144 hertz monitor problem.

MikeD1993

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Hello and thanks for taking the time reading this.
I've recently bought a VG278HE monitor and i'm pretty satisfied with it. Scrolling pages up and down nd moving stuff is a lot smoother etc.
But now to the problem, as soon as i launch any game it doesn't run at120/144 hertz even with the right ingame settings.
I tried vsync on/off, gpu scaling on/ff. Both didn't change anything.
I'm also using a dual dvi linkto connect to my pc.
OS = Windows 8
GPU = GTX 680
I'm happy for every help to fix this problem

Solution

If your FPS are low, as other have mentioned, you still have the latency associated with low FPS, so high hz doesn't make much of an impact (it still has a slight improvement by not having to drop to 33.3ms frames with vsync on, and offers a 25ms frame time instead).

To check if your hz are at 120 or 144, you should be able to open up your monitors menu (buttons on the monitor itself), and check for an info page that tells you the current mode it is in. That or you could try dropping your in game settings to as low as possible with...

MikeD1993

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Thanks for the quick answers.
CPU is a Intel I7-3770K @ 3.50 GHz
I quickly checked ingame frames and they are above 150 fps. Maybe it's be something different that causes the problem.

MikeD1993

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Thanks for posting the benchmarks.
I'm not running the highest grahpic settings, i lowered some settings to get those frames. That's why i want to use the 120/144 Hertz

There are a number of games which do not seem to allow you to choose 120hz or 144hz by default, but I've found if I enter a game with 3D Vision activated, I can turn off 3D Vision in game, and it will run at 120hz. Some games do have some hacks to help you, and if you run a game in Windowed mode, or Fullscreen Windowed mode if that is offered, it will run at your desktop hz.

You should check out the Lightboost hack on this page, as it might force 120hz, even when a game doesn't normally support it: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/

MikeD1993

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
Thanks for all those quick answers.
The game itself has the settings of 120/144 Hertz.
I already tried the lightboost trick. But it just doesn't feel like it's running higher than 60 Hertz mode.

If your FPS are low, as other have mentioned, you still have the latency associated with low FPS, so high hz doesn't make much of an impact (it still has a slight improvement by not having to drop to 33.3ms frames with vsync on, and offers a 25ms frame time instead).

To check if your hz are at 120 or 144, you should be able to open up your monitors menu (buttons on the monitor itself), and check for an info page that tells you the current mode it is in. That or you could try dropping your in game settings to as low as possible with v-sync on, and see if it goes over 60 FPS.

Oh, and what is the rest of your system? The CPU and RAM. Those matter a lot when trying for high FPS.

Solution

With newer games, you'll either have to lower graphical settings, or get more GPU horsepower, such as 680 SLI to get FPS as high as needed to see a big difference between 60hz and 120hz. While the monitor can display 120 FPS without tearing, your graphics card is not going to keep up at high settings with new games. In some newer games, the CPU may need to be OC'ed to keep up.

Run MSI Afterburner and monitor your FPS. You'll likely find your FPS are not all that fast, as a result, things don't feel much smoother than before.