7950 Crossfire Problems

mseagle2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
So I just got 2 new 7950's today and I have been having problems with crossfire. Both cards work fine - I have tested each of them individually and they perform the same. I have tried using the 13.8 drivers and 13.4 drivers. Crossfire is enabled in CCC.

Ok so this is what happens:

during BF3 I only get around 30 FPS in crossfire (was getting 50-60 with single cards). In metro 2033 benchmarks tool I get the exact performance of a single card setup but both cards are active. MSI after burner shows GPU 1 only using 45% (and slowly works its way up to that) and GPU 2 instantly jumps to 100% (monitor is connected to GPU 1)

Any help would be great! Thanks!

Solution

hmm thats really weird i would say do a complete uninstall of the...

hmm thats really weird i would say do a complete uninstall of the drivers then disable your internet. now hit scan for changes in device manager and then run a install of the 13.6 beta drivers. I still cannot get my 7970 to not fail the driver update when trying to go to 13.8 no matter what i do and after catalyst would not install correctly and thats what fixed it for me.

those fps seem low for a 7950

also what powersupply do you have?

to me it seems like a driver issue but make sure to check you mobo manual to see what slots they say to use for xfire

Solution

mseagle2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010

PSU is 750W corsair. Seems to be Ok. Mobo is a p8p67 and I am beginning to think this is the issue.

I did some more tests - I put 1 card in at a time. 1 test on bottom pcie, 1 test on top, repeat for second card. Both cards were getting the same FPS in benchmarks when on the top slot, but when in the bottom both would be 30-40% fewer FPS than their top pcie test. After reading a bit about my mobo it turns out to be a 4x pcie 2.0 on the bottom which is not enough bandwidth.

But would the 4x pcie account for a crossfire performance that is worse than a single card? Is this why 1 card goes to 100% usage, while the other never breaks 45% when in crossfire?

In the event a new mobo would fix this, which should I get? I have a i7 2600k and want to keep that so what 1155 socket mobo's seem to be the best these days? Also should I upgrade to a 850w psu or should I be ok with the 750w?

Thanks!

hmm 750 should be ok but its pushing it. I know i have a 750 and im scared if i get another 7970 with my overclock it will be to much

from what you described does your board support sli bec that could be the issue as well but a 4x slot will limit your cards performance but you should still see anincrease in performance.

mseagle2

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I replaced my motherboard yesterday with a P8Z77-V LK and everything is working correctly. Crossfire is working great, and I did a pretty decent overclock on the cards and seems like the psu is holding up.

"After reading a bit about my mobo it turns out to be a 4x pcie 2.0 on the bottom which is not enough bandwidth." < there's your problem, dont worry about your PSU, its fine. Although crossfire can technically be enabled with a 4 x slot, everyone i have seen try it has a problem, it introduces stuttering too, as the frame rendering time is different between the cards because of this bandwidth limitation. So, either sell the second card or both and get a better single card, or get a motherboard that supports 16x+16x pcie 2.0 for optimal performance.