Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need help with pc build (im a noob)

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 6, 2013 4:31:36 PM

Hi guys, I finally got into pc gaming, problem is, my laptop cant handle new games at all. So I'll need a good pc that can play Skyrim and the Sims 3 on atleast high settings without lag. :) 

Approximate Purchase Date: this week

Budget Range: 1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet

Are you buying a monitor: No

Do you need to buy OS: Yes, not included in budget.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I will be buying at Fry's so the cheapest they can do a price match with

Location: Austin, tx

Parts Preferences: I kind of like the video card, I want 16gb of memory

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1600x900, I'll upgrade this when I have the money.

Additional Comments: Remember I am a total noob. Everything I know about pc build I learned here in a couple of days, so pls tell me if any of the parts are incompatible. Also if you know any good local computer builder in the austin, round rock area, pls say so, I want them to build my pc for me, if not, then I'll just have fry's build it. :D  Also pls dont tell me to build it myself, I am too afraid and I have no problem paying Fry's $100 to build.

This is what I have in mind, feel free edit stuff up to make it cheaper :)  (pls dont make it anymore expensive, I'm already over budget):

CPU: Intelcore i5-3570k
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2) http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2...

Motherboard: AS Rock LGA1155 DDR3 SATA3 USB3.0 Quad CrossFireX and Quad SLI A GbE ATX Motherboard Z77 EXTREME4 http://www.amazon.com/LGA1155-CrossFireX-Motherboard-Z7...

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-...

Storage: Western Digital WD1002FAEX Caviar Black 1 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Internal Desktop 3.5" Hard Drive http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-WD1002FAEX-Intern...

Video card: EVGA GeForce GTX770 SuperClocked with EVGA ACX Cooler, 2GB GDDR5 256bit, DL DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI, DP, SLI Ready Graphics Cards (02G-P4-2774-KR) http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SuperClocked-Graphic...

Case: NZXT PHANTOM ATX Full Tower Case, White PHAN-001WT http://www.amazon.com/NZXT-PHANTOM-Tower-White-PHAN-001...

Power: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Bronze (TX750M) http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Enthusiast-Series-Modular...

Optical Drive: Asus 24xDVD-RW Serial ATA Internal OEM Drive DRW-24B1ST (Black) http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD-RW-Serial-Internal-DR...

I think I'm somewhere around 1300. Do I need a speaker and a sound card? Will this play Skyrim and the Sims 3 on atleast high settings without lag?

Thanks so much for your time :D 

More about : build noob

Best solution

August 6, 2013 5:32:28 PM

That will do a good job - might want to add a solid state drive down the road but Samsung's include a copy of Norton Ghost so you're golden. Onboard audio processing is fine unless you're a hardcore audiophile and I prefer to rock my surround headphones for PC games over speakers but that's personal preference.

Good spec
Share
August 6, 2013 5:44:22 PM

game junky said:
That will do a good job - might want to add a solid state drive down the road but Samsung's include a copy of Norton Ghost so you're golden. Onboard audio processing is fine unless you're a hardcore audiophile and I prefer to rock my surround headphones for PC games over speakers but that's personal preference.

Good spec


Thanks for the answer :) 
If I add a solid state drive, do I still need a hard drive? I'm not so sure what a solid state drive does.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 6, 2013 5:53:01 PM

depends on how much media you have - solid state is just flash memory instead of traditional magnetic disk storage. Quick and reliable, but it gets expensive depending on the size. A 128GB drive is good if you don't have a lot of media files and you don't keep a large catalog of games on your system. I personally recommend going with something larger (180-256GB) and having a traditional hard drive for all your music/videos. But that's because I have a lot of stuff on mine - I use a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro combined with a 3TB Seagate 7.2k HDD but that's because I have ripped my entire bluray collection for playing it on my tablet.
m
0
l
August 6, 2013 5:58:11 PM

game junky said:
depends on how much media you have - solid state is just flash memory instead of traditional magnetic disk storage. Quick and reliable, but it gets expensive depending on the size. A 128GB drive is good if you don't have a lot of media files and you don't keep a large catalog of games on your system. I personally recommend going with something larger (180-256GB) and having a traditional hard drive for all your music/videos. But that's because I have a lot of stuff on mine - I use a 256GB Samsung 840 Pro combined with a 3TB Seagate 7.2k HDD but that's because I have ripped my entire bluray collection for playing it on my tablet.


Oh my, they're too expensive for me. I'll just get one in the future when I can afford it, since I'll probably need alot of space since I'm planning on using steam. Thanks again game junky :D 
m
0
l
August 7, 2013 10:35:25 AM

I totally understand - most majority drive manufacturers are working on developing and improving their storage platforms to be both quicker, more energy efficient and less expensive so when you're ready to purchase a new drive you might find the price more to your liking. The new 840 EVO's look promising in terms of $/GB. Enjoy your rig - that 770 should be a champ. It has plenty of performance - might be worth it to look at the versions with twice the video memory because developers are trying to add new texture effects that will utilize as much video memory as it can find. Nothing to break your piggy bank open for but if you have a little wiggle room, it will help add a couple of years to the life of your system's ability to play new games at high quality. Again, the 770 you have is great just something I might consider if it were me.

Good luck!
m
0
l
August 7, 2013 11:24:34 AM

game junky said:
I totally understand - most majority drive manufacturers are working on developing and improving their storage platforms to be both quicker, more energy efficient and less expensive so when you're ready to purchase a new drive you might find the price more to your liking. The new 840 EVO's look promising in terms of $/GB. Enjoy your rig - that 770 should be a champ. It has plenty of performance - might be worth it to look at the versions with twice the video memory because developers are trying to add new texture effects that will utilize as much video memory as it can find. Nothing to break your piggy bank open for but if you have a little wiggle room, it will help add a couple of years to the life of your system's ability to play new games at high quality. Again, the 770 you have is great just something I might consider if it were me.

Good luck!


I found a 4gb version on amazon and since its only $30 more I think I can afford it. Thanks you've been very helpful. :) 
m
0
l
!