Hi everyone! I've been tempted by a recent offer that is available as a bundle, the bundle contains a previous generation Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570 and ASRock Z77 Extreme 3 at the price of 269.99+Tax (CAD$ - After MIR/Instant rebates).
If I purchase this bundle, then my next product on the list is probably an SSD which seems to provide an overall performance boost.
I would like some opinions on the above price and system, my options are; upgrade my CPU/Mobo to the one above and hold off for a new GPU/Case/Others or purchase a GPU (AMD 7950 for around 280$) and replace my current 9800GT or wait out on everything.
My current system specs are:
AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition - OC'd to 3.7Ghz
12GB DDR3 RAM
EVGA 9800GT - 1GB
Two 500GB HDDs
500W CoolerMaster PSU
CoolerMaster Elite 310 Case
My computer performs decently enough for me and I don't mind playing my games at medium settings. I am able to play a lot of current games at a satisfying quality/performance, apart from gaming, I spend a lot of my time doing computer/electrical engineering work.
I don't think you would get good value from that bundle.
The Z77 chipsets permits you to overclock a 3570K, but not a 3570.
With a 3570, you could use a cheaper motherboard.
Or... the 4570 haswell gives better cpu efficiency per clock.
Since your pc performs decently for you now, I really don't think a cpu upgrade will do that much for you.
For everyday use, a SSD is the most impressive upgrade. A Samsung 840 240gb ssd is now selling for about $175.
That is an upgrade you can notice.
If you were into playing fast action games, a $250 GTX760 might be a good upgrade.
But, from your description, I might suggest a more modest upgrade like a $170 GTX650ti.
If your apps are cpu bound, then a cpu upgrade might be in order.
Your X4 has a passmark rating of 4013.
a 3570 is 6993.
With a modest overclock, a 3570K should be about 20% better.
One way to test the sensitivity of your apps to cpu power is to remove your overclock and see how much your app performance is impacted. If the impact is significant, then more cpu power is in order.
I think I agree with your point of view, I doubt I would obtain a noticeable boost in performance for my applications.
They are CPU bound applications, but obtaining a few seconds (1-3s) when compiling or something doesn't warrant the upgrade.
The SSD seems to be the most useful upgrade, at least the most noticeable, faster loading and boot up times definitely help lower frustration levels and I would
be able to swap it between my laptop or other systems.
Unfortunately, the bundle is a fixed offer and as such I can't change the options. I have looked into the GTX 760 and it seems to be a great option as well.
I would like to point out that I am not in a situation where I am desperate for an upgrade or faster performance, I just feel that I deserve an upgrade at this point.
In order of priorities I think the SSD option should be first on the list, I would like to hear your opinions on that. Second on my list is the GPU, which would require an upgraded power supply and case.
Thanks, I'll look into both of these items and decide whether to go through with the upgrade or not. I really appreciate the help both of you have given me, at least it helped me decide not to purchase the CPU/Mobo!
Update: Sorry, I can't seem to "pick the solution" for more than one person.
geofelt your help was great too, thanks a lot!