Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I build a dedicated server computer at home to run game servers?

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
August 4, 2013 1:59:55 PM

I was looking at prices for gaming servers and they're expensive. So I thought in the long run it would be better to build my own server computer. I'm wondering how I could go about making a server that could run Garry's mod, teamspeak, minecraft, and other games 24/7 all at the same time also how would I make all the hardware parts compatible, is there like a website? Should I use Linux or windows. Is this internet fast enough for the servers http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2880968559

More about : build dedicated server computer home run game servers

August 4, 2013 2:06:07 PM

Server components can get really expensive, so I would recommend just building yourself a somewhat beefed-up regular computer. (Unless, of course, 24/7 operation and 99% reliability are important to you) For minecraft, you'll be good with an i5-4670k/ i7-4770k and 16GB of RAM unless you want to run a huge server (50+ people)

Most of the servers on the top server lists run off of the server equivalents of chips similar to those. (Ivy bridge, though) Getting them will cost you more but get you server-only features such as ECC RAM.

As with the computer: As long as you don't want 50+ people on your server, the internet will be fine.

Here's a good website: PCpartpicker.com

For the linux vs. windows: Unless you really plan on doing a huge server, stick with windows since it'll probably be easier to run all of your stuff off of it if you don't have any experience with linux.
m
0
l
August 4, 2013 2:23:15 PM

Munchbot said:
Server components can get really expensive, so I would recommend just building yourself a somewhat beefed-up regular computer. (Unless, of course, 24/7 operation and 99% reliability are important to you) For minecraft, you'll be good with an i5-4670k/ i7-4770k and 16GB of RAM unless you want to run a huge server (50+ people)

Most of the servers on the top server lists run off of the server equivalents of chips similar to those. (Ivy bridge, though) Getting them will cost you more but get you server-only features such as ECC RAM.

As with the computer: As long as you don't want 50+ people on your server, the internet will be fine.

Here's a good website: PCpartpicker.com

For the linux vs. windows: Unless you really plan on doing a huge server, stick with windows since it'll probably be easier to run all of your stuff off of it if you don't have any experience with linux.


Well could you pick out some server parts that would be good and reliable for 24/7 and then send me the pcpartpicker links so I could see how much it's going to cost. I currently have a http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8500/pd with 8gb of DDR3 Ram as my computer but I would like to run a server on a separate machine
m
0
l
Related resources
August 4, 2013 2:30:57 PM

logan ramos said:
Munchbot said:
Server components can get really expensive, so I would recommend just building yourself a somewhat beefed-up regular computer. (Unless, of course, 24/7 operation and 99% reliability are important to you) For minecraft, you'll be good with an i5-4670k/ i7-4770k and 16GB of RAM unless you want to run a huge server (50+ people)

Most of the servers on the top server lists run off of the server equivalents of chips similar to those. (Ivy bridge, though) Getting them will cost you more but get you server-only features such as ECC RAM.

As with the computer: As long as you don't want 50+ people on your server, the internet will be fine.

Here's a good website: PCpartpicker.com

For the linux vs. windows: Unless you really plan on doing a huge server, stick with windows since it'll probably be easier to run all of your stuff off of it if you don't have any experience with linux.


Well could you pick out some server parts that would be good and reliable for 24/7 and then send me the pcpartpicker links so I could see how much it's going to cost. I currently have a http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8500/pd with 8gb of DDR3 Ram as my computer but I would like to run a server on a separate machine


I haven't really done any server stuff, but I know that you'll want a xeon 1230 v2 processor and ECC RAM, as well as server-grade motherboards and hard drives. Unless you're really serious about doing a huge server, I wouldn't go that route though. Look around, do some research and you'll find what fits best. :p 
m
0
l
August 4, 2013 2:44:31 PM

Munchbot said:
logan ramos said:
Munchbot said:
Server components can get really expensive, so I would recommend just building yourself a somewhat beefed-up regular computer. (Unless, of course, 24/7 operation and 99% reliability are important to you) For minecraft, you'll be good with an i5-4670k/ i7-4770k and 16GB of RAM unless you want to run a huge server (50+ people)

Most of the servers on the top server lists run off of the server equivalents of chips similar to those. (Ivy bridge, though) Getting them will cost you more but get you server-only features such as ECC RAM.

As with the computer: As long as you don't want 50+ people on your server, the internet will be fine.

Here's a good website: PCpartpicker.com

For the linux vs. windows: Unless you really plan on doing a huge server, stick with windows since it'll probably be easier to run all of your stuff off of it if you don't have any experience with linux.


Well could you pick out some server parts that would be good and reliable for 24/7 and then send me the pcpartpicker links so I could see how much it's going to cost. I currently have a http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8500/pd with 8gb of DDR3 Ram as my computer but I would like to run a server on a separate machine


I haven't really done any server stuff, but I know that you'll want a xeon 1230 v2 processor and ECC RAM, as well as server-grade motherboards and hard drives. Unless you're really serious about doing a huge server, I wouldn't go that route though. Look around, do some research and you'll find what fits best. :p 

I just need some help picking out cheap hardware that can run a few servers 24/7 with about 30 slots per server simultaneously
m
0
l
!