Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Under $1300 Gaming Build: Ivy Bridge or Haswell?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
August 3, 2013 10:24:58 PM

Based on feedback from overclockers on the forums I was able to create an $1100 gaming/video/office build (until i added SSD). I was about to buy and my friend pointed out I might want to jump on the haswell platform for only $40-50 more based on my identical build.

Would being on the haswell LGA1155 (with the motherboard in the build) for $50 be a good idea since I can later on put intel's next CPU in it?

Ivy Bridge
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1nYNP

Haswell
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1nZMK


Is this a good mobo for future CPUs & video cards?
Is the 620w power supply sufficient for the 4670k haswell while attempting an overclock to 4.4ghz on air?

Best solution

August 3, 2013 10:30:35 PM
Share

If you don't mind spending the extra few bucks. Just go for the haswell, it's slightly better and uses less power at idle. Also the haswell cpu's use a newer socket. So if you buy a LGA1155 board it will not work with a hawell. Haswell uses the 1150 socket.
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
August 3, 2013 10:51:20 PM

I'd go with the Ivy Bridge build. The money saved could go towards a better case and fans to cool inside the case. Yes, Haswell is faster but $50 faster? no. So, 1155 (Ivy) is a dead platform. Who cares? Haswell (1150) will be dead in 3 years too. If you plan to upgrade the CPU in 2 years then Haswell might be better. Otherwise, Ivy Bridge is good enough. Save the money and use the savings for else.

Yes, it's a good mobo. It'll overclock well.

620W is plenty for a overclocked "K" chip and a big GPU. You could even get a 550W PSU and it would be enough for your build. I'd rather get a different PSU instead. I'd get the Seasonic 550W Gold.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr5...
Related resources
August 3, 2013 10:58:25 PM

envy14tpe said:
I'd go with the Ivy Bridge build. The money saved could go towards a better case and fans to cool inside the case. Yes, Haswell is faster but $50 faster? no. So, 1155 (Ivy) is a dead platform. Who cares? Haswell (1150) will be dead in 3 years too. If you plan to upgrade the CPU in 2 years then Haswell might be better. Otherwise, Ivy Bridge is good enough. Save the money and use the savings for else.

Yes, it's a good mobo. It'll overclock well.

620W is plenty for a overclocked "K" chip and a big GPU. You could even get a 550W PSU and it would be enough for your build. I'd rather get a different PSU instead. I'd get the Seasonic 550W Gold.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr5...


On newegg haswell's are going for about the same prices as Ivy's right now check it out! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b K Overclocking
a b 4 Gaming
August 3, 2013 11:09:41 PM

thanksforthefish87 said:
envy14tpe said:
I'd go with the Ivy Bridge build. The money saved could go towards a better case and fans to cool inside the case. Yes, Haswell is faster but $50 faster? no. So, 1155 (Ivy) is a dead platform. Who cares? Haswell (1150) will be dead in 3 years too. If you plan to upgrade the CPU in 2 years then Haswell might be better. Otherwise, Ivy Bridge is good enough. Save the money and use the savings for else.

Yes, it's a good mobo. It'll overclock well.

620W is plenty for a overclocked "K" chip and a big GPU. You could even get a 550W PSU and it would be enough for your build. I'd rather get a different PSU instead. I'd get the Seasonic 550W Gold.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr5...


On newegg haswell's are going for about the same prices as Ivy's right now check it out! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


You are totally correct. The i5s are selling at the same price. However, Z87 mobos are more expensive than the tried, tested, and improved Z77 mobos. If you compare the MSI mobos that OP likes the Z87 is $40 more.

If I were the builder and wanted a better than average mobo (like G65) then I'd get the Ivy Bridge cuz it saves $40 and I won't notice the difference in performance compared to Haswell. And that extra $40 could get me a Corsair 300R ($13 more than 200R) + Seasonic 550 ($33 more than CoolerMaster)
August 3, 2013 11:16:15 PM

envy14tpe said:
thanksforthefish87 said:
envy14tpe said:
I'd go with the Ivy Bridge build. The money saved could go towards a better case and fans to cool inside the case. Yes, Haswell is faster but $50 faster? no. So, 1155 (Ivy) is a dead platform. Who cares? Haswell (1150) will be dead in 3 years too. If you plan to upgrade the CPU in 2 years then Haswell might be better. Otherwise, Ivy Bridge is good enough. Save the money and use the savings for else.

Yes, it's a good mobo. It'll overclock well.

620W is plenty for a overclocked "K" chip and a big GPU. You could even get a 550W PSU and it would be enough for your build. I'd rather get a different PSU instead. I'd get the Seasonic 550W Gold.
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr5...


On newegg haswell's are going for about the same prices as Ivy's right now check it out! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


You are totally correct. The i5s are selling at the same price. However, Z87 mobos are more expensive than the tried, tested, and improved Z77 mobos. If you compare the MSI mobos that OP likes the Z87 is $40 more.

If I were the builder and wanted a better than average mobo (like G65) then I'd get the Ivy Bridge cuz it saves $40 and I won't notice the difference in performance compared to Haswell. And that extra $40 could get me a Corsair 300R ($13 more than 200R) + Seasonic 550 ($33 more than CoolerMaster)


yeah, that's a trade off to consider. Either way it's a good choice though. If it were me though I'd go for a haswell.
!