Should I get the FX-8320 or the FX-8350

RadicalScrub

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
I plan to get a new processor than my AMD Phenom II X4 965. I plan either the 8320 or 8350 but it is about a 50$ difference. But I knew one time the 8350 was around 179$ but I missed it.

I plan not to overclock since I believe it is way too complex for me. I will be recording for Youtube and will want some faster rendering time in Sony Vegas 12. I will record BF3, BF4, Garrys Mod, Minecraft, Warframe, GTA IV, etc. But mainly to get ready for BF4.

I also will be getting a Corsair H55 water cooler. So if you guys encourage me to overclock, I will think about it...

ANOTHER edit ( gosh I need to do it all at once) - I will be getting these during September with my other parts and I heard about the new Steamrollers CPU AMD going to release. Should I just wait for those or what.

Solution
If your trying to save money then I would go with the 8320, there really isn't that much difference as they are both 8 core CPUs with the same cache and TDP of 125w. The only difference is and you would be paying $40 for it is the base clock speed; 8350 is 4gh and the 8320 is 3.5ghz so it's .5ghz for $40 and a mild overclock would take care of that and make them equal. The turbo boost on the 8320 is 4ghz which means that when it's needed that CPU will clock itself up to 4ghz.

So your choice basicly comes down to $40.
If your trying to save money then I would go with the 8320, there really isn't that much difference as they are both 8 core CPUs with the same cache and TDP of 125w. The only difference is and you would be paying $40 for it is the base clock speed; 8350 is 4gh and the 8320 is 3.5ghz so it's .5ghz for $40 and a mild overclock would take care of that and make them equal. The turbo boost on the 8320 is 4ghz which means that when it's needed that CPU will clock itself up to 4ghz.

So your choice basicly comes down to $40.

Solution

RadicalScrub

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

Okay I am siding more with the FX-8320, but when you did this, I just edited the post. So should I wait for the Steamroller CPU if it DOES come out around September. or if they really are going to make CPU. Also if it does, do you believe it will have a diffrent socket than AM3+. (dang I ask too many questions...)

First, what motherboard do you have? Or are you planning on upgrading that too? (it is possible your motherboard won't support either)

As far as which one to get...

Since you won't be overclocking, then the 8350 hands down due to the higher clock speed. If you don't plan on overclocking, you'll be stuck at the out of the box performance so it would be worth getting a faster processor.

If you get convinced to overclock, then I believe the 8350 has more headroom for overclocking, but the 8320 should do just fine.

The corsair h55 isn't really worth getting. I'd recommend the hyper 212 evo which will work great with a non overclocked cpu and still be good enough to get the 8350 to 4.4 at least (depending on how good of a chip you get, you might be able to get more) and would be cheaper to boot.

I wouldn't expect a steamroller FX for a while, certainly not September. The APUs will be the first to get steamroller, which might not happen until early next year. Steamroller (if it does come to FX) might be a different socket, all AMD said was that socket AM3+ would see one more cpu. It could be a Vishra refresh (much like the APUs getting Richland). This seems more likely as the server road maps show a piledriver refresh for the Opterons which the FX series is derived from.

I'd say go for either 8350 or 8320 (depending on your budget). If you can afford an 8350 I'd say go with it instead. Yes a mild overclock will bring the 8320 to the same level as a stock 8350, but a mild overclock on the 8350 will put it up to 4.4-4.6.

RadicalScrub

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013

inzone told me that the turbo boost will just boost it up to 4ghz so I am just chilling with the FX-8320 so far. I have the GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 with my stock phenom II X4 965. I would get the hyper 212 plus (same as the evo pretty much but 20$) but I have a CM Elite 430 case and the clearance would between the CPU cooler and the side of the case is little. Also who wants a big CPU fan in a window when you can look like a cool kid with liquid cooling? :D

I guess it will depend on your budget as to which way you want to go and spend. Right now the 8350 is $200 and the 8320 IS $160, The new Steamroller is not out yet and prices are not known, they may be close to the current Vishera or they may be higher like the two new FX CPUs that were just released (FX-9590 and FX-9370)

You could do some research on overclocking and get enough info to do a mild small overclock just enough to raise the stock clock speed a bit and I would get the H-70 or H-80 or the Swiftech H220.

Nothing wrong there, but don't expect a 4 ghz turbo to keep up for very long. Turbos are a short burst. With good cooling, you'll keep it up longer but not that long. Still the 8320 is a good choice for the money saved. You can always bump it up to a constant 4 ghz easily. Just take your time in learning how to overclock and take the process slowly.

Honestly, I don't care what the inside of my case looks like. Even if it had a window, I'd be too busy looking at my monitor than the inside of my case. There are lots of other people like me that prefer function over form, especially when better performance can be obtained for less :) (I out grew that cool kid thing after my first build which had a side window, UV reflective fans and a blacklight)

RadicalScrub

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
Well I have decided the FX-8320 for now that is. When it comes to September is the final verdict. But also I am gotta use the H55 since well... I already have it. Also one more thing. How do I pick Best Answer thingy. I remember seeing that button for those but I don't see. because seriously, who doesn't like being picked best answer?

When you started this tread you needed to change the thread type from discussion to question, which I have now done for you.

In this forum there are two types of threads to be posted , Discussion and Question , the one that has the Pick as the Solution is the question. The Discussion type is set as the default and you have to change it to get the Question type. It should be the other way around but maybe it will be changed at some point.