripheral cable of the antec ax650.

    Any input is appreciated.

    Thanks


    Did you run your fans off a molex connector then to the power supply? Or are they all connected to the motherboard? If connected to the motherboard, how many fans? How many 3 or 4 pin M.B. connections did you use?
  2. Best answer
    It sounds as if there was a short in one of the fans or maybe the switch. I've had this happen and the insulation on one of the fan's wires smoked. This didn't cause any damage to my PC. I would check the fan wires for damaged insulation as well as the connectors. I would also smell them and the switch. Its also possible the fan control switch gave too much current to the fans.
  3. Quote:
    This is my first build, but my pc seems wired properly.


    Apparently not.
    Smoke + heat = something is not wired right.

    Take everything apart, especially leaving the fan controller out, and put it together one by one. Testing at each step.
  4. I think you connected the front panel headers wrong. (I.e power, reset, hdd light) or usb headers
  5. scoobydenon said:
    Blance said:
    I just built a new PC and it is smoking after a minute of use.

    The case is a antec gx 700.

    I observed the smoke coming from the dvd drive area, but I felt the wires of the fans that are all connected to the chassis fan control and they were hot. Nothing else seemed to be hot when I felt around. The fans are also tucked in around where the dvd drive is.

    The fan control switch doesn't seem to be working and one stock fan is not working at all, however 2 stock fans are working as well as a optional fan I installed at the front.

    This is my first build, but my pc seems wired properly. This is my second case of antec as the first one didn't have any of the motherboard standoff holes properly threaded.

    I have the fan control of the chassis connected to the peripheral cable of the antec ax650.

    Any input is appreciated.

    Thanks


    Did you run your fans off a molex connector then to the power supply? Or are they all connected to the motherboard? If connected to the motherboard, how many fans? How many 3 or 4 pin M.B. connections did you use?


    I have the fan control connected to the molex, but each fan is connected to the fan control cables and not to the motherboard.
  6. oczdude8 said:
    I think you connected the front panel headers wrong. (I.e power, reset, hdd light) or usb headers


    I thought about this since I though the Asrock instructions for the motherboard were unclear.

    I have the pins as follows:

    [Power LED +] [Power LED -] [ POWER SW (2 pins) ] [ NO PIN ] * The labels are all facing up!
    [ HDD LED (2pins) ] [ RESET SW (2 pins) ] [ DUMMY ] ** The labels are facing down!
  7. USAFRet said:
    Quote:
    This is my first build, but my pc seems wired properly.


    Apparently not.
    Smoke + heat = something is not wired right.

    Take everything apart, especially leaving the fan controller out, and put it together one by one. Testing at each step.


    I will have to eventually do this, but I am trying to see if I can isolate the problem first.

    do you think there could have been any damage to the parts?
  8. Tuvix said:
    It sounds as if there was a short in one of the fans or maybe the switch. I've had this happen and the insulation on one of the fan's wires smoked. This didn't cause any damage to my PC. I would check the fan wires for damaged insulation as well as the connectors. I would also smell them and the switch. Its also possible the fan control switch gave too much current to the fans.


    Alright thanks, I will also look into this.
  9. Tuvix said:
    It sounds as if there was a short in one of the fans or maybe the switch. I've had this happen and the insulation on one of the fan's wires smoked. This didn't cause any damage to my PC. I would check the fan wires for damaged insulation as well as the connectors. I would also smell them and the switch. Its also possible the fan control switch gave too much current to the fans.



    Alright I inspected the fan control cables and see that they are melted. I can't tell if it is the either the fan cables of the fan controller cable.

    Is it wrong to have the peripheral cable of ax650 connected to this fan controller?
  10. Did you use any adapters to connect power to the fan controller? Otherwise, the connectors and voltages are pretty universally standard and the brand/model of your PSU wouldn't be a problem. It is possible there is something wrong with your PSU but since everything else works your PSU is most likely good.

    I cant find much on the fan controller. If I understand it right the controller is connected to the PSU through a standard 4-pin molex and the fans are connected directly to the controller, and there are no other connections.
Ask a new question

Read More

Antec Systems Fan Controller