Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

7970 GHZ - Can my PSU handle it?

Tags:
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 3, 2013 10:03:48 PM

Hi all,

Here is my current system setup:
FX-6300 - 4.1 ghz cpu
MSI 970a-g46 mobo
HIS 7870 ghz gpu
1tb HDD
8GB Ram
Hyper 212+
2 120mm Fans
Rosewill Green 530w PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I am looking to get a Gigabyte 7970 Ghz edition.

Will my current PSU be able to handle the 7970 (for mostly casual gaming on one monitor, nothing to intensive except maybe PS2 and BF3) if I replace my current 7870?

EDIT: If needed I should be able to upgrade to a 650 or 750w psu by next month.

Thanks,
Brent

More about : 7970 ghz psu handle

Best solution

August 3, 2013 10:08:23 PM

I am not going to recommend it but to simply answer your question- yes

The rosewill has 41A on 12v rails whereas the hd7970ghz requires 31A.

Rosewill is not the best brand for psu but its not that bad either
Share
August 3, 2013 10:18:40 PM

shamsmu said:
I am not going to recommend it but to simply answer your question- yes

The rosewill has 41A on 12v rails whereas the hd7970ghz requires 31A.

Rosewill is not the best brand for psu but its not that bad either


What will happen if my system does happen to draw to much power and my psu cant handle it? Am I risking breaking something or will my pc just crash?

Also until I get a new psu should I just go back to stock clocks on my CPU and not OC my GPU?
m
0
l
Related resources
August 3, 2013 10:41:50 PM

BrentRitztro said:

What will happen if my system does happen to draw to much power and my psu cant handle it? Am I risking breaking something or will my pc just crash?

Also until I get a new psu should I just go back to stock clocks on my CPU and not OC my GPU?


Changing psu would be a good idea. For the time being, your rosewill should be able to get the job done. And yes revert all the settings to factory clocks until you get a better psu.
m
0
l
August 3, 2013 10:45:00 PM

shamsmu said:


Changing psu would be a good idea. For the time being, your rosewill should be able to get the job done. And yes revert all the settings to factory clocks until you get a better psu.


Alright thanks :) 
m
0
l
!