Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

How to get eyefinity + TV working with my setup?

Tags:
  • TV
  • How To
  • Music
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
August 8, 2013 1:57:30 AM

Hello.
I plan to get a eyefinity setup, but before I pull the order trigger, I'd like to make sure that everything will work out.

I want to get a eyefinity setup and still use my TV for music / films (aka, I want to beable to play in eyefinity and at the same time, let my GF either lissen to music or watch a film). I do not need 2 sound sources.

My setup is: (That matters)
I5 3570K
Z77 MPOWER ATX
Sapphire 7970 ( I know it only supports 3x screens at the same time apperently).
My screen: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-IPS277L

From what I understand inorder to get eyefinity to work, you need to use DisplayPort, so I was thinking

Screen 1: DisplayPort adapter > HDMI
Screen 2: HDMI > HDMI
Screen 3: DVI adapter > VGA

and then I would use the intergrated GPU for the TV so
TV would be HDMI > HDMI


So my questions are:
1) Would this setup work out?
2) Would I beable to watch a movie and play in Eyefinity at the same time?
3) Anything else I should think about?

More about : eyefinity working setup

a b x TV
August 8, 2013 2:13:13 AM

it will work fine but you need to make sure you have an ACTIVE display port to HDMI adapter, if its not an Active adapter it will not work.

you also need to make sure your motherboard is set to not disable the integrated graphics when a pcie card is inserted.

like this adapter, http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-1920x1200-Display-Adap...

the cheaper adapters are only passive and will not work for this setup.
m
0
l
August 8, 2013 2:14:53 AM

mauller07 said:
it will work fine but you need to make sure you have an ACTIVE display port to HDMI adapter, if its not an Active adapter it will not work.

you also need to make sure your motherboard is set to not disable the integrated graphics when a pcie card is inserted.

like this adapter, http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-1920x1200-Display-Adap...

the cheaper adapters are only passive and will not work for this setup.

Thanks! But that adapter you linked will not work. It's mini display! But I get your point!
m
0
l
Related resources
August 8, 2013 3:12:03 AM

mauller07 said:
then you want this one mate ;) 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-1920x1200-Display-Adap...


No it's not! :D  It's the same!
However, I've been looking around myself (I live in Sweden) and I am having trouble finding a active displayport > hdmi adapter.. I can only find a DP > DVI http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardvara/136913-xfx_disp... for example.

Would it work to do this connection insted:
Screen 1: DisplayPort adapter > DVI > VGA
Screen 2: HDMI > HDMI
Screen 3: DVI adapter > VGA
m
0
l
a b x TV
August 8, 2013 3:42:13 AM

the fak lol, i was sure i definitely copied the link for the page with the normal display port version, here it is on amazon.com if you can order from it.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-DP2HDS-DisplayPort-C...

but with a dvi version you should be able to use a dvi to hdmi adapter on the end since they use the same signal.
m
0
l
August 8, 2013 6:44:48 AM

fbgkimpan said:
Hello.
I plan to get a eyefinity setup, but before I pull the order trigger, I'd like to make sure that everything will work out.

I want to get a eyefinity setup and still use my TV for music / films (aka, I want to beable to play in eyefinity and at the same time, let my GF either lissen to music or watch a film). I do not need 2 sound sources.

My setup is: (That matters)
I5 3570K
Z77 MPOWER ATX
Sapphire 7970 ( I know it only supports 3x screens at the same time apperently).
My screen: http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-IPS277L

From what I understand inorder to get eyefinity to work, you need to use DisplayPort, so I was thinking

Screen 1: DisplayPort adapter > HDMI
Screen 2: HDMI > HDMI
Screen 3: DVI adapter > VGA

and then I would use the intergrated GPU for the TV so
TV would be HDMI > HDMI


So my questions are:
1) Would this setup work out?
2) Would I beable to watch a movie and play in Eyefinity at the same time?
3) Anything else I should think about?


Whats the exact 7970 you have, does it have more than one displayport? If so you can most likely run all 4 screens from it (I run 4 screens from my 7950). Also, speaking from experience, avoid going VGA when using EyeFinity if at all possible.

Once you do get it up and running, playing movies should work just fine for most games, but keep in mind there are some games that I've run into that when running full screen seem to stop all video from playing on other monitors.
m
0
l
August 8, 2013 6:58:53 AM

AdioKIP said:

Whats the exact 7970 you have, does it have more than one displayport? If so you can most likely run all 4 screens from it (I run 4 screens from my 7950). Also, speaking from experience, avoid going VGA when using EyeFinity if at all possible.

Once you do get it up and running, playing movies should work just fine for most games, but keep in mind there are some games that I've run into that when running full screen seem to stop all video from playing on other monitors.


I have the Sapphire 7970 ( http://www.komplett.se/k/ki.aspx?sku=759805#info ). It has
1 x HDMI (with 3D)
1 x DisplayPort
1 x Dual-Link DVI-I
1 x Single-Link DVI-D

The intergrated card has
1x HDMI
1x DisplayPort

The screens has HDMI or VGA only.

But! What if I do like this then?
Screen1: DisplayPort adapter > HDMI
Screen 2: HDMI > HDMI
Screen 3: DVI adapter > HDMI ( http://www.netonnet.se/ItemImages/tv-och-bild/kabel-och... )

Then TV with HDMI > HDMI through intergrated.


I am just worried that it will be too many HDMI signals? Im not sure I think I read somwhere that you cant have more than 1 HDMI signal at the same time.. is that right or am I just wrong?



I mostly lissen to music at the same time as I game. Very rare that I watch a movie or that my GF does at the same time as I play or the other way around.
However, due to being alot easier with a HDMI always connect I rather do it if its possible.. otherwise I suppose I HAVE to do like this:
Get like a AUX to Aux cord and use that when I dont watch movies and disconnect one screen when I want to watch movies or something.
m
0
l
a b x TV
August 8, 2013 7:17:30 AM

his 7970 does only support 3 monitors.

the tv connected to the integrate will be fine, just go into bios and make sure its not set to disable it with a discrete card inserted and grab the active displayport to hdmi adapter.

with the active display port to dvi adapters you cant use a dvi to vga adapter as it only converts a dvi signal.
m
0
l

Best solution

August 9, 2013 6:47:07 AM

Ok, the easiest way for you to do it is going to be.

1x HDMI
1x Displayport to DVI (Active Adapter) + DVI to HDMI Cable
1x DVI to HDMI Cable

That will handle all your monitors, then just run HDMI from your onboard to your TV.

As far as too many HMI sigals. In my setup I have 2x Displayport monitors, 1x that goes DVI to HDMI, then 1x HDMI to my receiver. The limitations on your card are that out of the 3x non display ports (2x dvi, 1 hdmi) you can only use 2 of them at a time. You're going to want to use the HDMI and Dual link DVI, but keep in mind, DVI and HDMI work the same minus the audio, so anytime you have one connection you dont need an adapter, just an HDMI to DVI cord.
Share
!