$300-$500 CPU, Mobo, RAM Upgrade

judy822

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Approximate Purchase Date: Either Black Friday or Cyber Monday 2013

Budget Range: ~$300 (was suggested) - $500 Max Before Rebates After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Graphic Designer (Adobe AE, DW, ID, IL, PS), gaming, movies/videos, surfing the internet

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Mobo, RAM
Currently have:
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920
Mobo: MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX6GX3M3A1600C9

Reusing the following:
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W RT
Case: CM 690 II Advanced Mid-Tower

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com (most commonly used – ordered all my initial components from here), frys.com (store near my house – upgraded GPU, MB, RAM & HD 2+ years after initial components during some blue screen issues) or any other website that have good deals

Parts Preferences: I would like to upgrade …
CPU: Intel i7 Quad Core CPU @~3.4+GHz (~$200 hopefully on Black Friday/Cyber Monday)
Mobo: Intel Mobo (Up to ~$100)
RAM: ~16GB Corsair or G.Skill (~$100 hopefully on Black Friday/Cyber Monday)

Overclocking: No/Maybe – I’ve never attempted to overclock since there’s always this chance this chance you can heat/fry the CPU so I don’t really dare to.

SLI or Crossfire: Unsure of what this is…

Your Monitor Resolution: 2048x1152 (Samsung 23-in LCD Model #2342BWX)

Additional Comments: I’d like a quiet PC because when I go heavy gaming or heavy programs, the fans start to get a little loud, not that I really mind because it’s to be expected but if it’s not possible, I won’t require it.
Programs: Adobe AfterEffects, Dreamweaver, Flash, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop
Current Game(s): TERA

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: It’s been 5 years since I last built my PC and some-time in between, I’ve had blue screen issues which led me to changing out my MB, GPU, RAM, as well as Hard Drive. We found out after the fact, it may have been due to power shortage (which was fixed). In addition, having 3 x2 RAM slots made a hassle of finding RAM (i.e. 6GB (3 x 2GB) to upgrade since a lot of RAM nowadays are in 2’s (16GB (2 x 8GB)) so I feel like it’d be easier to find ram in 2’s rather than in 3s.
A big component that I’m looking for is primarily multi-tasking large programs such as running multiple Adobe programs at once because for what I do, I usually need to switch between each program and currently it cannot really do so, especially when I work with 3D rendering in AE (which can be fixed with a RAM upgrade) and opening large format files (~400MB+ image/files).
For intense gaming sometimes I have to switch from full graphical settings to minimum to increase the FPS and I usually multi-task gaming, watching shows as well as browsing altogether and I get slight freezes(~1 sec) at times which I’ve been told the PC’s trying to process all the information at once.

Please feel free to any additional questions - I'm not in a super rush as I'm planning to purchase near the holidays (hopefully when things get cheaper) but had been considering this upgrade for the last couple months, especially the ram upgrade. Thank you all for your time!

Solution
AMD FX is a bit overperformed by Intel i7 on its per-core performance, by a slight (but tangible) margin. However, the FX has proven to have a better performance on applications that make good use of the 8 cores, and 64 bit programs such as the Adobe suite. At the end of the game, they are both powerful and the performance might be very, very similar in real world (and not performing synthetic benchmarks to see which one's better). However, AMD's FX had 2 cards under its sleeve:

1. AMD FX 8350 is priced about 30% less than a comparable i7-3770. This savings could be channeled towards more or better RAM, a SSD instead or in addition to a HDD, a better graphics card, etc. Any of those parts will improve the overall performance much more...

serge44

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
This is what I would suggest.

Basically I'm proposing a jump from Intel to AMD. The 8350 is a great processor, with 8 powerful cores that the Adobe suite can take advantage of. Comes at 4.0GHz stock but since it's unlocked you can easily push a bit more out of it. Best currently price/performance ratio. Other than that, just a solid MB with plenty of fast ram for your multitasking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284 $200
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128519 $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231627 $140

Total: $450. Let me know what you think. Cheers.

judy822

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010

I do indeed like that huge of a number of 4.0Ghz and it's definitely better than what I have at the moment. I brought this up in a couple of occasions with some family and friends and they mentioned that Intel was better than AMD despite the 8 cores and the Ghz frequency, mentioning that AMD's architecture isn't as good for multi-threading. I'm currently trying to do a little more research into just why AMD is THAT much cheaper than an Intel with that many cores. Would you know any particular reason's off the top of your head?

I will most-likely take your consideration for the RAM though :)

Thank you!

serge44

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
AMD FX is a bit overperformed by Intel i7 on its per-core performance, by a slight (but tangible) margin. However, the FX has proven to have a better performance on applications that make good use of the 8 cores, and 64 bit programs such as the Adobe suite. At the end of the game, they are both powerful and the performance might be very, very similar in real world (and not performing synthetic benchmarks to see which one's better). However, AMD's FX had 2 cards under its sleeve:

1. AMD FX 8350 is priced about 30% less than a comparable i7-3770. This savings could be channeled towards more or better RAM, a SSD instead or in addition to a HDD, a better graphics card, etc. Any of those parts will improve the overall performance much more than the perceivable difference amongst AMD and Intel.

2. The 8350 overclocking potential (with its unlocked multiplier) practically makes up for the CPU differences. With the proper cooler, motherboard, and dedication, it's not that unrealistic to aim for a 5GHz clock.

Solution

Syncline

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013