Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best GTX 760s (4GB) for SLI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 5, 2013 1:30:59 PM

Which GTX 760s are the best for SLI? (4GB cards). I have heard that the reference cooler (Such as on the 4GB EVGA Card, non FTW) is the best, but, would something like the EVGA ACX keep the cards cooler? Or would the MSI cards be the best due to the backplate?

Build I am planning to put these in: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Masoo2/saved/26F5

More about : gtx 760s 4gb sli

August 5, 2013 1:52:17 PM

One could certainly make an argument for having the video cards exhaust out the back rather then heat up the rest of the case. But you have a lot of fans there. If you have all the ones on the top and back exhausting it should work okay.

Power supply is extreme overkill unless you are planning to run 4 video cards. Something like an XFX 850W, Corsair AX850, or similar would be plenty.

If you wait a few weeks on storage you might be able to pick up one of the Samsung 840 EVO 960G and forego the split SSDs, unless you already own one of them.
m
0
l
Related resources

Best solution

August 5, 2013 1:58:01 PM
Share
August 5, 2013 2:12:17 PM

Eximo said:
One could certainly make an argument for having the video cards exhaust out the back rather then heat up the rest of the case. But you have a lot of fans there. If you have all the ones on the top and back exhausting it should work okay.

Power supply is extreme overkill unless you are planning to run 4 video cards. Something like an XFX 850W, Corsair AX850, or similar would be plenty.

If you wait a few weeks on storage you might be able to pick up one of the Samsung 840 EVO 960G and forego the split SSDs, unless you already own one of them.


I was planning on purchasing another 760 down the road, most likely for PhysX, because ArmA 3 uses ALOT of PhysX. Or just as another card, as they are very reasonable priced. And that Rosewill 1300watt PSU was VERY cheap compared to some other 900-100watt PSUs I have saw, along with many reviews. I also was planning on putting the H100i on the top. Would that be the best idea? Or would a front mounted 100i be better for SLI cooling? The case supports 3 140mm fans (Included, but I am changing them), and 4 120s, which I am getting a 100i and 2x Corsair's to replace.
m
0
l
August 5, 2013 2:22:41 PM

If you can stretch the CPU radiator to the front that would be the best cooling config for the chip, but would heat the video cards since that would be the intake. If you put it up top, the CPU will be intaking the heat from axial fan GPUs, but not really effected (except radiant heat off the back of the cards) with blower style fan GPUs.
m
0
l
August 5, 2013 2:24:43 PM

Also unless you are going multimonitor 2GB is fine, so its better to either drop down to the 2GB versions or move up to the 2GB 770's.
m
0
l
August 5, 2013 2:31:11 PM

cookybiscuit said:
Also unless you are going multimonitor 2GB is fine, so its better to either drop down to the 2GB versions or move up to the 2GB 770's.


Many games are already using more than 2GB VRAM, such as Crysis 3, Skyrim with mods, and most likely ArmA 3. That being said, next gen games will almost definatly use more than 2GB VRAM in High-Ultra in most games, such as BF4 and TITANFALL.
m
0
l
August 5, 2013 2:39:17 PM

Masoo2 said:
cookybiscuit said:
Also unless you are going multimonitor 2GB is fine, so its better to either drop down to the 2GB versions or move up to the 2GB 770's.


Many games are already using more than 2GB VRAM, such as Crysis 3, Skyrim with mods, and most likely ArmA 3. That being said, next gen games will almost definatly use more than 2GB VRAM in High-Ultra in most games, such as BF4 and TITANFALL.

No they don't, Skyrim with mods is the only one there that does. You also can't make the argument for newer games using more VRAM, because they will all be DX11 (because of the new consoles), in which MSAA is totally useless. Things like SSAA use less VRAM and looks worlds better.

Will 2GB be enough forever? Obviously not. But, for now, and for any games an SLI 760 system can run, it is. Theres a reason cards like the 690 'only' have 2GB.

m
0
l
August 5, 2013 3:15:36 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
MSI.


Why do so many people go all fanboy over the MSI 760s when according to the reviews I have read, they actually get hotter at load compared to the gigabyte WF 760 OCs even at their lower base clocks. The MSIs are slightly quiter at full load (with their hotter temps) ... And smaller right? Is is because they are smaller everyone likes them? .,. because they certainly don't cool better than the gigabyte WF, and the noise difference is very minor.

m
0
l
!