Solved

About to order new CPU, GPU and Mobo. Advice/Comments appreciated!

I am about to order a new CPU, GPU and mobo. I'd love for some comments on this build.

Current build:
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 Black Pearl
PSU: Chieftec Super Series 750W PSU
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K 3,5Ghz
- Cooler: Corsair H-60.
GPU: PNY GeForce GTX 770 XLR8 (And my old Zotac 570 for PhysX)
Monitors: BenQ 23,6" LED XL2410T & Philips 27" LED 273E3LHSB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 16GB CL9
OS: W7 Home Premium
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme6
HDDs: Corsair SSD Force Series 2,5" 120GB & Western Digitial Caviar® Green 2TB & Western Digitial Caviar® Green 3TB (Yes, one SSD and two HDDs)

Will I need a bigger PSUfor my 770+570? Or change brand? I don't really mind cutting one of my HDDs (The 3TB one is somewhat useless).
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about order cpu gpu mobo advice comments appreciated
  1. Looks fine, you should be ok with the 750W PSU to power both the 570 and 770.
  2. burdenbound said:
    Looks fine, you should be ok with the 750W PSU to power both the 570 and 770.

    So I don't have to cut one of my HDDs either? Thanks for the help.

    PS: Was it easy to clock your 3570k to 4.5 GHz? Would you recommend a better cooler than the H60 if I plan on overclocking?
  3. Februus said:
    burdenbound said:
    Looks fine, you should be ok with the 750W PSU to power both the 570 and 770.

    So I don't have to cut one of my HDDs either? Thanks for the help.

    PS: Was it easy to clock your 3570k to 4.5 GHz? Would you recommend a better cooler than the H60 if I plan on overclocking?


    It was fairly straight forward to get to the 4.5 mark. You can sit at 4.2 easy without touching voltages just using the multiplier, I had to bump up to 1.24V core voltage to manage the 4.5GHz. The H60 will work fine at 4.5 but any thing above that and you might want a larger water cooled unit.
  4. Best answer
    H60 is not adequate for overclocking a Haswell chip, beyond a few hundred megahertz (turbo mode is already 3.9Ghz). I'm using an h80i and it is merely adequate as compared to a mid-range air cooler.

    Thermaltake Frio, Noctua DH-14, Xigmatek Loki, CoolerMaster Hyper EVO 212 would all be better or the same for less money then an h60.

    Many people pair the 4770k with an h100i or equivalent.
  5. My OC chart so far. Your results may vary.

    1.2 volts @ 4.3 Ghz, prime95 stable, not AIDA64 stable. 79C peak
    1.238 volts @ 4.3Ghz, prime95 stable, and AIDA64 stable. 82C peak
    1.25 volts @ 4.3Ghz, AIDA64 stable (occasional crashes in gaming) 84C peak
    1.25 volts @ 4.3Ghz, Vin 1.7 volts, LLC level 1, AIDA64 stable, 84C peak
    1.35 volts 4.5Ghz, Vin 1.8 volts, LLC level 1, AIDA64 stable, 100C peak (5 minutes)
  6. Sorry I was thinking i5 temps when I commented about the H60. No personal experience there.
  7. Eximo said:
    H60 is not adequate for overclocking a Haswell chip, beyond a few hundred megahertz (turbo mode is already 3.9Ghz). I'm using an h80i and it is merely adequate as compared to a mid-range air cooler.

    Thermaltake Frio, Noctua DH-14, Xigmatek Loki, CoolerMaster Hyper EVO 212 would all be better or the same for less money then an h60.

    Many people pair the 4770k with an h100i or equivalent.


    Oh, I see. Are you recommending air-cooling because of its efficiency compared to price cost? I'm leaning towards watercooling, and money isn't exactly an issue. Would you recommend the Corsair H90? Or do I need to get one with dual fan cooling?

    Thanks for the advice so far to both of you. It's very helpful!
  8. If you have the space I don't think an h60 ever makes sense over a high-end air cooler. The larger 240mm radiators offer slightly better cooling then the best air coolers.
  9. Eximo said:
    If you have the space I don't think an h60 ever makes sense over a high-end air cooler. The larger 240mm radiators offer slightly better cooling then the best air coolers.


    My case is a Fractal Design Define XL R2, so I guess I should have room for it but I've already filled all the available slots with 120-140mm fans already, so I'm not sure whether I should dish out the cash for a 240mm closed-loop-cooler yet.

    I read a review on the best airflow coolers for the i7 Haswell and it seems that the Noctua NH-U14S barely won it, so I was thinking on perhaps buying one of those instead if the difference is barely noticable. And presumably the the air-flow ones are alot quieter than the 240mm radiators (and 120mm actually).
  10. Yeah, my h80i is quite loud even with replacement fans and a custom profile. Reminds me of the old days of 486 and pentiums with their tiny whining CPU fans.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs CPUs Motherboards Systems