Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Changing standard BIOS to UEFI

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
August 7, 2013 5:34:52 PM

I have a Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 board. I cloned my 1.5 tb drive with Acronis to a 3 tb drive. Now, trying to clone the 3tb to another 3tb for my backup, but Disk manager in Windows 7 does not see the portion of the backup hard drive which is over 2 tb.

Should I convert to UEFI from standard BIOS? I don't see a choice for UEFI in the Dos startup when I hit f2 and search in the Bios section. Will this motherboard support UEFI? And, it also appears that I either have to use Acronis' Extended Capacity Manager to use the full 3.0 tb with MBR partition style, so should I convert to GPT? And, if I cannot change the BIOS to UEFI, should I still convert to GPT?
a c 78 V Motherboard
August 8, 2013 2:37:37 PM

If you're using Windows 7 or later, you don't need to use MBR partitions, only XP and back.
m
0
l
August 8, 2013 2:57:19 PM

Jaxem said:
If you're using Windows 7 or later, you don't need to use MBR partitions, only XP and back.


I already have MBR partitions. What other choice do I have? Isn't GPT the only other choice?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 78 V Motherboard
August 8, 2013 3:08:00 PM

Your board is a bit older than i thought, it's BIOS only from the looks of it, and you have to have UEFI to support GPT booting, so you may just need to use the acronis utility
m
0
l
August 8, 2013 3:11:45 PM

Jaxem said:
Your board is a bit older than i thought, it's BIOS only from the looks of it, and you have to have UEFI to support GPT booting, so you may just need to use the acronis utility


yes....looks like. Apparently that's my only choice short of starting over with reloading the OS on a new board! I wish the motherboard sellers would give you that information. Have you had any experience with the Acronis utility? I wonder if I will have any problems or shortcomings with that?
m
0
l
a c 78 V Motherboard
August 8, 2013 3:16:06 PM

I've never had a hard drive that big, so i've never had a chance, best of luck though, all the other acronis stuff i've used worked brilliantly.
m
0
l
August 8, 2013 3:23:14 PM

Jaxem said:
I've never had a hard drive that big, so i've never had a chance, best of luck though, all the other acronis stuff i've used worked brilliantly.


thanks....I agree....Acronis has been way on top....I'll give it a shot. Thanks so much for your help....
m
0
l
!