Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom X6 1075T- Bottleneck

Last response: in Video Games
Share
August 5, 2013 9:14:53 PM

Hi, I was looking into purchasing a new AMD Radeon HD7870 and was wondering if my CPU could cause some bottle necking? I have yet to buy the new graphics card and want to make sure i don't have to completely change my CPU and GPU.
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2013 9:20:58 PM

There shouldn't be much of a bottleneck. However, if you feel like you are getting less performance than you should, you can slap on an aftermarket cooler and do some overclocking.
m
0
l
August 5, 2013 9:54:37 PM

expl0itfinder said:
There shouldn't be much of a bottleneck. However, if you feel like you are getting less performance than you should, you can slap on an aftermarket cooler and do some overclocking.

Any suggestions for a aftermarket cooler and some tips on overclocking?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2013 9:59:38 PM

God_Of_War145 said:
expl0itfinder said:
There shouldn't be much of a bottleneck. However, if you feel like you are getting less performance than you should, you can slap on an aftermarket cooler and do some overclocking.

Any suggestions for a aftermarket cooler and some tips on overclocking?


What is your budget for an aftermarket cooler?
m
0
l
August 5, 2013 10:08:13 PM

expl0itfinder said:
God_Of_War145 said:
expl0itfinder said:
There shouldn't be much of a bottleneck. However, if you feel like you are getting less performance than you should, you can slap on an aftermarket cooler and do some overclocking.

Any suggestions for a aftermarket cooler and some tips on overclocking?


What is your budget for an aftermarket cooler?

I don't really have a range for a aftermarket cooler. I never really thought about it. Just give me some suggestions and i'll do whats best.

m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2013 10:10:54 PM

God_Of_War145 said:
expl0itfinder said:
God_Of_War145 said:
expl0itfinder said:
There shouldn't be much of a bottleneck. However, if you feel like you are getting less performance than you should, you can slap on an aftermarket cooler and do some overclocking.

Any suggestions for a aftermarket cooler and some tips on overclocking?


What is your budget for an aftermarket cooler?

I don't really have a range for a aftermarket cooler. I never really thought about it. Just give me some suggestions and i'll do whats best.



Ok. what motherboard do you have? Because if the motherboard will not support much overclocking, there is no reason to get a beefy heatsink. Also, what is your case?
m
0
l
August 5, 2013 10:18:44 PM

expl0itfinder said:
God_Of_War145 said:
expl0itfinder said:
God_Of_War145 said:
expl0itfinder said:
There shouldn't be much of a bottleneck. However, if you feel like you are getting less performance than you should, you can slap on an aftermarket cooler and do some overclocking.

Any suggestions for a aftermarket cooler and some tips on overclocking?


What is your budget for an aftermarket cooler?

I don't really have a range for a aftermarket cooler. I never really thought about it. Just give me some suggestions and i'll do whats best.



Ok. what motherboard do you have? Because if the motherboard will not support much overclocking, there is no reason to get a beefy heatsink. Also, what is your case?

890GX Extreme 3, and i have no idea what the case is. Is there anyway to find out?
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2013 10:28:08 PM

Could you upload a pic?
m
0
l
August 5, 2013 10:31:19 PM

expl0itfinder said:
Could you upload a pic?

I can :)  Gimme a sec here. I know its a "NZXT" case but i looked up the model number and couldn't find a thing.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2013 10:57:59 PM

Judging by the size of that case, I think something like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 would be suitable. It is cheap as well:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I may not reply for a while, as it is late where I am, and I need my rest :) 
Share
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2013 8:31:39 AM

No problem :)  Also, as for overclocking tips. Overclocking is often specific to the motherboard, but in general, it works by first, raising the multiplier (the multiplier determines the actual clock speed: 41 = 4.1GHz):

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/633/msbs0006.png

The multiplier is highlighted, labeled "Adjust CPU Ratio", and it may be labeled different things on different motherboards, however the function is the same. Next, you need to change the voltage, or VCORE. The CPU voltage determines how much juice the CPU is getting. The higher the multiplier, the more juice the CPU will need. Here is an example of CPU voltage in the UEFI:

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/moth...

I would suggest raising the multiplier one value, and then raising the voltage a little, then rebooting. Once in the OS, test the overclock with Prime95, or a similar program. Errors will often show in Prime 95 within 15 minutes. If the system does not boot at all, then raise the voltage a little more until it does. Rinse and repeat. (Not literally, as liquids do not play nicely with electronics :D ) Also, make sure you keep the heat in check. You want to stop raising the voltage if the temperatures get to around 70C. If the overclock is unstable at that temperature, then lower the multiplier and the voltage a little. I like to use HWMonitor to check my temps. Overclocking can often be a lengthy process, so you may just want to dedicate a day to messing around with it.

HWMonitor:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/
m
0
l
August 6, 2013 1:40:29 PM

expl0itfinder said:
No problem :)  Also, as for overclocking tips. Overclocking is often specific to the motherboard, but in general, it works by first, raising the multiplier (the multiplier determines the actual clock speed: 41 = 4.1GHz):

http://imageshack.us/a/img62/633/msbs0006.png

The multiplier is highlighted, labeled "Adjust CPU Ratio", and it may be labeled different things on different motherboards, however the function is the same. Next, you need to change the voltage, or VCORE. The CPU voltage determines how much juice the CPU is getting. The higher the multiplier, the more juice the CPU will need. Here is an example of CPU voltage in the UEFI:

http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/moth...

I would suggest raising the multiplier one value, and then raising the voltage a little, then rebooting. Once in the OS, test the overclock with Prime95, or a similar program. Errors will often show in Prime 95 within 15 minutes. If the system does not boot at all, then raise the voltage a little more until it does. Rinse and repeat. (Not literally, as liquids do not play nicely with electronics :D ) Also, make sure you keep the heat in check. You want to stop raising the voltage if the temperatures get to around 70C. If the overclock is unstable at that temperature, then lower the multiplier and the voltage a little. I like to use HWMonitor to check my temps. Overclocking can often be a lengthy process, so you may just want to dedicate a day to messing around with it.

HWMonitor:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Prime95:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft/

Thanks for the help with all the questions. Have a good day :) 
m
0
l
a b À AMD
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2013 2:46:03 PM

Absolutely! And to you as well.
m
0
l
!