770 Gaming 4gb vs other?

JoseyMG

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
So newegg has the 770 gaming editiong, 4gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127747

I was thinking of getting the lightning since its slightly faster and better OCer im hearing. BUT its only 2gb. I game at 1080p. I know i wont need more than 2gb of vram NOW, but what about in the future when games start using more of it? I want to kind of future proof my rig, so im getting 2 770s. Not sure which ones, like i said its either the gaming editions which for some reason are 4gb, ive only seen the 2. OR the gigabyte ones which looks ugly as hell but its also 4gb and they are colder than a polar bears toes. Help me choose guys :T The gaming suits my color scheme perfectly. Gigabyte cools nicely. But i already have a case with great airflow, so heat is really not an issue. :/

Solution
IF you are going SLI go for the 4 GB version. As stated 2 GB is the bare minimum NOW. a 770 SLI setup of 4 GB you gotta make it earn its way through 2-3 years. The lightning is faster sure, but you wont really see much difference in 5 or 7 fps gain vs the gaming model. I honestly believe that current gaming card should come with 2.5 GB or 3 GB minimum.

I remember in 2011 I bought a 560 TI 1 GB, it was the "standard" as 2 GB is the standard now. After some months I started feeling the "I should have bought the 2 GB version".

Currently I have more than 2 GB after playin bioshock infinite I have seen it using around 2.2 GB in some areas.

centaurius

Distinguished
May 2, 2012
IF you are going SLI go for the 4 GB version. As stated 2 GB is the bare minimum NOW. a 770 SLI setup of 4 GB you gotta make it earn its way through 2-3 years. The lightning is faster sure, but you wont really see much difference in 5 or 7 fps gain vs the gaming model. I honestly believe that current gaming card should come with 2.5 GB or 3 GB minimum.

I remember in 2011 I bought a 560 TI 1 GB, it was the "standard" as 2 GB is the standard now. After some months I started feeling the "I should have bought the 2 GB version".

Currently I have more than 2 GB after playin bioshock infinite I have seen it using around 2.2 GB in some areas.

Solution